Over 50 and still surfing thread - Old Mans Point.

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Will be 71 in a week...kneeboarding has been bery bery good to me...hardest part now is just getting into and out of the gol darn wetsuit...a good buddy who worked at Cleanline in Seaside had Rip Curl make a 5/4 back zip for the older guys but I'm still using Hotline with the full shoulder zip. I surf a far-norcal point break and when it's good, I'm out there!
last may invested in a sup and borrowed a kneeboard in anticipation of "becoming more of a kook every year" by far i found the kneeboard far more difficult... after my return from hawaii surfing quite a few good waves... maybe I should be not so quick on the transition.... and if the point was my homebreak ii be a no brainer im mean you could ride a door out there

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Not trying to underestimate pure fun of riding a wave and glide etc I am thinking more of less gear better and good exercise for me to be able to swim and surf and not have to worry about duck diving a board under waves:shaka:
I use ear plugs, so I love to duck dive anything under 6 foot, because it's fun. Bigger than that, or heavier, I just roll off my board, so my back is to the wave, and let my leash do its job. Anyone else use ear plugs?

Last edited:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
@npsp is probably one of those, but I don't think he's that old or silver haired.
Ha!
I've definitely got the gray hair thing going but not yet into my 60s....
Most of us are in our mid to late 50s with a smattering of 60+ guys still going at it. The Beresford brothers, Billy Lerner and Steve Yamamoto are still packing deep ones at 55+. I'm just trying to keep up with them.

Reactions: Boneroni and kawika

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
unless ur kneelo guy, taking off on ur knees is lame.

injury and disability aside, if you havent figured out equipment, wave selection and positioning for a low drama take off by the time ur 50, you are

either a val
a kook
or a val kook

lots of guys getting barreled and ripping into their 60's.

don't make excuses. if you have been surfing for 40+ years you know what to do

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I use ear plugs, so I love to duck dive anything under 6 foot, because it's fun. Bigger than that, or heavier, I would just roll off my board, so my back is to the wave, and let my leash do its job. Anyone else use ear plugs?
I use plugs last 5 years I have loved surf ears before I changed yearly and used surf docs with swivel hook attached to zipper. For reason above I would prefer body surf if I could no longer control my own board with out having to bail and use leash. You become a danger to others and even your self "5150":cheers: Funny I have a 5150 coming any day 8th week on custom stretch love name and hope its fire I need to continue to enjoy surf all conditions for another 10 years a least:shaka:

Reactions: b.r.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
I use plugs last 5 years I have loved surf ears before I changed yearly and used surf docs with swivel hook attached to zipper. For reason above I would prefer body surf if I could no longer control my own board with out having to bail and use leash. You become a danger to others and even your self "5150":cheers: Funny I have a 5150 coming any day 8th week on custom stretch love name and hope its fire I need to continue to enjoy surf all conditions for another 10 years a least:shaka:
I am always away from the crowd when I just roll off and use my leash, rather than try to duck dive a difficult wave. I always leave a lot of space between myself and others so my board will never be a hazard. Yes, let's enjoy surfing for another 10 years at least.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Good to read Bob! Here is an FYI only. PSAs at 6 months and one year significantly dropped. Urologist put me on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) after the prostate/cancerous tumor removal. Although ‘new’ PSAs could not be produced because of the prostate’s removal my PSAs jumped up significantly. TBH it scared the hell out of me. Urologist had me stop the TRT for almost 2 months and the PSAs dropped to 0.01. Urologist said testosterone played a role in the PSA levels…. Keep in mind as you go forward. Good luck amigo!!! John
Thanks! I will continue to be careful.

Reactions: john4surf

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Not over 50 yet but you guys give me hope. Years ago I remember thinking I might not want to surf past 50. Cold water is not friendly to older joints.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Paddled out at one of the regular spots I surf today and announced it was my birthday and a couple guys gave me some good ones. My first left of my new trip around the sun was a speed run and I tagged it a couple times and blew out the fins twice according to the peanut gallery. Probably f ing with the old man.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Not over 50 yet but you guys give me hope. Years ago I remember thinking I might not want to surf past 50. Cold water is not friendly to older joints.
You have no idea!

Shoots, I wear a 4/3 and reef booties here in the 3 winter months.... and it's no where near cold here.

If I only had the cold water choice I would have become a golfer long long ago.

:shameonyou:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

injury and disability aside, if you havent figured out equipment, wave selection and positioning for a low drama take off by the time ur 50, you are

either a val
a kook
or a val kook

I wouldn't say there are a lot of guys getting barrelled and ripping in their 60s. A lot more are on the sidelines due to injuries. Cheers to the ones who still get out there and find a way.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Every year for about the last 6 years, as winter approaches I've told myself I probably won't do the whole winter but each year I can't resist.
Luckily this has been the warmest winter I can remember in the UK and I've got through it in a 4/3 (+boots/gloves/hood) rather than 5/3 or 5/4 - its made enough difference to keep me upbeat this year. My joints are mostly toast & I do spend less time in the water in winter (& summer) these days.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Every year for about the last 6 years, as winter approaches I've told myself I probably won't do the whole winter but each year I can't resist.
Luckily this has been the warmest winter I can remember in the UK and I've got through it in a 4/3 (+boots/gloves/hood) rather than 5/3 or 5/4 - its made enough difference to keep me upbeat this year. My joints are mostly toast & I do spend less time in the water in winter (& summer) these days.
How was the superstorm a couple weeks ago for you?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

either a val
a kook
or a val kook

Plenty of older surfers take off on their knees on occasion, especially those who grew up when kneeboards were really a thing.

Including some of the most famous surfers from that generation.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Looked crazy!! saw some pics from my family, minor damage for all luckily.
That's good. But now you've reminded me I didn't get any photos of the destruction!
Thing is with climate change its only getting worse, so where possible we are replacing fence with hedging.