What's Your Number?

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Somehow I don't think I'll ever get to my number with a nine-to-five job... Gotta get off my ass and start thinking how to earn proper money outside that.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
For us: 3 Mil + house paid off, taxes 11K a year and do all my own work on house and cars. With social security we should be able to gross 170k a year or so with the principle going down very slowly. Cheap hobbies like fixing cars and landscaping, not to mention exterior painting :LOL: . Playing guitar, building stuff. We want to say go to Spain for a month where they have oceanfront condos for 1K - that kind of traveling. Of course we have to pay medicare supplemental insurance but we don't eat much so I think we'll be fine. And when you get older older your expenses really go down I think so I'll not be afraid to live it up a bit in the earlier years. Can't wait to start!

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
And when you get older older your expenses really go down I think so I'll not be afraid to live it up a bit in the earlier years. Can't wait to start!
This. The first 10 years of retirement I am planning on lots of travel, which is expensive with wifey (no roughing it allowed!)

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
This. The first 10 years of retirement I am planning on lots of travel, which is expensive with wifey (no roughing it allowed!)
Long term rentals near awesome places like mentioned above. Not much different than a month of rent, and often far cheaper. Plenty of comfort without the absurd hotel markup.

Reactions: PJ and Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Good friends with trust funds. I’ve invested heavily in a few of those, hoping it pays off when we’re all old lol
in fact I’m hoping @Random Guy leaves his house to me instead of his kids. That’s why I always grab the check when we double date with the wives :poke: :roflmao:
My experience with trust funders:

1) In high school, 10th grade, dated daughter of a marine shipping firm operating out of both Seattle and Portland. (For 16th birthday, she had a party on a converted tugboat. Was a grand catered affair, and there was dancing to the latest top 40 hits while hopped up on sugary beverages on bow of the main deck while a few chaperones cooled it in the con.) While she was not floating in money at age 16, she definitely would come into it later.

Then she got grounded for a month because a neighbor told her mom that she had a boy over while mom was out. Her mom called my mom and my mom asked me about it, and like a dodo, told the truth. My mom told me to call her mom and tell the truth, and so I did (while my mom listened on the other line).

While she was grounded, I met Anna at a high school football game. Someone told the shipping magnate's daughter and she called me up and told me to get bent.

I didn't even get to say, "We met at a football game with a bunch of friends, what do you thnk happened?"

When my dad found out that we broke up, he was, "That's a shame, you had a shot at easy street."

Sigh.

2) Am a year in SF and long term girlfriend decides the co-worker is the better bet, so she breaks up with me.

Meet a gal via work friend.

At some point she asks me what I think of her selling some avocado orchards around Escondido that she has. (notice the 's')

"How do you own orchards?

"Dad is a founder of a semi-conductor firm. He diversified when they went public. For tax reasons, he gifted them to me."

Time moves on and it didn't work out.

Am still friends with her and her husband, and will occasionally visit them when I ride the bike up to Twin Peaks and will occasionally have have coffee and breckie snacks with them while looking out to Mt. Tamalpais, GG Bridge, Angel Island, downtown, Bay Bridge.

Boy, I miss that view.

So my take is: they are an unreliable source of monetary fulfilment.

PS
When I was about 25, my bosss told me to start putting 3% into my 401(k), and every year increase it by 1 more percent until it got to 8% (I think that was the max that they would match, at the time). He said I would never miss the money and by the time I was 60 I'd be a millionaire.

Best advice ever.
1 What did I do in my previous life to have such crappy bosses?
2 Glad I figured this out on my own.

PPS
Might be cheaper to upgrade the wifey.
1 Anecdotal tales of woe give this thought a big "Nuh-uh."
2 Peace of mind can be priceless, so if money isn't the bigger slice of the pie......
3 Careful, your wifey might be thinking the same thing about you.:toilet:

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I need my house in Hawaii. A house in oregon. And maybe a pad in NYC to do quick hops over the pond.

Like I said- I’m luck got work in a job that doesn’t feel like work and has extensive travel to cool spots. Lot of people work past retirement here cause they enjoy it.

Life short so gotta enjoy

Reactions: Mr Doof

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I know this sounds really morbid, but does anyone's plan hinge on the previous generation's passing????

I never thought about it much but my 86 year old mother is undergoing a rapid descent into dementia and immobility. Two years ago she was fine but then had a fall and was knocked unconscious. My sisters decided she should not live by herself in a two story house. They moved her out and that's when her condition deteriorated. The isolation of quarantine probabaly didn't help. Then they moved her again to be closer to one of my sister's and she just never settled in. She thinks she' in a hotel. She's basically hallucinating all the time now. She started seeing her long deceased mother. She often thinks I'm there (when she tells my sisters I'm there, I'm always sleeping in the other room :shrug:). It's been really sad to see.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I'm back, after self-imposed hiatus to travel and have some fun away from my computer. Markets have been on fire this entire year. My best earnings ever. I'm over the moon being on the moon.

But it got me thinking about retirement and numbers. How much does one need to be happy and live comfortably? How much do I need? I want to travel and play golf when I'm old, and only surf warm water. I wouldn't mind having a fun car to drive too. I grew up poor and in my 20's I was in debt a ton from school and stupidity. Those days are no longer, but I still live very simple.

My original number was $2m cash by the time I'm 50-ish, but now I'm thinking $5m would be better. I've been looking at decent homes on the CC and you can't even get a beach house for less than $1.5m. Plus all the cost of owning a beach house would eat up all my fun money into retirement.

But how far does money go in other countries? I have no idea. I love the Mediterranean lifestyle. Greek Islands. Italy. South of France. I've been and it looks amazing, but no surf. Maybe I'll give it up? But I also love Central and South America, particularly Nica, Chile, and Ecuador.

Do you have a number you're shooting for?

(Sorry I've not replied to PMs . Will read through/reply this eve.)
6MM minimum to retire comfortably in the US.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
6MM minimum to retire comfortably in the US.
if you can't figure out a way to retire before making 6 mil you're fooked regardless, boomer mentality has to go. there's doge coin millionaires being minted every day :roflmao:

work hard until 65 and enjoy those "golden years" is so far from the truth it's comical. seen it with my G'pa, now 90 been living in poor health for most of his later life. never developed any skills or interests outside of his job. has plenty of money but cant make any use of it, a life wasted.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
For those who live anywhere houses are > $1M (Hawaii, coastal CA), a lot depends on how long ago you bought your house and how much you owe.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
3 Wifey has been think the same thing for years.:toilet:
Your wife wants to upgrade her wife? That's crazy.
Yeah, I typed that poorly.

Thought it would be evident I meant the wife might being thinking time to upgrade the husband.

Updated original post to better reflect intent, thanks for the catch.

I know this sounds really morbid, but does anyone's plan hinge on the previous generation's passing????
Had a friend who thought like this. I think it held him back . Then he died, while his dad still lives.

One of my mean older sisters thought this for a while. Passed along this idea to one of her kids. The nephew even said something to me about getting $$ and items from grandpa. Told him that I am executor of the will/estate and it all gets split between his daughters and sons, nothing about grandkids. And if you think you can con your grandfather out of anything, well, you'll have to through his 2nd wife first, then your mom, and whenever I see large figures moving in the bank account, I ask, so you'll need to go through me too. He was unpleased.

Oh, there was Aunt June who got along famously with my youngest older sister. Aunt June promised her $$ when she died. Fast forward some years, my sister gets a call from probate court asking if she wants to dispute Aunt June's revised will/estate because Aunt June's surviving son already was. Appears a real estate agent had somehow gotten the will changed and my sister got dropped. Aunt June's son is feisty cuss with professional legal credentials and sis (wisely) decided to not go near it.

I tell dear old dad to spend it all and be happy. (In a small way, I think this ticks him off.) Would guess that if he died tomorrow, I'd get a few thousand. Not life changing so would be best if he enjoyed the fruits of his labors. I wonder if he still has that gold eagle in the display case (got it when he retired).

Everyone should care about whatever property/cash/etc their folks have because it is a waste of their life to let it evaporate when they go. Plus, really helps to know this when closing out their electronic life.

She's basically hallucinating all the time now. She started seeing her long deceased mother. She often thinks I'm there (when she tells my sisters I'm there, I'm always sleeping in the other room :shrug:). It's been really sad to see.
At the end with dear old mom, at various times I was:

A. a brother
B. her father
C. a friend of the family
D. a brother in law or friend of one her her brothers
E. a doctor/lawyer/bank vp/priest/random authority figure
F. Max (her old boyfriend in Berlin)
G. a 'gentleman caller'.....most awkward of all

She remembered who the middle sister was the longest, then me. The others disappeared from her much sooner.

At some point, saw no reason to try to correct her and would just ask her things that I thought this character would ask. More than a few times was met with confusion when I got the character wrong. My go to excuse was, "Sorry I have other things weighing on my mind, could we start over?"

Took me two years to unravel and settle her will/estate/taxes. It felt like 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: santacruzin

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019

I never thought about it much but my 86 year old mother is undergoing a rapid descent into dementia and immobility. Two years ago she was fine but then had a fall and was knocked unconscious. My sisters decided she should not live by herself in a two story house. They moved her out and that's when her condition deteriorated. The isolation of quarantine probabaly didn't help. Then they moved her again to be closer to one of my sister's and she just never settled in. She thinks she' in a hotel. She's basically hallucinating all the time now. She started seeing her long deceased mother. She often thinks I'm there (when she tells my sisters I'm there, I'm always sleeping in the other room :shrug:). It's been really sad to see.
Sorry to hear it.

Not morbid, definitely a part of the planning process that should be considered, mortality tables for US put a males life expectancy at 75 years old and 80 years old for females.
-of course a lot goes into your personal mortality: lifestyle, race, family history of stuff.

But yeah something to factor in and again sorry about your mom.