The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
New 4/3 flasbomb was toasty in 45 degree water, 33 degree air and sunny with 10-15mph offshore today in the obx. Super stoked how quick it dries and my ripcurls in the past have been excellent ,but ive been in an xcel drylock that's falling apart after year 3. My feet and hands got cold being in 2 mm gloves and leaky 7mm boots but my body was cooking.

I'm 5'11 and 170 and got an xl on sale. It fits perfect everywhere except an inch long in the legs. Definitely snug and harder to get on/off than the xcel but there's no flushing at all. The zipper is a bitch I will say having to hook the zipper from the outside then zip inwards.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
New 4/3 flasbomb was toasty in 45 degree water, 33 degree air and sunny with 10-15mph offshore today in the obx. Super stoked how quick it dries and my ripcurls in the past have been excellent ,but ive been in an xcel drylock that's falling apart after year 3. My feet and hands got cold being in 2 mm gloves and leaky 7mm boots but my body was cooking.

I'm 5'11 and 170 and got an xl on sale. It fits perfect everywhere except an inch long in the legs. Definitely snug and harder to get on/off than the xcel but there's no flushing at all. The zipper is a bitch I will say having to hook the zipper from the outside then zip inwards.
IMO flashbomb is far and away the best suit out there.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Same. My 2015 Xcel Drylock 5/4 got me through that really cold 2015/2016 winter.

The one I bought in 2020 to replace it has been leaky in the crotch from the get go. Unfortunately the 5/4 Psychotech that everyone was raving about, is just much less warm than the Drylock even if better made. More stretch = less warm?

Probably try Vissla next.

The suits I see here in the NE in winter are mainly Xcel, Hyperflex and Vissla these days. They all seem to fall apart fairly quick which sucks balls when you just spent $500 on a new Drylock and you get a season out of it. The Vissla's and Hyperflex's are cheaper so it stings less I suppose. Pal buys oneill's only and swears by em, his suits seem to last for a long time but the technosplooge seems to stretch out making the suit eventually unusable. Up til 2016 or so Xcel drylock 5/4 was the goto for almost everyone I know, then something changed and they started falling apart.

Reactions: ZeeHawk

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Same. My 2015 Xcel Drylock 5/4 got me through that really cold 2015/2016 winter.

The one I bought in 2020 to replace it has been leaky in the crotch from the get go. Unfortunately the 5/4 Psychotech that everyone was raving about, is just much less warm than the Drylock even if better made. More stretch = less warm?

Probably try Vissla next.
I'm seeing a lot of Buell lately. Does anyone have any comments on these?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm seeing a lot of Buell lately. Does anyone have any comments on these?
I was all set on getting the Subdivision DR1 4mm and was turned off after trying one on. Buell trims the top portion of the inner flap with nylon, greatly reducing how wide you can open the thing up to get over your shoulders. I found it to be one of the most difficult suits I've ever had to put on. The neck was super tight, where I felt like Fat Bastard's doppelgänger. I'm 6' 165lbs and tried on an MT. With that said, numerous shop guys (early 20's) from my local shop love the Subdivision line.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I have an RB1.

Pros: Super soft and flexible

Cons: Not the warmest suit. Seam taping binds a little bit in the shoulders but it doesn't really affect anything. No cinch cord. You have to thread the zipper.

I call it a decent suit for the price but I think Visslas seem better built for about the same price.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
pshycho 1 is such a great suit. Wish they'd make it with chest panels. I guess that's the pshychofreak though
I think they do that for flexibility. Less panels less stitching less stiffness.

it’s the best 4/3 I’ve owned in a while. I have a hard time believing it’s as warm as it is as I never get “hot” like some other 4/3s but I have never been cold in it.

Reactions: MathDebater

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Tried out the 8mm solite boots today...heat molded them last night and used the 1mm socks that come with em. Air low 30's water 40...they fit kind of amazing after the molding and are by far the warmest booties I've ever known. 3 1/2 hr session with some long lulls and my feet never went bad...usually after hr 2 or so I start to feel it with 7mm drylock boots. That said the soles are really hard, and it feels a lot like wearing shoes while surfing, which is definitely not cool... I am going to give them one more session but the shoe feeling is a bummer.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Thanks for the update. My feet were really cold after 2+ hours in my 7mm Drylocks yesterday. I could probably live with the hard soles if I could feel my feet.

Do you size up or down. I'm a 10.5 and I wear 11's in Drylocks and they fit great. Solite recommends going down but I was thinking with the 1mm sock should I go up? I guess doesn't matter as they are sold out. Got a note that my size was back in but they must have just had 1 pair because by the time I clicked it was gone.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Thanks for the update. My feet were really cold after 2+ hours in my 7mm Drylocks yesterday. I could probably live with the hard soles if I could feel my feet.

Do you size up or down. I'm a 10.5 and I wear 11's in Drylocks and they fit great. Solite recommends going down but I was thinking with the 1mm sock should I go up? I guess doesn't matter as they are sold out. Got a note that my size was back in but they must have just had 1 pair because by the time I clicked it was gone.
Size down! The molding will expand to fit your feet, but not shrink at all.

Reactions: oeste858