Prone paddleboarding

Apr 11, 2021
Thinking of getting into some paddling for surf fitness. Everyone seems stoked on it that gets into it. You guys noticing a lot of benefits in your surfing from this? Thanks!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thinking of getting into some paddling for surf fitness. Everyone seems stoked on it that gets into it. You guys noticing a lot of benefits in your surfing from this? Thanks!
Great for your titz and helps your tatz so......
Show

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
i love it. we get a lot of flat days in the summer around here, so it's a nice way to get out onto the water when i normally wouldn't. i have a 12' Bark & gets into swells pretty easily & there's lots of fun to be had out to sea a bit on side shore days catching the bumps. there are a few shoals at the mouth of inlets near me that can get pretty fun but break a bit too far out to be worth paddling to even on a proper log but the paddleboard makes accessing those doable. & of course just cruising along in the flat water is pretty zen.

Reactions: Ttboi and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
i love it. we get a lot of flat days in the summer around here, so it's a nice way to get out onto the water when i normally wouldn't. i have a 12' Bark & gets into swells pretty easily & there's lots of fun to be had out to sea a bit on side shore days catching the bumps. there are a few shoals at the mouth of inlets near me that can get pretty fun but break a bit too far out to be worth paddling to even on a proper log but the paddleboard makes accessing those doable. & of course just cruising along in the flat water is pretty zen.
Love doing the downwind on the afternoon southwest.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
What type of board were you riding? Sounds like a 12' glider would be a reasonable substitute to a proper prone paddleboard

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

9' x 22" x 3" retro gun style longboard with loads of paddleac foam under chest, but a thinned out tail, single fin, with sharper rails towards the end.

my "broke back" special.... thar she blows...

Link to my shapers Insta

Reactions: Ttboi

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
wow! that's an amazing deal for a classic board that isn't made anymore! Eaton paddleboards are a rare bird, but i imagine now that he's passed, they're going to be even harder to find. i would 100% buy this board if i lived anywhere close to it.

i've paddled a similar Eaton 14' & it's a great flat water board...it's narrower than the standard Bark 14', so less drag. it felt easier to get up to speed & maintain it & maybe had a touch more glide. not as good in bumps as my 12' Bark, though. did a downwinder w/ the friend who owns it & he wasn't catching or staying on bumps as easily as i was on my 12'. we switched boards for a bit during & i found pretty quickly the hull/nose design would get hung up & dig. the Bark nose/hull would just kind of torpedo through & not catch.

Reactions: Oldsalt62 and Ttboi

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've been tempted to get a prone board. There is a public kayak launch about 300 yards from my house. I do quite a bit of kayaking and kayak fishing out of there during the flat spells. Would be fun to prone paddle so long as I don't get run over.

Reactions: Ttboi