How much more will your Big Mac cost if we raise the minimum wage?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yes, McDonald's is like a shittier version of being a black sharecropper in Mississippi circa 1880s.

I don't care if everything gets more expensive. If the minimum wage worker is less relatively destitute, the policy was better than nothing.
If everything gets more expensive that higher MW isn’t worth as much if anything.

You’re just resetting the floor but the floor is still the floor.

Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If everything gets more expensive that higher MW isn’t worth as much if anything.

You’re just resetting the floor but the floor is still the floor.
Yes but the floor will be higher relative to everyone else and where it is now. Minimum wage hasn't kept pace with inflation, even though it was intended to, because Republicans exist.

We can undo the damage Reagan and people that think like him did.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Such a simple concept.
I can understand (although I disagree with) the ideological arguments but in terms of the inflationary one, I disagree, because it seems pretty demonstrable the ground floor will be better able to compete with the higher floors.

What I struggle with are minimum wage jobs aren't supposed to be livable.

Who pulled this out of their ass? And why? Because high school kids worked at McDonalds.....in the 70s, AND today in Jax Beach??????

Pretty sure you can read some Steinbeck and read about adults doing a whole hell of a lot worse off. Someone should tell Tom Joad.

Imagine some noble in 1300s era Europe where like 95% of the people were serfs.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yes but the floor will be higher relative to everyone else and where it is now. Minimum wage hasn't kept pace with inflation, even though it was intended to, because Republicans exist.

We can undo the damage Reagan and people that think like him did.
The COST OF LIVING FLOOR WOULD BE HOGHER. Dummy.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I can understand (although I disagree with) the ideological arguments but in terms of the inflationary one, I disagree, because it seems pretty demonstrable the ground floor will be better able to compete with the higher floors.

What I struggle with are minimum wage jobs aren't supposed to be livable.

Who pulled this out of their ass? And why? Because high school kids worked at McDonalds.....in the 70s, AND today in Jax Beach??????

Pretty sure you can read some Steinbeck and read about adults doing a whole hell of a lot worse off. Someone should tell Tom Joad.

Imagine some noble in 1300s era Europe where like 95% of the people were serfs.
1. My argument is not ideological it’s economic.

2. It’s not an argument. I’m just statimg fact.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Uhhhhh... I already did.

Hence the post?
Livable with multiple tenants per bedroom.
I don't think reality is any fun for the median American. At all. Being "house poor" seems to be going nationwide.

What if people would just work for free?

Think how good that would be for business.
You still have to feed, house, and clothe them. Slaves are a raw deal for the plantation owner when you look into it.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The poor aren't poor because the number is $10 or $12 or $15. The poor are poor because their labor is valued at only a fraction of the median. If that median is 3x higher then the only way to make the poor less poor is to reduce that median, and the only way that happens is if the increase ONLY goes to the poor and everyone else loses that portion of their leverage.

Which isn't what happens IRL.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The poor aren't poor because the number is $10 or $12 or $15. The poor are poor because their labor is valued at only a fraction of the median. If that median is 3x higher then the only way to make the poor less poor is to reduce that median, and the only way that happens is if the increase ONLY goes to the poor and everyone else loses that portion of their leverage.

Which isn't what happens IRL.
If that wasn't what happens IRL the franchisee would have nothing to complain about because they have just as much leverage.

This post is an assertion of conservative dogma akin to Bohter's flat Earth stuff.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Your source doesn't say what McDonalds' profit margin is so I am confused why you say it doesn't match.

It also looks like business took a downward turn since 2014 if their gross revenue numbers are correct, because it's been more around 20B the last few years, vs the 27.4B back in 2014.

Thanks Obama!
The source I posted showed that franchise fees are 4% of gross sales and that rent averaged around 10.7% of gross sales, which puts that around 15% total. Even if rent was 25% of gross sales, that would not be far off from what a typical restaurant pays.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
:roflmao:

LOL wut?

Where's the problem if both are tied to inflation rate and rise proportionally?
I'll give you another example. Take child care for instance. Highly labor intensive, and each employee is only allowed to supervise a certain number of kids, therefore extremely sensitive to wage increases. Minimum wage goes up, which in turn raises the cost of child care. Therefore the person trying to raise kids on a McDs paycheck who all of a sudden got a raise is already losing a lot of that raise to the minimum wage increase. Same goes for where they buy their groceries.

That said, I would not be opposed to a mandated 1-2% increase in the federal minimum wage to keep up with inflation. I think that would be better than fighting hard to raise it by larger increments every 5-10 years, only to have those increases eaten up by the inflation that is partly caused by them.