Graham Smith candid WSL comments and will they be around next year??

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I just checked the WSL standings. I like Medina's tube riding in the lefts, but I don't like watching the tuberide contests. Italo, Jordy, Callinan, and Colapinto are the only surfers I'd care to watch.

I'm definitely not the target demographic. I bet the WSL folds.

Edit: I thought there was a surfer's union and Ace Buchan was the representative?
i'm not the target demo either (although maybe i should be, no? lifelong surfer, middle class, with more disposable income than i ever had as a younger man). but i concur about tube-riding contests - mad respect to the competitors, but the rides are largely repetitive and boring. the more watchable contests involve either longer rides on large walls and/or macking conditions with thrills and spills....

but surfing's hardcore audience actually consists of people who would rather surf than watch surfing - unlike most other sports/leagues etc. that can't be good for the spectator value of surfing and so be it. if the WSL folded - so what? surfing owes no one a living.

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'm not talking about massive investment, I'm talking about money going elsewhere than surfing.

They're a floundering organization in a load of debt wasting time/money producing social justice videos, environmental activism du jour campaigns, etc. No one cares about this crap. No one gives a crap if Steve Aoki surfs Kelly's pool. Etc.

They can end every WSL podcast episode by acknowledging "they're treading on the ancestral lands of the Chumash" but they can't spell their own athlete's name correctly on their jersey.
Yeah. They never made money, yet they are still here and we're still asking for more. So what's the problem?
Still don't know what this has to do with JMD's job.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah. They never made money, yet they are still here and we're still asking for more. So what's the problem?
Some of the problems are as laid as above by someone very familiar with it.

Those who watch can easily ID some of the issues as well.

Surf fans are still watching because it's the only format in existence. Not because they think the product is a job well done.

There are a few simple ways the product could improve.

Still don't know what this has to do with JMD's job.
I don't know, GS didn't go into more detail, but she was singled out as part of the problem.

Predictably the WSL's cornerstone of the wall of positive noise loves her:

'I'm very excited to have Jessi lead Tours and Competition,' seven-time WSL Champion Stephanie Gilmore says. 'She has a holistic view of the tour since she was a CT athlete and a Surfer's Representative, and has worked at WSL in different capacities. It's also very important for future generations to have women in leadership positions, so Jessi's appointment is transformative and inspiring."

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It seems you guys are looking at WSL as a content provider not giving you (the consumer) what you want, or as a business that is being poorly run. However, from what I understand, it actually appears to be more of a billionaire's vanity project.
Did that change? If not, then anyone else is unlikely to get what they want out of it.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
It seems you guys are looking at WSL as a content provider not giving you (the consumer) what you want, or as a business that is being poorly run. However, from what I understand, it actually appears to be more of a billionaire's vanity project.
Did that change? If not, then anyone else is unlikely to get what they want out of it.
I thought it was a distraction so he could pursue offshore drilling projects and the like in Oz?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I think the WSL is great! It's great entertainment and they do well at getting the worlds best surfers in the worlds best waves (exept during this raging plague). Making money off that concept is probably difficult, but atleast they're trying.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I think the WSL should lean into womens' pro surfing. More and more girls and women are picking up surfing, and they like to spend $$$. Expect a big shift in the next ten years. At the end it might be the guys getting put into the shitty waves as the sponsors make more money off sales to women. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: racer1

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I don't know, GS didn't go into more detail, but she was singled out as part of the problem.

Predictably the WSL's cornerstone of the wall of positive noise loves her:

'I'm very excited to have Jessi lead Tours and Competition,' seven-time WSL Champion Stephanie Gilmore says. 'She has a holistic view of the tour since she was a CT athlete and a Surfer's Representative, and has worked at WSL in different capacities. It's also very important for future generations to have women in leadership positions, so Jessi's appointment is transformative and inspiring."

But the wall of grumpy dads of underachieving non world champs is more meaningful than the 7 time champ?

Because......

Reactions: sizzld1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think the WSL should lean into womens' pro surfing. More and more girls and women are picking up surfing, and they like to spend $$$. Expect a big shift in the next ten years. At the end it might be the guys getting put into the shitty waves as the sponsors make more money off sales to women. :ROFLMAO:
Young women on resin tinted logs buying $200+ bikinis is where the money is.