Tuberiding twin fins.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I like riding my banjo on smaller toobing days at the beaches around SD and bigger days at select reefs that offer a barrel section. I find the extra speed really nice but sometimes struggle to burn it off when it's not a racy section. I'm really keen to try a more performance oriented twin for proper barrels but I can't jump on the YOLO train at the moment.

Reactions: JDJ and oeste858

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The only down side is when your deep and on the foam ball. The center fin kind of anchors you in the chaos and helps you hold your line. Twins and quads don't hold their line as well in the turbulence and tend to washout once you get lifted on the ball.
Totally disagree with this and again speed is the only anchor you need the rest is waiting to come out of the shade. Most who ride twins and quads out run wave and have problems staying in pocket but never heard/have had any need for a anchor specially inside the tube :shaka: The speed is reason my current quiver is thruster free and mostly quads, twins, and a MC 5 fin bonzer:waving:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I prefer twins/twinzers over thrusters in barreling waves. To me - twins/twinzers work better in steeper - punchy waves versus slopey - mushy waves. One of the biggest differences i see between the two - controlling your speed versus trying to generate speed ... I prefer stalling to stay in the tube versus having to pump continuously to have enough speed to make it out.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I prefer twins/twinzers over thrusters in barreling waves. To me - twins/twinzers work better in steeper - punchy waves versus slopey - mushy waves. One of the biggest differences i see between the two - controlling your speed versus trying to generate speed ... I prefer stalling to stay in the tube versus having to pump continuously to have enough speed to make it out.
Yep this is what I am talking about and when you get to bigger surf you need less fin to hold in face and speed for the win:cheers:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Watching that tuberide made my knees hurt. I hope i get half that slotted when my knees give out. He looks too young for shot knees:shrug: though? Odd.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The only down side is when your deep and on the foam ball. The center fin kind of anchors you in the chaos and helps you hold your line. Twins and quads don't hold their line as well in the turbulence and tend to washout once you get lifted on the ball.
I had not thought of that, yeah makes total sense.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
What was the glassing schedule you got on that one?
PU epoxy 6/4 6 S glass:shaka:
Tested glass job last week when I thought I was Torren and going backside in tube was too deep behind bowl so I bodysurfed instead. Big smile on face until my AO caught up to me ghost riding and the outside rail smashed in the face:drowning: When all was said and done I was left with a good size pressure ding only on rail "still water tight" and a nice bump above my left eye:shark:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I've definitely made it out of more on twins. Probably due to the extra speed.

That twin pin 6'3" townsend I have always seems to find itself in the right place at the right time. It draws out a slower bottom turn than my other shorter/wider tail twins and always seems to slot in at the right timing.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Totally disagree with this and again speed is the only anchor you need the rest is waiting to come out of the shade. Most who ride twins and quads out run wave and have problems staying in pocket but never heard/have had any need for a anchor specially inside the tube :shaka: The speed is reason my current quiver is thruster free and mostly quads, twins, and a MC 5 fin bonzer:waving:
Maybe anchoring is not the right word....
I'm a cripple and have been riding quads for around 35 years and twins for 5 or 6 years before switching. I love tube riding and have a lot of experience at it. In my opinion, if your just hauling ass to get out of the shade, then you're not really tube riding. In my opinion, the goal in tube riding, for the most part (gnarly death slabs are the exception), is to stay as deep as possible, just in front of the foam ball, for as long as possible.
Quads and twins can hang a very high line and are very responsive to staling and speeding up when appropriate. This makes them very good for riding the tube. Their one weakness is when the foam ball catches up with you and starts to lift the tail of your board. This is where you lose your line and things go sideways real fast. Three fin set ups handle this better because that third fin is stabilizing your tail in the turbulence. YMMV.