How's the bond market?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Or just keep your money in a savings account, where it's guaranteed to lose money.
If your currency is the USD you're most likely losing money right now, period.

That is, unless you invested in commodities months ago.

If you're holding typically weighted portfolios right now you're definitely losing money, likely at nearly double the rate of inflation or worse. Your money is actually better in a savings account.

The overwhelming majority of people are about to see the bottom drop out of their sh!t. Doesn't matter where you're keeping your money.

If the stock market goes, the Fed will see recession and the rate hikes are off the table. Money's gonna flow into bonds and inflation will take off...the dollar will tank.

If the bond market goes stocks are gonna follow.

With bond yields rising as fast as they are I'm thinking the bond market might very well be the catalyst.

Then those rate hikes will be off the table and they'll do another round of easing and inflation will skyrocket.

This is going to be a real problem really no way the debt monetization scheme we've been operating can continue in either scenario.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Mortgages already moving close to 5%, demand down 20%.

It's going to be interesting to see how the real estate market behaves through this.

It was mentioned to me a scenario where prices stay high due to supply constriction as all borrowing rates increase.

People are heavily in debt - CC debt equal or above 2008 - many households can't tolerate paying their mortgage on one income alone right now, not to mention with inflation skyrocketing.

At the same time Boomers are set to continue croaking, leaving their kids as heirs to their properties...if they can pay the taxes and possibly the remainder of their mortgage. How likely is that in a recession, or worse?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
FUD FUD FUD

SKY IS FALLING

When you make these sorts of predictions for long enough, eventually those once a generation events will happen and then you can claim you were right after droning on about it for a decades.

There is not a single 20 year span in stock market history where you would not have made money on the SP500. Even through the Great Depression, world wars, 9/11, the housing crash, and Covid. Even if we have another black Monday, those who have been in the market for even the last 3-5 years will still do better than those who put that same amount into savings accounts.

Real estate has an even steadier trend line. Savings rates have increased in recent years. Lots of people with well paying jobs and cash are on the sidelines, and inventory will continue to be constrained for years to come because we don’t build enough.

You’re obviously a great saver, but every one of your posts when it comes to personal finance and investment reads like someone who was raised by great depression era parents who think every form of debt is bad and all investments are too risky.

Reactions: bird.LA

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
FUD FUD FUD

SKY IS FALLING

When you make these sorts of predictions for long enough, eventually those once a generation events will happen and then you can claim you were right after droning on about it for a decades.

It's kinda like smoking or accumulation of massive CC debt.

Eventually it catches up with you.

These changes do not happen overnight, in our case these changes that are beginning to occur are related to years of monetary policy and the way we finance the government...we've taken reckless advantage of the power of the dollar.

There is not a single 20 year span in stock market history where you would not have made money on the SP500. Even through the Great Depression, world wars, 9/11, the housing crash, and Covid. Even if we have another black Monday
I don't disagree.

those who have been in the market for even the last 3-5 years will still do better than those who put that same amount into savings accounts.
Of course.

Now they will experience a reset, followed by real world gains.

Hopefully those gains will outpace inflation.

Real estate has an even steadier trend line. Savings rates have increased in recent years. Lots of people with well paying jobs and cash are on the sidelines, and inventory will continue to be constrained for years to come because we don’t build enough.
I don't disagree in the long term.

In the short term I think you overestimate the liquidity of most people and underestimate the reality of recession.

See if you can find the data relating to March CC usage, it would be telling.

You’re obviously a great saver, but every one of your posts when it comes to personal finance and investment reads like someone who was raised by great depression era parents who think every form of debt is bad and all investments are too risky.
I never said all investments are too risky.

And yes, for most people, every form of debt is bad, as most people do not understand basic economics and lack little understanding beyond the most very basic principles of leverage.

If you know what you're doing then by all means go for it.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It's kinda like smoking or accumulation of massive CC debt.

Eventually it catches up with you.
I don't disagree that the fookery is endless and that kicking the can down the road only makes things worse. The lockdowns and $5T of monopoly money were the icing on the cake after 2+ decades of idiocy.

Now they will experience a reset, followed by real world gains.

Hopefully those gains will outpace inflation.
Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Maybe we will return to 8-10% interest rates and your savings account will actually do something for you.

In the short term I think you overestimate the liquidity of most people and underestimate the reality of recession.
Most people? Agreed. However there are plenty of people in the top 20% bracket who want to get into the market but are being priced/bid out. A dip in price will allow them to get into the market as long as they are still employed.

If we really go into a recession, prices will continue to fall and rents will actually go up, making those properties more appealing to investors. These things are cyclical.

See if you can find the data relating to March CC usage, it would be telling.
Sure, but that's nothing new.

I never said all investments are too risky.
OK, but that's the general tone of all your posts. Whereas the risk of losing money in a savings account is 100% certain.

And yes, for most people, every form of debt is bad, as most people do not understand basic economics and lack little understanding beyond the most very basic principles of leverage.

If you know what you're doing then by all means go for it.
Of course, and if you are in debt because you buy stuff and other depreciating assets then you have no business taking on more complicated forms of debt. That said, leveraging debt in a smart way is how average joes can get rich and the rich get even richer. I heard somewhere that it's easier to go from $100K in assets to $1M in net worth than it is to go from $0 to $100K. Not sure if that's 100% true or if I'm misphrasing it, but I can see how that could easily be true and would be very tough to do without some form of debt and/or investment strategy.

Reactions: bird.LA

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Of course, and if you are in debt because you buy stuff and other depreciating assets then you have no business taking on more complicated forms of debt. That said, leveraging debt in a smart way is how average joes can get rich and the rich get even richer. I heard somewhere that it's easier to go from $100K in assets to $1M in net worth than it is to go from $0 to $100K. Not sure if that's 100% true or if I'm misphrasing it, but I can see how that could easily be true and would be very tough to do without some form of debt and/or investment strategy.
Takes money to make money...and if it is someone else's, great!

As such, I thank Wells Fargo for the initial home loan approval (didn't take long before WF sold it to Nationwide).

PS

I think in May, when the numbers reset, the Series I bond could see 8.5% interest or more.

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
If your currency is the USD you're most likely losing money right now, period.

That is, unless you invested in commodities months ago.

If you're holding typically weighted portfolios right now you're definitely losing money, likely at nearly double the rate of inflation or worse. Your money is actually better in a savings account.

The overwhelming majority of people are about to see the bottom drop out of their sh!t. Doesn't matter where you're keeping your money.

If the stock market goes, the Fed will see recession and the rate hikes are off the table. Money's gonna flow into bonds and inflation will take off...the dollar will tank.

If the bond market goes stocks are gonna follow.

With bond yields rising as fast as they are I'm thinking the bond market might very well be the catalyst.

Then those rate hikes will be off the table and they'll do another round of easing and inflation will skyrocket.

This is going to be a real problem really no way the debt monetization scheme we've been operating can continue in either scenario.
You seem quite knowledgeable! I have a degree in economics and I don't care or know anything about interest rates, bonds or anything like that. All stocks all the time.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You seem quite knowledgeable! I have a degree in economics and I don't care or know anything about interest rates, bonds or anything like that. All stocks all the time.
I’m thinking once we pivot back to QE because the stock market tanks and inflation starts to takeoff we are going to see rent controls being widely implemented on the local level. Congress will vote for price controls on commodities. Should be fun.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
taking financial advice/insight/analysis from a nurse. bout as helpful as taking medical advice/inisght/analysis from a film editor. :cheers:
One thing is for certain.

The pros definitely get it right.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island