Summer Surf Trips

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
This time of year they appear a tad smaller from the photos i've seen ... haven't personally surfed that far north. Last couple of south swells the angle has been really steep - around 210 deg .... i like to see it anywhere between 216 and 220. Forecast is looking good - should be shoulder/head high or better for the next week and a half or so. Where in Nica are you going to? Have a good flight.
Arrived yesterday afternoon, cant sleep so posting. At Asseradoras beach, pretty far north, the beach break out front was shoulder to head high, wind on it. Went out for a couple anyway, place packs a bit of a punch. Will see what today brings?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
At Flores right now,, third day, and for overall surf schedule the winds have been great and tides spot on:
- in water from 5am - 8am
-breakfast
-relax/nap
-lunch
-relalx/nap
-back in the water at 3pm/4pm till sunset
-beers
-dinner
-chill
-go to bed

-repeat
@JeffRSpicoli Back yet? Curious what the local vax/mask situation and Covid test-getting experience was like.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
My summer trip has absolutely nothing to do with surf. I surf too much already in world class waves at home, why pay money to go somewhere and do the same same?

Nah, if I can get someone to care for my mom for a week or two, I'm heading for my buddies home off grid in the Pyrenees. Due lives in a hunting shelter he turned into a full time residence inside a national park. Solar, for hot water and fotovoltaic, all the comforts of a normal home, only tucked away between alpine water falls and lakes. Had to have all the building equipment and supplies helicoptered in to the site. Couple of days hike from any other people, but completely surrounded by the two things we lack most here, tall trees with forrestal vegetation and huge amounts of fresh water everywhere.

:jamon::monkey::bowdown::applause2::waving::shaka:

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Got a month free mid summer and trying to make the most of it and get some surf without it being purely a surf trip. Wife wants to go to Maldives but it seems like monsoon, band winds and iffy weather. Too much risk of dropping all that cash and getting skunked. Might end up doing France/Spain, into Bordeaux and out of Bilbao, probably not even worth bringing a board along.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
@JeffRSpicoli Back yet? Curious what the local vax/mask situation and Covid test-getting experience was like.
I went last summer and the guides took me to a small town with a clinic that had a sadistic nurse that loved shoving the q-tip into my gringo skull. Results in 30min. but in my opinion it was a $50 donation to the clinic for a negative test result no matter what the Q-tip officially says.

Stayed at Mango’s and the Health Ministry did come by to check on the staff wearing masks but didn’t care about the guests.

Have had other friends travel on the Westside recently and had zero problems getting in and out of the country.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Arrived yesterday afternoon, cant sleep so posting. At Asseradoras beach, pretty far north, the beach break out front was shoulder to head high, wind on it. Went out for a couple anyway, place packs a bit of a punch. Will see what today brings?
Trip report!

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
We're moving the kid up to Chico in late June. Going to water ski and fish on Lake Sonoma on our way up. Then, bike and swim in Bidwell Park once we arrive in Chico. No surf trips so far this year but definitely going back to Kauai in 2023.

Reactions: Truth

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Homeward bound on Saturday.
No masks required, totally optional.
-never had to show proof of vaccination (as I recall a few IPAs prior to landing)
Testing to get back to States is 24 hour window prior to departure, so test tomorrow, fly home Saturday.
-super easy to get a test, I’ll let you know if the one I’m getting is ‘authorized’

Overall it’s been a completely seamless experience.

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
My summer trip has absolutely nothing to do with surf. I surf too much already in world class waves at home, why pay money to go somewhere and do the same same?

Nah, if I can get someone to care for my mom for a week or two, I'm heading for my buddies home off grid in the Pyrenees. Due lives in a hunting shelter he turned into a full time residence inside a national park. Solar, for hot water and fotovoltaic, all the comforts of a normal home, only tucked away between alpine water falls and lakes. Had to have all the building equipment and supplies helicoptered in to the site. Couple of days hike from any other people, but completely surrounded by the two things we lack most here, tall trees with forrestal vegetation and huge amounts of fresh water everywhere.

:jamon::monkey::bowdown::applause2::waving::shaka:
This sounds beautiful. I might give up surfing to live this life... OK, give it up for 6 months a year... OK, give it up for 3 months a year.

Soundsa epic

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Homeward bound on Saturday.
No masks required, totally optional.
-never had to show proof of vaccination (as I recall a few IPAs prior to landing)
Testing to get back to States is 24 hour window prior to departure, so test tomorrow, fly home Saturday.
-super easy to get a test, I’ll let you know if the one I’m getting is ‘authorized’

Overall it’s been a completely seamless experience.
Super-thanks!

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Going Montana for a month bookended by a week at my parents' place this summer. No surf trips planned, but I did get invited to go to the boom in Nica at the end of May. Worth it?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Going Montana for a month bookended by a week at my parents' place this summer. No surf trips planned, but I did get invited to go to the boom in Nica at the end of May. Worth it?
I would say yes, if you like Central American beach breaks that can be semi closed out depending on swell and sand.