Fins

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I have a quad fin longboard like Ben Aipa used to make.

9 x 24 x 4

I only use it in big surf in Hawaii that requires covering ground quick.

For some reason the fins on it seem off. The board is super sensitive to turns and seems to turn way too sharp on even the slightest amount of input.

Anyone have any suggestions on fins to use?

Right now it’s the Danny Hess quads from True Ames. Maybe they’re too big and stiff?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Someone told me less is more on large boards
yes, go small the bigger the board's rail line
it relational to the rail line, outline curve and rocker
think of your engaged rail as just another fin probably the most important fin the longer the board gets. Flatter rocker and straighter outline means more fin and vice versa. Wide point makes a difference too. stiffer further forward looser further back.

I'd go with perhaps something around 4 1/2" with a rake and profile depending on how much "extra" drive you need especially for a quad which is adding even more fin than a thruster. 9' is allot of rail.

If their sale is still on the GL, AM and Taylor Knox mediums/smalls in Apex G10 have a good profile.
I think you want stiff fins with a thinning narrow tip for a larger board especially surfing country.

forgot to ask FCS or futures?
20141111_104626.jpg
20141111_113824-2.jpg
fins2.jpg
IMG_20140901_182420.jpg

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
They are

I’m thinking due to the size of the board the fins prob too big. Someone told me less is more on large boards
Depends on the size of the board and the width of the tail.

HPLBs tend to have pretty narrow tails so big fins + narrow tails can equal pretty reactive turning.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Depends on the size of the board and the width of the tail.

HPLBs tend to have pretty narrow tails so big fins + narrow tails can equal pretty reactive turning.
ahh.

Thats what it is.

It is a HPLB and I think the narrow tail is not vibing well with the huge Hess fins.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
yes, go small the bigger the board's rail line
it relational to the rail line, outline curve and rocker
think of your engaged rail as just another fin probably the most important fin the longer the board gets. Flatter rocker and straighter outline means more fin and vice versa. Wide point makes a difference too. stiffer further forward looser further back.

I'd go with perhaps something around 4 1/2" with a rake and profile depending on how much "extra" drive you need especially for a quad which is adding even more fin than a thruster. 9' is allot of rail.

If their sale is still on the GL, AM and Taylor Knox mediums/smalls in Apex G10 have a good profile.
I think you want stiff fins with a thinning narrow tip for a larger board especially surfing country.

forgot to ask FCS or futures?
View attachment 120239
View attachment 120240
View attachment 120242
View attachment 120241
Futures. How you like the NVS ones? I may order.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
They're okay but G10 is heavy
used to like the old Futures ceramics or carbonlite tech from FCS stiff but light.
The hard part with any vendor is finding a profile you like
I usually still with the AMs as they are pretty dependable and the closest to GGs
The H2-H3 tech is enticing but cost prohibitive
I don't like flex in my fins unless the board and waves are small and you need the extra snap

Reactions: ReForest

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I have a quad fin longboard like Ben Aipa used to make.

9 x 24 x 4

I only use it in big surf in Hawaii that requires covering ground quick.

For some reason the fins on it seem off. The board is super sensitive to turns and seems to turn way too sharp on even the slightest amount of input.

Anyone have any suggestions on fins to use?

Right now it’s the Danny Hess quads from True Ames. Maybe they’re too big and stiff?
Pics of tail - fin area + placements will help greatly

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Doesn't that board have a lot of tail rocker? Heavy hooves and lots of tail rocker don't always mix. I think you are about the same size/weight as me (I'm 6'4" about 230). I had a similar sounding issue with a Pyzel Phantom. I would pop up, lean into a bottom turn and half the time I would be doing a 180 down the face. Not sure what the way to go with fins to compensate. Interested to hear GG's thoughts.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Personally I'd stick to riding that as a thruster or use really small rear fins (could be an illusion)
reminds me of what jeff alexander did with his gemini quads (closer together) end result was creating more of a thruster affect than what you'd get with a true quad layout. That's also allot of fin box weight in the tail and you're getting allot of bite with that much curve in the tail. Seems like the rail tail curve would be fighting against that back quad fin. Some guys use fusions for the rear quads when the tail is that narrow to lighten it up.
Interesting it's a Marko Blank which means an EPS core. What's the glassing schedule? You beef it up to get it back to poly weight cause light and big also has its own momentum problems.
Hope this one's a keeper..

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Personally I'd stick to riding that as a thruster or use really small rear fins (could be an illusion)
reminds me of what jeff alexander did with his gemini quads (closer together) end result was creating more of a thruster affect than what you'd get with a true quad layout. That's also allot of fin box weight in the tail and you're getting allot of bite with that much curve in the tail. Seems like the rail tail curve would be fighting against that back quad fin. Some guys use fusions for the rear quads when the tail is that narrow to lighten it up.
Interesting it's a Marko Blank which means an EPS core. What's the glassing schedule? You beef it up to get it back to poly weight cause light and big also has its own momentum problems.
Hope this one's a keeper..
definitely beefed up to keep momentum.

Now I just gotta figure out the fins.

I love the board but just felt off with current fin setup.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Doesn't that board have a lot of tail rocker? Heavy hooves and lots of tail rocker don't always mix. I think you are about the same size/weight as me (I'm 6'4" about 230). I had a similar sounding issue with a Pyzel Phantom. I would pop up, lean into a bottom turn and half the time I would be doing a 180 down the face. Not sure what the way to go with fins to compensate. Interested to hear GG's thoughts.
I had a board like that too. I'm the same size as you and OP. Never did figure out what the issue was. I just couldn't figure the board out. I hated it so much that I wanted to burn it. I almost felt bad selling such a dog on Craigslist. But, the new owner said he had the same model and loved it. So, I dunno.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Stinger holds nice in wave face and very easy to turn has generous rocker both ends. My It has a twin set up has nice glide in trim but with quad set up I would go Stretch fins unlimited #2 set works great in my buzz boards and my step up. B5fin got a it w/ quad set up about same time I got my it2win so pm him :cheers: