Nineteen Eighty Four

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Was hanging out with my teenage son last night watching a bunch of surfing on YouTube. Asked him to look up the OP Pro and he found the telecast of the 1984 OP Pro. I've got to say, the surfing was so bad that it was kind of embarrassing to watch with my kid. LOL!!!!

We watched 1985 as well and there had been a huge improvement in the equipment and surfing in just one year.

Enjoy.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Was it 83' the big old Tom Curren Joey Buran final? One of the only surf vids kids in my neighborhood had. Was a big deal for us anyway.
Back then you had to be in touch and pretty much in person with people to expand your surf exposure, and a good library or 3 helped but it still took a lot of time and effort to be into anything. Now any knowledge except real experience is seconds away at your fingertips.
I must have watched that one video tape 100 times before it regraded.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Was hanging out with my teenage son last night watching a bunch of surfing on YouTube. Asked him to look up the OP Pro and he found the telecast of the 1984 OP Pro. I've got to say, the surfing was so bad that it was kind of embarrassing to watch with my kid. LOL!!!!

We watched 1985 as well and there had been a huge improvement in the equipment and surfing in just one year.

Enjoy.

In 1984 during a full Moon weekend, in a 4-6 foot pumping south swell, I ran a ProAm at K38, Baja Mexico. A 2-day event with over 140 competitors surfing in 5 divisions. Men, Juniors, Boys, Women, and Longboarders. The Pro winner was Ted Robinson.

Attachments

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
The 5th place finisher in the Boys Division in your local contest scene would probably have won that contest if he could be transported back in time.
I’m kind of thinking he’s not taking down Tom Curren.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
That's true but I see a lot of sacrificing a whole wave to get one launch, maybe two. I like it it's radical and some times it's the most you could make from a crappy wave but there's a lot of waste, and another thing I noticed watching the blacks footage from these last couple swells, normally you see a better day at Blacks and the surfing can be phenomenal, pro level by average standards but these last couple, very few of the rides looked like pros to me, looked like average good surfers just hanging on or trying to salvage a bad day. I know I would be ecstatic to have those sessions myself and all mid-atlantic guy judges world class Blacks session but, we're just talking about the current state of surfing, it can be deceiving especially contest criteria rarely has painted the fullest picture of what's going down in the water. One opinion.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I surfed in the '82. Went out on an interference. Guy looked at me and went "are you going left?" "No, I'll go right. Split it." He went right just to fvck me. That wave is terrible by the way. That stuff is mushy as hell with a backwash bump in it. IMO, you could put your better than average boys surfer out there on a period board and he wouldn't be able to turn.

1611427990482.jpeg

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I surfed in the '82. Went out on an interference. Guy looked at me and went "are you going left?" "No, I'll go right. Split it." He went right just to fvvk me. That wave is terrible by the way. That stuff is mushy as hell with a backwash bump in it. IMO, you could put your better than average boys surfer out there on a period board and he wouldn't be able to turn.

View attachment 104170
The boy of now would just need to bring his thruster in his time machine.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
I went to all the OP Pros - would ride my bike down in the dark

Remember seeing Rabbit walking down Main street and I thought he looked homeless - saw Curren and was tripping how small he was - those dudes seemed larger in life in the mags

Also, saw Martin Potter surf a heat alone - other person was a no show - he was on that green board - remember I had never seen anyone surf like him - he was so fast and radical for the time - it was a free surf for him so he was ripping