Is Herd Immunity Still A Thing?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Probably not.

Just like the Spanish (aka American) flu, we will never achieve herd immunity and this thing is with us pretty much forever.

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
No. The goalposts will keep moving until 99% of the population has had 47 booster shots.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think the fact that the unvaccinated are way, way more likely to get very sick and/or die than the vaccinated is no longer debatable.

What I worry about is that given Covid's propensity to mutate, it comes up with a variant of itself that is as transmissable as Omicron but very deadly.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think the fact that the unvaccinated are way, way more likely to get very sick and/or die than the vaccinated is no longer debatable.

What I worry about is that given Covid's propensity to mutate, it comes up with a variant of itself that is as transmissable as Omicron but very deadly.
From what I understand, viruses tend to evolve to become more contagious but less deadly. Ultra contagious and ultra deadly is not a viable survival strategy.

Full disclaimer: In case you didn't know already, I'm 100% Mongoloid and have no actual experience in this line of work.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
why did Trump push herd immunity so hard?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

You're mistakenly thinking I am or was opposed to the idea of Herd Immunity.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

you probably just made the blocked user list with that one.

You're mistakenly thinking I am or was opposed to the idea of Herd Immunity.

problem is:

1. herd immunity has never been achieved through natural means.

2. the preponderance of the scientific data is teaching us that we probably won't reach herd immunity even with vaccines because the virus mutates and because too few people got the shot quickly enough to beat down the virus.

So, I guess we're stuck with the covid just like we're stuck with the Spanish (aka American) flu at least for the remainder of Homo sapiens' time here on earth. The good news is that it probably won't be too much longer in the grand scheme of earth at the rate we're going.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think the original idea was pushed was that we let it burn through the population and the species would adapt.

This idea was poo-pooed because of all the carnage it would create.

Now that the omicron is much more transmissible that is going to happen whether we like it our not. Mitigation won't work at this point.

Luckily for humans it's not as deadly.

All the steps that people were loosing their sh!t about were to mitigate carnage.

It seems that some people don't mind carnage if they don't think they are are going to be the carnage in the Covid Supreme carnage asada burrito.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Wouldn't it be the unborn kids who would be evolving to immunity while adults just have hope their immune system catches up and stays alert?

Last edited: