What is a kook?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I ask because the way the term is thrown around it seems to simply mean anyone that you dislike. If Kelly Slater burned you on a wave you could call him a kook and that would be perfectly acceptable. According to the Urban Dictionary, however, a kook is "most often used by aggro locals, to describe any surfers that: ... pretend like they can surf when, in reality, they suck-ass. don't follow the rules of the lineup. show up in the lot with a frappachino, excited about 2-footers."

I think the term should apply to:

1) Anyone on a softy.​
2) Any longboarder who goes straight and doesn't do any cool turns or hang-ten and stuff (I don't know longboarder lingo).​
3) Anyone on a kneeboard... is an enigma, because why?​
4) Anyone on a surf SUP without exception.​

• Dislike
Reactions: One-Off

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Swarmies (1).gif

I'd disagree with 1,2, 3 and 4. I can't remember ever seeing a kooky kneeboarder, and there are some SUP guys who shred. Look up "Jess Leedy SUP". Big beachbreak tubes. Going straight (not straight towards the beach) is fine if they're not out of control. The guy at the beginning of plasticbeartrand's Swarmi's video above who probably couldn't dodge someone on the shoulder if he had to is a kook.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: afoaf

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Anyone thats clueless to whats going on in their surroundings inside or outside of the water. I dont care what you ride. Plenty of kooks on shorties that should be lumped in your categories.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I ask because the way the term is thrown around it seems to simply mean anyone that you dislike. If Kelly Slater burned you on a wave you could call him a kook and that would be perfectly acceptable. According to the Urban Dictionary, however, a kook is "most often used by aggro locals, to describe any surfers that: ... pretend like they can surf when, in reality, they suck-ass. don't follow the rules of the lineup. show up in the lot with a frappachino, excited about 2-footers."

I think the term should apply to:

1) Anyone on a softy.​
2) Any longboarder who goes straight and doesn't do any cool turns or hang-ten and stuff (I don't know longboarder lingo).​
3) Anyone on a kneeboard... is an enigma, because why?​
4) Anyone on a surf SUP without exception.​
No:

1) Anyone on a softy. There could be a complete beginner on a softy being respectful. Great board to learn on.

2) Any longboarder who goes straight and doesn't do any cool turns or hang-ten and stuff (I don't know longboarder lingo). If taking turns and not being a dick, I don't see anything wrong with this.

3) Anyone on a kneeboard... is an enigma, because why? Wrong. never met a disrespectful kneeboarder.

4) Anyone on a surf SUP without exception. Mostly true. But every once in awhile... like eariler this week a buddy and I joined one on a peak cause it was only him and we didn;t feel like surfing in the pack. As soon as we got there he got one wave then paddled up into no mans land and caught crappier waves by himself. Good guy.

IMO a kook is the person, not what they ride or how good they are.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Me. I am a kook! :drowning:

your criteria is wrong btw Agree with life on Mars. The guy always in the way, people who litter, people who blow up spots, people who judge others based on what they ride :monkey:

Reactions: Witchipoo

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i don't surf with kneeboarders often but when i do they are almost never kooks. mostly weird loner types who shred and keep to themselves. my kind of people.

SUP riders must be at least 99% kooks. everyone has a story about that one guy who rips his SUP and doesn't use it as a wave hogging tool. just like bigfoot, i'll believe it when i see it.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
i don't surf with kneeboarders often but when i do they are almost never kooks. mostly weird loner types who shred and keep to themselves. my kind of people.
every kneeboarder I have seen has been gnarly and solo. Seen them show up to out of the fucking way spots and charge. Never had an issue with kneelios. last one I surfed with was getting pitted and was a HUGE tatted Aussie you did not want to fuck with .

I also hate SUPs but rarely ever see them at places I surf, nothing to get worked up over.

Reactions: Aruka

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
All my criteria was tongue in cheek, mostly, but especially #3 and that’s why I said kneeboarders are an enigma. Why kneel when you can stand?

Reactions: santacruzin