So, how long will Work From Home actually last?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
i think the people who moved to cheaper states to work remotely are going to get screwed. they got another year for sure. but once it's safe to return to offices from covid I see getting back to near levels of working in the office as previously. I think executives and management people want people in the office to get back to having meetings all day in person, even despite effectiveness of working at home. Eventually, I think those people that moved are going to find their jobs eliminated and replaced at lower salary for someone that will be in the office. Office space is going to get cheap and leases negotiated to have near the same head count back on site as pre-covid.
One thing before I retired we were trying to get a picture on is people working remotely and living out of state for payroll purposes. Having to file quarterly wage reports in multiple states, the added costs and complexity of doing so.

From an employers position, especially in California, just requiring everybody to report back to work like normal might be the easiest, cheapest solution.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
i think the people who moved to cheaper states to work remotely are going to get screwed. they got another year for sure. but once it's safe to return to offices from covid I see getting back to near levels of working in the office as previously. I think executives and management people want people in the office to get back to having meetings all day in person, even despite effectiveness of working at home. Eventually, I think those people that moved are going to find their jobs eliminated and replaced at lower salary for someone that will be in the office. Office space is going to get cheap and leases negotiated to have near the same head count back on site as pre-covid.
I think you are exactly right, except for the effectiveness aspect.

I went from newsroom to working from home as a stringer while going to school in my early 20s. I think effectiveness begins to dwindle the longer time spent away - at least in my personal experience.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
And once they're in Arizona, Austin, Arkansas, etc., it will be almost impossible for them to move back.

1606962888030.png

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I’m opting to go back to the office in January providing a widespread or local lockdown doesn’t change my mind for me.

I hated working at home the first two months of quarantine. It was not all it’s cracked up to be. I felt consumed by work in a way that I never had been before and I’m used to working long hours. The lines between my personal life and work life were completely blurred. I was always on call. I like leaving the office and checking out for the day until I come back. When my office was the next room it was hard to do that. Plus my gf is working from home which means we spend way too much time together and are right on top of eachother as we only have one extra room for a home office.

I talked to my producer yesterday and I got a huge board room for my edit bay with a private 2nd floor balcony so I can work with the door open and fresh air. I’ll keep my door locked and bring in my own mini fridge, nespresso and microwave for my lunch and refreshments. Protocol is that the rooms on either side of me have to be empty so for once noise from other editors won’t be an issue. Only thing I’ll have to worry about are shared bathrooms. I’m stocked and crossing my fingers that further shutdowns don’t sh!t on this situation.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I hated working at home the first two months of quarantine. It was not all it’s cracked up to be. I felt consumed by work in a way that I never had been before and I’m used to working long hours. The lines between my personal life and work life were completely blurred. I was always on call. I like leaving the office and checking out for the day until I come back. When my office was the next room it was hard to do that. Plus my gf is working from home which means we spend way too much time together and are right on top of eachother as we only have one extra room for a home office.
I think a lot of people will feel similar in 6 months to a year if they don't already.

My wife was feeling the same way before going back to in person learning. Sick of being at home, missed the interaction with kids and coworkers, and most of all feeling the line between work and home was blurred.

The plus side was my pepis (man parts) were being serviced with greater frequency.

Reactions: grapedrink

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I’m opting to go back to the office in January providing a widespread or local lockdown changes my mind for me.

I talked to my producer yesterday and I got a huge board room for my edit bay with a private 2nd floor balcony so I can work with the door open and fresh air. I’ll keep my door locked and bring in my own mini fridge, bed press o and microwave for my lunch and refreshments. Protocol is that the rooms on either side of me have to be empty so for once noise from other editors won’t be an issue. Only thing I’ll have to worry about are shared bathrooms. I’m stocked and crossing my fingers that further shutdowns don’t sh!t on this situation.
I absolutely agree with you.

Working a daily set schedule gives you a starting point and an ending point.

Since I've been working at home that has disappeared. Emails 24/7. There is no longer a line between work time and personal time. Some people working normal business hours, others who work all night long.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I absolutely agree with you.

Working a daily set schedule gives you a starting point and an ending point.

Since I've been working at home that has disappeared. Emails 24/7. There is no longer a line between work time and personal time. Some people working normal business hours, others who work all night long.
Yup. If I get forced back into WFH I’ve already decided that I’m gonna be that guy who draws a hard line in the sand and doesn’t respond to emails or answer the phone when I’m not on the clock. I was never a stickler for hours but if I work from home I’m going to have to be.

The flip side of that is I’m going to have to be more disciplined. It’s wat too easy to do things like take the dog for a long two hour walk during my lunch break on a nice day or actually break to eat dinner at a normal hour and tell myself I have the freedom to make up the time later in the eventing which eventually leads to me working until midnight or later which sucks. One thing I’ve found as I get older is that I need chill time to wind down at the end of the day. I can’t just work and crawl into bed.

Reactions: Leaverite

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
I think you are exactly right, except for the effectiveness aspect.

I went from newsroom to working from home as a stringer while going to school in my early 20s. I think effectiveness begins to dwindle the longer time spent away - at least in my personal experience.
accounting/finance has been completely effective working remotely from home. there's very little reason to be in the office doing that on a corporate level, except if you're still paper dependent. but if the rest of the company comes back in, we'll have to also

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My last physical day of employment before retirement is 12/31.

Right now I'm on a paid vacation bridge that started 10/21, trying to use up all of the accrued vacation I have accumulated so I don't get hit with a huge lump vacation payout at the end of this year. On top of the retirement incentive. Tax purposes.

I've already been doing some research projects that are cutting into that time. Also recieved a formal offer to come back as a part time employee effective 01/01 to do the year end reconciliations/W2's.

As a PERS retiree I can work up to 960 hours annually (fiscal year, July - June) before it will affect my pension.

You teachers out there know the deal with CalSTRS. STRS has an $$$ earnings limit, which is like $50,000+ before it affects your pension.

With all of this Covid BS. Trying to reinvent the wheel on a daily basis. When the college announced the retirement incentive I took it. Turns out seven other long time employees in our office did the same. Seven employees out of thirteen total. A Mass Exodus. Next year is going to be a steep learning curve for our college. I'm glad to be available to help make the transition but I'm going to do it on my terms.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Yup. If I get forced back into WFH I’ve already decided that I’m gonna be that guy who draws a hard line in the sand and doesn’t respond to emails or answer the phone when I’m not on the clock. I was never a stickler for hours but if I work from home I’m going to have to be.

The flip side of that is I’m going to have to be more disciplined. It’s wat too easy to do things like take the dog for a long two hour walk during my lunch break on a nice day or actually break to eat dinner at a normal hour and tell myself I have the freedom to make up the time later in the eventing which eventually leads to me working until midnight or later which sucks. One thing I’ve found as I get older is that I need chill time to wind down at the end of the day. I can’t just work and crawl into bed.
I feel the same way. If I take a couple of hours during the day, I make them up. It should all balance out in the end, but it seems to always land in the favor of doing more work. Somebody, somewhere, always has a critical problem.

Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I feel the same way. If I take a couple of hours during the day, I make them up. It should all balance out in the end, but it seems to always land in the favor of doing more work. Somebody, somewhere, always has a critical problem.
Fuck, I hate agreeing with you.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
fook, I hate agreeing with you.
You're getting older and smarter.....There will be a Skully "Get Off of My Lawn" post one of these days.

Dude, It's a way to clean the corporate pipes out of all of those top of the salary schedule old timers. They move and the recall trumpet gets sounded. When roll call is done, they're not there. Just bump the smarties up through the ranks.

Last edited:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
If I had to work from home I'm pretty sure I'd put a bullet in my brain inside of 30 days of doing so.
My daily lunch prospects are what still get me out of bed in the morning.
Can't do that from work at home and it's a bit more difficult right now to do the regular lunch haunts.

Reactions: Leaverite