Why's Everything So Expensive?

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
the only people not going back to work because gov $ are the ones who made under 500 bucks a week anyways. The max $ youre gonna get in Calif right now is 750 a week and that ends in September. Only people making over 75,000 get that 450$ base to begin with so i imagine all these people not going back to work are only getting maybe 500 bucks a week from EDD if thyre lucky. If fast food pays less than that a week, then yea Id wait till September too.

But a bartender not going back to work because employment is so good rn isnt realistic to me. That person probably made more actually working.
woah bro, slow down with the actual numbers here. i feel like people are making a ton of money doing nothing and affording sh!t i'm envious of and that's good enough for me.

Graph.jpeg

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
woah bro, slow down with the actual numbers here. i feel like people are making a ton of money doing nothing and affording sh!t i'm envious of and that's good enough for me.

View attachment 111679
haha..i only bring it up because ive had plenty of out of touch friends tell me dont worry about work, the unemployment is so good rn, youll be ok.

And im like ummmm. yea if you worked at M c'dys than sure its good but, .I cant live of 750 a week and id imagine most middle aged people living in LA could not either.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I cant live of 750 a week and id imagine most middle aged people living in LA could not either.
You can't live on $750 a week?

I sure as hell could if I wasn't paying rent, and the state of CA was picking up the tab for all the rent I didn't pay:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If rent wasnt a thing it would still be very very tight.
Well, rent isn't a thing for a lot of these people because they've stopped paying and won't have to pay a penny because the state is going to pick up the tab from the past 1.5 years of backrent.

So that explains why a lot of people aren't working.

If I'm not mistaken you're a single guy with no kids.

What are you buying that costs $750/week?

Serious question.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm tired of my bullshit apartment...I keep thinking I should be trading up right now or when the rent thing blows up

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Well, rent isn't a thing for a lot of these people because they've stopped paying and won't have to pay a penny because the state is going to pick up the tab from the past 1.5 years of backrent.

Serious question.
read the fine print.. less people getting their rent forgiven they think. less thsn 75k a year and have to prove the hardship. not simply just i didn t feel like paying my rent so now im stoked.

I dont spend 750 a week but car payment, insurance, utilities, student loans, food, clothes and recreation will add up even as a single person w/ no kids.

I dont really drink - cook MOST of my food, and my only frivolous purchase is 40 bucks a week on weed and ever since the pandemic started a video game every once in a while and usually one new surfboard a year.

With rent my monthly expenses are around 4500-5000 a month all in or at least thats around what i budget.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
With rent my monthly expenses are around 4500-5000 a month all in or at least thats around what i budget.
ding, ding, ding!

At 60k/annum.

Wise investment analysis would tell you, "your rent IS your problem".

Every 10 years throwing $600,000 at buying your landlords their properties may just be the single most important reason you are not getting out of "the monthly nut" rut anytime soon.

You sir, should apply for a mortgage and maybe start pissing in your own fan?

(Analogy an old boss at the bank had for renting, "it's like pissing into a fan that's pointing at your face")

Edit: sorry, just caught the "with rent included" part of your monthly payments.

Still 25k per year into someone else's pocket. Better to vanlife under a bridge down by the river like Chris Farley for a while until saved a down payment. :shrug:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
ding, ding, ding!

At 60k/annum.

Every 10 years throwing $600,000 at buying your landlords their properties may just be the single most important reason you are not getting out of "the monthly nut" rut anytime soon.

(Analogy an old boss at the bank had for renting, "it's like pissing into a fan that's pointing at your face")

Edit: sorry, just caught the "with rent included" part of your monthly payments.

Still 25k per year into someone else's pocket. Better to vanlife under a bridge down by the river like Chris Farley for a while until saved a down payment. :shrug:
When an entry level property is $800k and you need minimum 10% down, it's kind of hard not to rent. Then your mortgage is even worse than $2600 rent.

And before you go on a tirade about how I'm doing it wrong, I'm an owner and my monthly nut is less than the average rent nowadays, but for those just getting their groove financially and/or who took a hit from Covid it's pretty tough.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
When an entry level property is $800k and you need minimum 10% down, it's kind of hard not to rent. Then your mortgage is even worse than $2600 rent.

And before you go on a tirade about how I'm doing it wrong, I'm an owner and my monthly nut is less than the average rent nowadays, but for those just getting their groove financially and/or who took a hit from Covid it's pretty tough.
Entry level here is $1.2 :bricks:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
ding, ding, ding!

At 60k/annum.

Just for the record - I am not complaining about money.

Just putting into perspective that 3k a month doesn't go that far even for a single dude with no kids unless you live like a hermit, have no friends, and hate fun.

I'm able to save several thousands of dollars a month and have 20% saved up for a reasonably priced home when Im ready to pull the trigger. I haven't bought yet because Im single with no kids - what am I going to do with all that room? Am I ready to comprimise on location? I def dont want a roommate and I dont want to move to the valley.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Just for the record - I am not complaining about money.

Just putting into perspective that 3k a month doesn't go that far even for a single dude with no kids unless you live like a hermit, have no friends, and hate fun.

I'm able to save several thousands of dollars a month and have 20% saved up for a reasonably priced home when Im ready to pull the trigger. I haven't bought yet because Im single with no kids - what am I going to do with all that room? I def dont want a roommate.
Sounds like we'll own nothing, and we WON'T be happy. :(

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
You are happy. What about the people for whom government subsistence isn't enough? What about families who want to buy a home like their parents did?
Yea sorry you said "WE".. I feel for those people. I know some of those people.

Thats why I think Calif is doing everyone a solid by doing this rent forgiveness and its a great first step. It'll further stimulate the economy, keep people housed, less first time homelessness, and keep landlords in buisness. More states should follow.

Its hard these days. I dont have one friend who didnt get help from their parents to buy their first home. Even with double income, I have a few friends w/ families that are still renting.

Havoc

May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

Serious question.
hookers and blow. come on casa, ur slacking duuu!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: sdsrfr and PRCD

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Rent forgiveness is a slap in the face to every homeowner and tenant that kept meeting their obligations. The forbearance deal our bank offered was a joke. We nutted it up and kept paying our mortgage even though our income was cut 60% by Covid. The Governor is just buying votes. He should be using the surplus $$$ on water / wastewater and RNG infrastructure. Something that'll last and will benefit everyone. What a mess.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Rent forgiveness is a slap in the face to every homeowner and tenant that kept meeting their obligations. The forbearance deal our bank offered was a joke. We nutted it up and kept paying our mortgage even though our income was cut 60% by Covid. The Governor is just buying votes. He should be using the surplus $$$ on water / wastewater and RNG infrastructure. Something that'll last and will benefit everyone. What a mess.
you could look at it at way and be bitter - I was for a second admittedly.

I see it as him trying to get in front of the already gigantic homeless problem by not makeing it even worse evicting millions of people. Leaving landlords high and dry etc further fucking up the economy.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Cut'n'snip.... What about buying, not necessarily in the area you end up, and renting out to cover your mortgage? Then, at least you wash on the rent you pay to live where you actually can't afford to buy, but want to be geographically, and build equity even if not owner occupying the property?

:shrug:

Not ranting, just wondering, if you have the down... Why not pull the trigger and get into the RE market at the lower end. You can always flip later for better location once your renters build some equity for you.