Can anyone explain these water temps?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Current eddy?

Little swirls of goodness can break off from the Gulf Stream; these can contain concentrations of bait and gamefish, and sometimes, they swirly in to a place like the Outer Banks and the water can really warm up.

Torrey Pines outer and Mission Bay west show some little bumps as well.

Maybe a great big seal hauled out on it, took a **** on the buoy, and marinated there in the afternoon sun for a spell?

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
spring in socal
when you grab your 3/2 for a dawn patrol and freeze your ass off, so 2 days later you grab your 4/3 and the water has jumped 8 degrees and you are sweating, so then of course the next day you grab your 2 mil spring and the water dropped below 60 again. At my advanced age too warm is better than too cold, once my core gets cold I surf like an old man, which I am.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
when you grab your 3/2 for a dawn patrol and freeze your ass off, so 2 days later you grab your 4/3 and the water has jumped 8 degrees and you are sweating, so then of course the next day you grab your 2 mil spring and the water dropped below 60 again.
Weird thing is how the buoys don't always register the temp change. Guess it's the physical extent of the upwelling.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
must have been a weird reading or where it was placed.

Also, what a lot of people don't know is that a lot of the buoys are quite aways offshore and the water is usually warmer. I've left the harbor and the water is 62/63 at the mouth then about ten miles out it's just over 70. This is in the summer of course but it's usually true year round.

I'd be curious to know why this particular even caused the unusually cold water. 53 reported off Mission and Oceanside. Crazy.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
805 Spring every year colder then winter "upwelling" water almost all Winter 56 recently recorded 53 but it did rise.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
April is the cruelest month
For you.

For us I'd say it's July. Some of the longest days of the year; also some of the flattest, hottest, and most crowded.

April is the best weather month in North Florida on average and, in my opinion, is often better than the heralded Hurricane Season months if we don't have a good year. Add in the longer days and it's a weiner!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
when you grab your 3/2 for a dawn patrol and freeze your ass off, so 2 days later you grab your 4/3 and the water has jumped 8 degrees and you are sweating, so then of course the next day you grab your 2 mil spring and the water dropped below 60 again. At my advanced age too warm is better than too cold, once my core gets cold I surf like an old man, which I am.
It was summer in at sunset and the water had been warm and then there was upwelling and it was super cold but I paddled out anyway.

I wiped out on a wave and the white water dragged me down to the bottom where the water was freezing and somehow my loose surf shirt got pulled over my head and as I was pinned to the sand, I was thinking, "This is the worst feeling I have ever felt in my life." :roflmao:

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Weird thing is how the buoys don't always register the temp change. Guess it's the physical extent of the upwelling.
complex circulation in the Southern California bight - the answer is not just the wind or the sun, it also involves circulation.

warm and cold pools exist and that’s what you’re seeing hit the moorings when temps jump around. unfortunately moorings are Eulerian and the water needs to move past it to be registered and there aren’t that many moorings given the coast line complexity. If we had more measurements you’d see a better dispersion of the pools.

surely you’ve sat in the lineup and felt a warm pool and then cold pool drift past you. pretend you’re the mooring and that’s what is happening.

Reactions: Mr Doof and Aruka

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
You are all a bunch of SCIENCE DENIERS!!!
This is clearly the result of CLIMATE CHANGE. :foreheadslap: