Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@jkb We went over this before but i cant find the thread. What dims you think? 5'1 x 18 x 2 1/4?
Probably somewhere around 24L im guessing.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
5'0 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4

-or-

5'1 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/8

Get tapered rails on either.
Does the parallel outline make the board feel longer? Like the Vader and Deathstar?
I'm thinking 5'0 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4 is the one...

Do you think 18 is too narrow?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The board feels pretty short as is.

In NCSD, no problem going with a shorter version. There's typically not a lot of water moving around.

I think going narrower could make it feel longer, so I'd stick to 18 1/4 on the 5'0.

These are proven magic dims @ReForest. Don't fvck with them :shameonyou:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The board feels pretty short as is.

In NCSD, no problem going with a shorter version. There's typically not a lot of water moving around.

I think going narrower could make it feel longer, so I'd stick to 18 1/4 on the 5'0.

These are proven magic dims @ReForest. Don't fvvk with them :shameonyou:
haha. You are the resident advisor on this issue. I emailed Shey, so we'll see where this goes.

What about construction? I'm cheap and was thinking Stringerless or wooden stringer? Or should i spring for the blue HD stringer? Or possibly stringerless with just a full carbon strip on the bottom (and nothing on top)? I've also had some thoughts about controlling the flex by going all stringerless then going thick on the glassing?

I'm not too crazy about the parallel carbon (i dont like the way it looks).

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
haha. You are the resident advisor on this issue. I emailed Shey, so we'll see where this goes.

What about construction? I'm cheap and was thinking Stringerless or wooden stringer? Or should i spring for the blue HD stringer? Or possibly stringerless with just a full carbon strip on the bottom (and nothing on top)? I've also had some thoughts about controlling the flex by going all stringerless then going thick on the glassing?

I'm not too crazy about the parallel carbon (i dont like the way it looks).
HD blue stringer or standard stringer.

8.C glassing. Don't stiffen it up with more glass. It doesn't need it.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
What do you think about stringerless? Too much flex?
Dicey. I don't have any experience with them so I'm not sure.

I think I would want some structural integrity to the board, personally.

If there would ever be a board I would consider going stringerless, it would probably be the GMM2.......although I would still end up getting a stringer. :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It looks like sh3 went the stingerless route on his. Maybe he can chime in with the feel and his glass schedule.

Edit: he said he would probably do some sort of stringer or carbon on the next one in his post.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I saw that sh3 went stringerless and he is heavier than me. I like the feeling of the board flexing and projecting out of turn so i think this might be the perfect board to test... but i've talked to a few shapers and glassers that say there is no structural integrity (same as what you're saying). But then again... i like to think outside the box and im interested in that tech. Just not sure if i wanna gamble $800+ dollars to find out. lol.

Reactions: RattimusBeach

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I saw that sh3 went stringerless and he is heavier than me. I like the feeling of the board flexing and projecting out of turn so i think this might be the perfect board to test... but i've talked to a few shapers and glassers that say there is no structural integrity (same as what you're saying). But then again... i like to think outside the box and im interested in that tech. Just not sure if i wanna gamble $800+ dollars to find out. lol.
Yeah, stringerless might be a good used board purchase first.

Reactions: ReForest

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
What do you think about stringerless? Too much flex?
So... it's your first one. I'd go stringerless at your size. Get it about 1/8" thicker than what you think but ask for the tapered rails. Talk to Shey FOR SURE. There's not too much flex, but then again I wouldn't take mine out in 6' solid beach break. I've used it in faces up to 8', but they were soft and sloppy (so super super fun on this board).

I mention the high density stringer and red kevlar for the next one as I'd want to use it in more solid surf. I don't know honestly if I could even use this board in Fiji, but I'd love to try it out. I just don't view it as a barrel rider. It's the absolute best board ever for everything else, though.

Get it stringerless for your first one and run with it Forest. (see what I did there?) You'll be stoked. You won't snap it and I think you'll be amazed at how much fun it is. :shaka:

-S

PS: When my next board from Dan arrives (probably in about 2 months from now), I'll take a Tomo quiver shot. I don't have a ton now, but I have a few that are fun and pretty. Hopefully the next one (ordered for fall use) fills a little gap between the RNV4 and my step-ups to semi-guns.

PPS: My GMM2 has really taken over for me as my groveler instead of the Cybersim & it's my everyday fun board. I love my bar-of-soap.