Manliest Tattoo Thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I was thinking to enclose and frame my current back pieces in some kind of kelp. Wife doesn’t think highly of the idea. I know it continues the cliche but hey, at least I walk the walk, as far as surf and travel etc.

any other ideas? There are ample legit enthusiasts around here, and the gay code and mockery will flow like the Styx. And that’s always fun too :jamon: :roflmao:

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
post up your pix, boyz+girlz!
i spent alotta time up in Hollywood @ Tattoo Mania,
right down from Thee Whiskey-a-Go~Go, gettin' my back covered at aged 37 in May of '99
up unto the countdown to Y2K, with Freddie Negrete, a cholo from East L.A., doin' most of the inkin'...

Skelly~z, surfboardz,
a wave i rode in summer '83 @ The Venice Jetty, {minus me, of course, hahaha}, seen below:
Jetty tattoo.jpg
King Neptune rulin', a mermaid God~ess beneath him, even a Great White Shark, breachin' out,
is allll upon my back, i ain't been tatted' since his son Isaiah, now gone,
drew some outlines a few minutes b4 the clocks changed to 2000,
+ thee world was supposed to end,
yet it did not,
hahaha...

Here is Freddie tatin' my Mom,
as seen from a photograph from when she was 16,
RW~01.JPG
this bein' done some 5 yearz after her sudden death by aneurysm in '94,
at age 51...
:jamon:

Last edited:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I was thinking to enclose and frame my current back pieces in some kind of kelp. Wife doesn’t think highly of the idea. I know it continues the cliche but hey, at least I walk the walk, as far as surf and travel etc.

any other ideas? There are ample legit enthusiasts around here, and the gay code and mockery will flow like the Styx. And that’s always fun too :jamon: :roflmao:
Careful bud or ur going to give Hadels a run for his money. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: donuts and Subway

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

i dont think kelp would translate to a tattoo well. It'd be hard to read. you never want a tattoo that doesnt read from across a small room imo.

edit: for example just saw your picture. Compass reads well. From a few feet away no one would know thats a wave anymore. I know its 20 years old so... but instead of a frame - id just get that wave retouched and then think of a new piece all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
20210315_001648.jpg

Andy Irons tattoo. Didn't think about it at the time and probably have to keep a shirt on at a lot of good south east Asian surf islands. Unfinished, clearly, meant to blend into something behind and around it. Not well taken care of, the purple is fading.

Reactions: ~rwright~

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Careful bud or ur going to give Hadels a run for his money. ;)
i dont think kelp would translate to a tattoo well. It'd be hard to read. you never want a tattoo that doesnt read from across a small room imo.

edit: for example just saw your picture. Compass reads well. From a few feet away no one would know thats a wave anymore. I know its 20 years old so... but instead of a frame - id just get that wave retouched and then think of a new piece all together.
this is pretty good advice i think, how well something reads, and from how far.

of course if it’s just gotta be clear for random guy to decipher when he’s rubbing some sunscreen on, it probably doesn’t make much difference.

personally, i’d opt for clarity over complexity.
although some guys are really skillful with the fine detailing.

do you know who ernie bushmiller is?:)

• Haha
Reactions: CutnSnip and Subway

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
so i posted this pic here, years ago. i was parking along pch in san clemente one day, and happened to look in a store and saw this chick. i went in and started talking to her, asked her if i could take a pic of her spiders.

turned out she was from philly, and knew my friend’s band and was familiar with his record store. she had a bunch of other work on her front/top too, but i really dug the arachnid action.

in the small world of the bb, kf put up some pics he took of her on the beach, if he remembers...

she surfed too.

not sure how well this pic will read, but underneath the bugs it says “lost” & “used”

9CD62610-0A6B-4714-BE9A-30AA8E26F30C.jpeg

ps - be sure to click on bonzer’s link!

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
so i posted this pic here, years ago. i was parking along pch in san clemente one day, and happened to look in a store and saw this chick. i went in and started talking to her, asked her if i could take a pic of her spiders.

turned out she was from philly, and knew my friend’s band and was familiar with his record store. she had a bunch of other work on her front/top too, but i really dug the arachnid action.

in the small world of the bb, kf put up some pics he took of her on the beach, if he remembers...

she surfed too.

not sure how well this pic will read, but underneath the bugs it says “lost” & “used”

View attachment 106543

ps - be sure to click on bonzer’s link!

:monkey:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
for subway, just in case...

when i was going to SVA, i said to one of my best friends, “hey, we’re artists, we ougtta be able to come up with some cool tattoos”. so this became a somewhat regular topic for a few months...

so after weeks of heavy thought, i decided i was gonna get NANCY done on my right arm.
i even collaged up exactly what the art should be. i had her holding a gun that i resized that came from chester gould (dick tracy). in the alternate version she was just holding an umbrella.

the idea was, instead of the usual slutty bikini babe/hula chick/generic whore/prostitute you got NANCY - real sex!
pretty conceptual huh? :socrazy:

my girlfriend told me i was an idiot, so it never got done. just as well, ‘cause later on i found out about an artist that used nancy in almost all of his work - but for a while i thought i was ahead of the curve...

afterthought.... my SVA friend went on to be a pretty well known cartoonist - he never got any work done either.