Watch out! Cyclist coming through

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I thought I'd share some bike stoke with you guys. This summer I worked a bike tour that included watching the final day of the Tour de France and climbing Mont Ventoux. Then, on the way to return our van to Germany I got to spend 3 days in the Portes du Soleil region on the French/Swiss boarder riding DH bikes with a local crew including the trails' builders. When rain put an end to that I even enjoyed the rest of the drive.
20210718_185128(0).jpg

20210729_134320.jpg

8BFD6C12-C8BF-4FC5-B66C-E4F613F7F2D1.jpeg

0D26D2CE-8A64-4AA6-BCB3-E48392A16439.jpeg

20210801_123628.jpg

In a week my girlfriend & I start our 2 week road trip to Whistler so hopefully I've got a lot more bike fun in my near future.

Attachments

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Finally remembered to put camera in backpack on the Sunday ride to show off new bike:

1631651730568.png

Facts/thoughts of possible interest:
1 Steel frame, made in Taiwan using Masi/Haro connections by former frame designer who worked for Masi/Haro
2 "Monstercross' design, which means taller headtube, 700cx50 wheel size, and more relaxed riding position.
3 Titanium flat bars because I ride urban area, want heads-up riding position, quick hand-to-brake-to-stop action
4 Black Mt Cycles is small one man shop who didn't say no to mix of new and used mtb parts on "road" bike
5 177.5 cranks and 3x9 drive because I am old and like getting up all sorts of hills and hey, that stuff is cheap and available
6 no top tube pad because I sold it with the wannabe track bike...pad was nice when I had to carry up bike flights of stairs, sometimes you need to carry it up to your friend's 4 story walk-up, other times, come to dead ends and need to go up stairs like this:

1631653007807.png
7 bar ends because nice to stretch out and be bit more streamlined when going longer distances in the wind and may make bikes look older and tired and therefore less crime worthy. Plus I had them. And the old 26 inch wheel rack doesn't really fit, so will need new (used) one.
8 Think I need a 0 degree 110mm stem versus the 6 degree one I have on it now
9 Think I may take off the rapid-fire XTR shifters and put on thumbies because I still haven't gotten use to the rapid-fire style
10 Old style pedals and cage because I walk around after getting to point B. May make bike look too funky to steal as well.

Last edited:

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
You get a cool frameset and dork it out with old equipment? Step into the 21st century and get a 1x12 setup and good handlebars

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^Thought I explained why I did what I did, partly with hope of front-running this sort of talk.

I don't go super long, all day rides all that often, and when I do, yeah, wish I had a different bike, but I try to own things that works for me around 90% of the time and that means I work harder the other 10%. I mean stuff that works in 100% of all situations would be best, but that 100% thing is me, not my stuff. Stuff doesn't seem work 100% of the time in all situations. Maybe this view is just part of my personal philosophy and doesn't make sense to others but, to each their own I guess.

And I park my bike outside* so it can't be too flash, ride in lots of stop and go traffic so I need lots of vision, and I live in an expensive place so I will reuse good equipment. And with a 3x9 system, have a bit more low end range than I would with a 1x12....the weight penalty isn't the killer for me.

Fully think that when existing drivetrain parts wear out and I may not be able to find 3x9 parts (doubt it since I can still find 3x7 parts for the old style MTB), would move to other set ups. Or earlier if I get fed up trying to tune the front derailleur.

* - Riding to work I get to park inside (and then lock it up inside to the bicycle rack with the other bikes), but when I am picking up items to bring home for din-din, have to lock up the bike outside....this is the situation I lock up the bike outside the most, grocery shopping or burrito buying. Oh, and about the work place, somewhere in 2018, a thief followed an employee into the bike storage area and left with a pretty nice bike. Security key card for entry and video camera didn't prevent it and plainly showed the thief walk past a few locked/unlocked bikes before taking the cleanest, shiniest one that was not locked up.

Last edited:
Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Doof's post is epic peak San Francisco.

Frame is cool, but crime! Thieves abound - but they're not going to rip off your EWWW foot cage and bar end and 3x front chainring bike.

I can feel people who don't steal bicycles for having sh!t like that just gawking at me as I stand on some SF street corner in my Gators shirt.

"Y'all got y'all any shrimp-n-gritz breakfast places, or somewhere with some TVs what got the SEC network and 15 wing baskets with extra bleu cheese 'round yonder?"

***plastic frames, black/navy hoodie, skinny jeans, vans, looking on in horror, then just rampantly vomiting***

The old office I could bring the bike inside. Haven't worked in the new one during non-swelter time of year that much. This must be what it's like if your bike has to spend any real time locked outdoors, not just once every few months.

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off and Mr Doof

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Finally remembered to put camera in backpack on the Sunday ride:

View attachment 116288

Facts/thoughts of possible interest:
1 Steel frame, made in Taiwan using Masi/Haro connections by former frame designer who worked for Masi/Haro
2 "Monstercross' design, which means taller headtube, 700c50 wheel size, and more relaxed riding position.
3 Titanium flat bars because I ride urban area, want heads-up riding position, quick hand-to-brake-to-stop action
4 Black Mt Cycles is small one man shop who didn't say no to mix of new and used mtb parts on "road" bike
5 177.5 cranks and 3x9 drive because I am old and like getting up all sorts of hills and hey, that stuff is cheap and available
6 no top tube pad because I sold it with the wannabe track bike...pad was nice when I had to carry up bike flights of stairs, sometimes you need to carry it up to your friend's 4 story walk-up, other times, come to dead ends and need to go up stairs like this:

View attachment 116289
7 bar ends because nice to stretch out and be bit more streamlined when going longer distances in the wind and may make bikes look older and tired and therefore less crime worthy. Plus I had them. And the old 26 inch wheel rack doesn't really fit, so will need new (used) one.
8 Think I need a 0 degree 110mm stem versus the 6 degree one I have on it now
9 Think I may take off the rapid-fire XTR shifters and put on thumbies because I still haven't gotten use to the rapid-fire style
10 Old style pedals and cage because I walk around after getting to point B. May make bike look too funky to steal as well.

1 Mike Varley
or
2 Tim Jackson

I'm guessing Varley. Nice Bike Doof!

Reactions: Mr Doof