What is the best proven anti shark device, other than nets or drum lines ?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think the Shark Shield probably works but probably not all the time and not on all species as well. Personally, I'd use one if I lived in certain counties since my mind goes certain places it shouldn't. Whatever psych-aid gets you in the water, use.

Defintiely a good idea if you're a free diver since there's no foam between you and the bottom row of teeth.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Seems like you could do it to any clear board with a little time, some black broad tip Posca Pens and a rattle can of clear acrylic.
Yeah I did it with masking tape, newspaper, and black spray paint to my son's board when he was nine. We were surfing all the reefs near my place and they are super sharky. I was so paranoid. He would have been like a little snack morsel to a tiger or even a healthy reef shark.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
back in the day we'd catch one in our no longer legal overnight lay net. One of our uncles told us to rub part of the carcass on the bottom of our surfboards to make them slick and to scare away the mano. Dead shark smells terrible. We used to hang the big ones from trees fronting the paddle out spot to remind surfers of the man in the grey suit. Then we found a way using milk to get rid of the smell and taste so we could eat the meat. This was all pre-jaws the movie. We believed the mano shark god the aumakua for the people of pu'uloa but paddling out in the dark was different after that movie came out.
BTW I heard the B/W striping works from a bunch of people, that or a big ass spear gun.

home with a baby they didn't name this spot for nothing.
picture-4700-1555706136.jpg

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
I read an article on the Internet that many shark repellents don't work, it's true?
If it says it on the internet, it must be true.
I never even thought about sharks around here until the seal population exploded on Cape Cod and Southern New England became a popular Great White fast food joint. :shark:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

Reactions: PRCD

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
here's my 'freedom 7':
RW~shark shield-1.JPG
ah, yes, they do work, kinda bitchin' to see an animal,
in thee wild, turn tail as it hits that electronic force field
when it is headin' towards ya, to investigate you...
no ~ :shark: ~ no, + no!

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
When I worked in a fishing tackle store many moons ago the owner used to joke that 90% of the fishing tackle business was about catching fishermen.....not fish. The shark repellent business is virtually 100% about catching those scared of the unknown.