Is TESLA the new surfmobile? ERmag looks to find out...

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Kevin lived in California and was a lifelong environmentalist. He was sick of the world; of Covid-19, Brexit, Russian belligerence, global warming, racial tensions, and the rest of the disturbing stories that occupy media headlines.

Kevin drove his car into his garage and then sealed every doorway and window as best he could. He got back into his car and wound down all the windows, selected his favorite radio station, started the car and revved it to a slow idle.

Four days later, a worried neighbor peered through his garage window and saw him in the car. She notified the emergency services and they broke in, pulling Kevin from the car.

A little sip of water and, surprisingly, he was in perfect condition, but his Tesla had a dead battery.

This is to be expected from a California (enter your opposing political party or sexual proclivities here).

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Trucks, especially lifted trucks, whose owners fucking insist on driving everywhere with their brights on. Busy suburban sprawl 20 miles from the nearest road without street lights galore. Brights. Well-traveled interstate, half a dozen cars within 80 yards of front bumper. Brights.
They don't have their brights on, they just didn't aim the lights again correctly after lifting the truck.

My problem with Teslas - or any electric car - is that they cost more to charge at home at SoCal electricity prices than that Prius does to run on gas. When we build and subsidize enough infrastructure to make the tradeoff pencil out, then I'll consider one. As long as it has a manual key for surfing.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They don't have their brights on, they just didn't aim the lights again correctly after lifting the truck.
The normal lifted trucks are a minor inconvenience when they're just behind and alongside during overtaking. I'm talking about flood-lighting the car cabin, sides of the road lit up.....

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
was digging thru some old video and forgot about this.....we were on the beach in SE NC a couple years ago and there was a Tesla on the beach, driven by a couple of Tesla engineers. they let us poke around in it a little and we were wondering how they even got as far as they did and whether they would make it off. this is a beach with very deep sand and is notorious for people getting stuck (even in 4X4's). they were a little nervous as well (i believe they were mostly concerned about the embarrassment that might ensue if they got stuck)....but they just zipped right off, with no problems whatsoever. if the Tesla car can do that, imagine the truck will do it better.

Reactions: PJ

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The writers at Surfer just weren't any good. The Beach Grit writers are much better. They're not writing the next great novel, but their nihilistic chitpoasting / trolling is catchy and entertaining. They get that they're their job is to entertain and they do it with wit. They joke about their subject, themselves, and their readers all at the same time. You can't teach writing like this (at least, none of the teachers on this board could).

The articles I've read in Surfer OTOH seem to fall into several categories: an ad that's not supposed to read like an ad (we're all immune to this), a BORING buddhist journey of self-discovery travelogue (I don't need to read Siddhartha over and over again in different forms), or preachy political moralism (the market is already flooded).
Gone are the days of Drew Kampion and Kevin Naughton...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
was digging thru some old video and forgot about this.....we were on the beach in SE NC a couple years ago and there was a Tesla on the beach, driven by a couple of Tesla engineers. they let us poke around in it a little and we were wondering how they even got as far as they did and whether they would make it off. this is a beach with very deep sand and is notorious for people getting stuck (even in 4X4's). they were a little nervous as well (i believe they were mostly concerned about the embarrassment that might ensue if they got stuck)....but they just zipped right off, with no problems whatsoever. if the Tesla car can do that, imagine the truck will do it better.

With no engine to get fouled with sand, are electric vehicles the perfect vehicles for the dunes? Although with no loud engine, people couldn't hear you coming so that would not be good.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
With no engine to get fouled with sand, are electric vehicles the perfect vehicles for the dunes? Although with no loud engine, people couldn't hear you coming so that would not be good.
They're good for running over sleeping seagulls and that's about it. Who started this brand, some Tesla defector trying to get back at Musk for making a pass at his g/f? This is offensive.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
They're good for running over sleeping seagulls and that's about it. Who started this brand, some Tesla defector trying to get back at Musk for making a pass at his g/f? This is offensive.
Fascinating history actually involving all kinds of struggles.

Fisker Automotive founded in 2008. First model delivered in 2011, the Fisker Karma (pic below). Only about 2000 made due to bankruptcy of key supplier for batteries.

2008, Tesla filed lawsuit against Fisker and lost.

2009, Fisker received a US$528.7 million conditional loan in September 2009 from the Department of Energy's US$25 billion Advanced Technologies Vehicle Manufacturing Loan Program (ATVM).

2012, Hurricane Sandy flooded and destroyed its entire European shipment of 338 Karmas at Port Newark, New Jersey

2014, Karma vehicle design, tooling and a manufacturing facility in Delaware were purchased by Chinese auto parts conglomerate. Founder kept trademark and logo brand for 'Fisker', and launched new company called Fisker Inc.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Nice looking cars. Shouldn't have sold out to the ChiComs. Looks like they'll be building a hideous "beach brand" from here on out like it's the '80s.

Fisker: morelike Felcher.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Nice looking cars. Shouldn't have sold out to the ChiComs. Looks like they'll be building a hideous "beach brand" from here on out like it's the '80s.

Fisker: morelike Felcher.
I think you misunderstood the timeline of events. They only sold the KARMA to the chinese. The new OCEAN is being produced by Fisker Inc. which is based in Manhattan Beach, CA.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think you misunderstood the timeline of events. They only sold the KARMA to the chinese. The new OCEAN is being produced by Fisker Inc. which is based in Manhattan Beach, CA.
Got it. I would like to drive the Ocean into the ocean.

• Haha
Reactions: r32