How do shortboards most often break or buckle?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
How do shortboards most often break or buckle when there isn't human contact involved?

Asking about boards that crease, buckle or break because of the force of the wave not by the rider hitting the board.

Is it from force coming from the deck side causing the bottom to fail or is it more often from force against the bottom side that causes the deck side to fail?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
In my experience, always the lip hitting the deck and the bottom side splits. But I suppose it could be either just depends if the board gets flipped over in a wipeout or whatever and is exposed to the falling lip.
Also only happens right under where my front foot goes. YMMV

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
In my experience, always the lip hitting the deck and the bottom side splits. But I suppose it could be either just depends if the board gets flipped over in a wipeout or whatever and is exposed to the falling lip.
Also only happens right under where my front foot goes. YMMV
Mainly what I was wondering is if the deck side is weaker in terms of breaking, creasing or buckling than the bottom from a structural standpoint.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think it’s the opposite
Depends on direction of board I think as well because only board I ever snapped was duckdiving while getting caught inside on tropical reef. I did not realize until many years later but still have never had to try it " ditch board legthwise to wave (parallel).

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
The most common one I see is the nose snapping off from a board going over the falls and driven itself into the sand or bottom. Used to see this often from guys having trouble getting out of the water at a strong beach break during dumpy high tides. They would lose track of time, tide would creep up and they would get caught in that treadmill zone at the steep shore. Your at the mercy of the shorebreak at that point and it would love to eat boards.

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
The most common one I see is the nose snapping off from a board going over the falls and driven itself into the sand or bottom. Used to see this often from guys having trouble getting out of the water at a strong beach break during dumpy high tides. They would lose track of time, tide would creep up and they would get caught in that treadmill zone at the steep shore. Your at the mercy of the shorebreak at that point and it would love to eat boards.
jeez, that would be an embarrassing way to break a board. I prefer long Ritchie Skeletor Collins floaters to acid drop!

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
jeez, that would be an embarrassing way to break a board. I prefer long Ritchie Skeletor Collins floaters to acid drop!
Indeed. I would be changing out of my wetsuit at the cliff looking down and have the best view in the house of it. Guys looking defeated walking back up to their cars with their boards in pieces & heads hanging down, haha. Local knowledge ftw.

Reactions: Senor Sopa

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Break on bottom side, glass hanging on the deck.
Buckle 99% time on deck.

When the board flexes, you get compression forces on the deck. The energy wants to go somewhere, it doesn't take all that much for the energy to decide to start trying to pull the glass from the foam. Do that enough times and its a buckle waiting to happen underneath the fulcrum of your hands when duck-diving. Look up "column instability".

Reactions: daave

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Mostly break from errant airdrops or closeout barrels. Ditching your board and having it snap is the worst but the next most unglorious are kickouts when you get out of the wave but the board doesn't. Board goes halfway over with lip and resulting stress = buckle or snap (and always from the bottom; deck glass is usually more or less intact).

This has happened to me more than I wish. Irritating when a board survives all sorts of thrashings through unmade barrels, etc. and then snaps that way. Not nearly as worthy as air drop with back foot going right through the deck upon landing.

Now that I think about, when the break is through the near-midpoint of the board, it's usually something shameful. But when the break is just in front of the fins, it's usually something righteously catastrophic that caused it.

May 11, 2021
I don't actually know how this happened, but felt the crease after first wave of session in 2-3 foot surf. Lightspeed eps - surfed it maybe 6 times. Is this normal? to be expected? Acceptable? Or am I supremely unlucky?
IMG_1904.JPG