Alternatives to higher ed

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I suppose you need to do something about the existing plastic. Supposedly it's piling up in the Midway Islands. I'm pretty much tone-deaf to all those problems since cassandras have been telling me the world was going to end in environmental calamity since the 5th grade in public school.

What about a low-tech/no-tech solution:
Then you need to deal with the push back by the petroleum industry.

Under reaction and over reaction are both potential errors.

Reactions: PRCD

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm pretty much tone-deaf to all those problems since cassandras have been telling me the world was going to end in environmental calamity since the 5th grade in public school.
I love the lack of self-awareness demonstrated by this post

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So he's a life coach?

Ken Rusk specializes in mentoring and has coached hundreds of young people in areas such as short-, mid-, and long-term goal setting, life visualization, career paths, and sound financial planning. He is passionate about helping people achieve their dreams regardless of their educational background or past.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So he's a life coach?

Ken Rusk specializes in mentoring and has coached hundreds of young people in areas such as short-, mid-, and long-term goal setting, life visualization, career paths, and sound financial planning. He is passionate about helping people achieve their dreams regardless of their educational background or past.
Important question.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Heard about this on Suzanne Venker's podcast:

COVID is definitely burning the old narratives.
I'd bet money this is a more interesting read and says roughly the same.

Fiction for the win.

Reactions: Mr Doof

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
you should be able to get a BA for under 30 gs.
BS/BA for < $20K is entirely possible. CC -> CSU is the best deal ever.

2 years at CC: ~ $0.
2 years at CSU (tuition + books): ~ $18K, assuming they live at home and commute.
*Although you might want to pay whatever it takes to get your kid to move out!

The difference in earning potential between a BS at a generic CSU vs at a generic UC is minimal compared to the difference between having a BS and having just an AA degree.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A lot of PhD dissertations are so hyper-specific in their scope that they basically have no practical value to anyone.
Professors tell their grad students that the PhD will be valuable, and it IS valuable to the professor who gets to publish his name with the graduates' work. The research is so narrow - as you say - that the PhD is only valuable to the one receiving it if employers in that field want that particular area of research. It's great for employers to say they value a PhD because minting more PhDs drives down the cost and they can pick from the ones that researched the thing valuable to them. The whole thing is a scam.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Professors tell their grad students that the PhD will be valuable, and it IS valuable to the professor who gets to publish his name with the graduates' work. The research is so narrow - as you say - that the PhD is only valuable to the one receiving it if employers in that field want that particular area of research. It's great for employers to say they value a PhD because minting more PhDs drives down the cost and they can pick from the ones that researched the thing valuable to them. The whole thing is a scam.
Yeah I could see why a professor with a somewhat varied portfolio of published papers would rubber stamp a 7 year study on the plight of transgender Ugandan radish farmers, however I don't see how that knowledge helps advance the career of the actual student. Plus the universities and professors love the indentured servitude of the candidate in the form of free-ish labor for the universities.

In the private sector, there will always be science-based companies that want to hire PhDs from science fields, even if it's only to lend credibility for marketing purposes. However many of them are worthless when it comes to soft skills and actual human interaction.