L.A.'s coast was once a DDT dumping ground

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Such a fucked chemical, what a messed up situation. We need reform on usage Of pesticides. I don’t mean banning, but stricter measures as they are very valuable tools in many applications. I’m a licensed applicator, and have been doing this for 15 years so my opinion doesn’t come without knowledge and experience.

Pesticides become very widespread fairly easily. Animals in the Antarctic have found to have various levels of pesticides in them. Think about that.

I urge anyone who is considering applications at their homes to only use licensed companies that have an established IPM and knowledgeable applicator that can actually identify the problems they’re addressing. That use the lowest toxicity chemical possible And dont get pissed if only one tree, or no trees at all, are sprayed. That’s the point of IPM programs. Not only do they lessen our usage significantly but it’s more efficient and results are healthier plants.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Nasty stuff
There's a good correlation of the early use of DDT with Polio outbreaks....

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Such a fucked chemical, what a messed up situation. We need reform on usage Of pesticides. I don’t mean banning, but stricter measures as they are very valuable tools in many applications. I’m a licensed applicator, and have been doing this for 15 years so my opinion doesn’t come without knowledge and experience.

Pesticides become very widespread fairly easily. Animals in the Antarctic have found to have various levels of pesticides in them. Think about that.

I urge anyone who is considering applications at their homes to only use licensed companies that have an established IPM and knowledgeable applicator that can actually identify the problems they’re addressing. That use the lowest toxicity chemical possible And dont get pissed if only one tree, or no trees at all, are sprayed. That’s the point of IPM programs. Not only do they lessen our usage significantly but it’s more efficient and results are healthier plants.
what do you recommend for crabs on the pecker?

i’ll take your answer in the surf doc’s forum if that’s o.k?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
bring back malaria and yellow fever to the third world!
we could use some here too...

what’s your problem with rachel carson, mthrfk?
When I said it saved lives, I didn't mean that in a good way.

I wonder ho roundup compares to DDT?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Montrose Chemical. And just think of everything that flowed into Dominguez Channel and from there right to Seal Beach.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I wonder what the DDT concentrations are like in my blubber sample?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
A little glyphosate story.

we have a big contract with NYC parks for invasive plant control and restoration. Glyphosate was one of the main means of control for invasive trees, vines and multiflora rose. These are plants that are hugely detrimental to our forest ecosystem and a specific tree, ailanthus, is key to control if we want to avoid spotted lantern fly gaining a foothold and adding more pressure to our forests. The work is tedious-exciting. Clipping thousands of multiflora and mowing them going in and painting the herbicide or dropping huge and dangerous vine laden ailanthus in one cut making you feel like a logger. We would then paint the stumps immediately to prevent the trunk from colonizing with hundreds of sprouts from the roots. After the roundup lawsuit the city prohibited us from using that chemical for liability and legal reasons. we had to move to a different, nastier chemical.

the point being that we need reform and better legislation But it needs to be meaningful.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
DDT was dumped off PV from about Lunada Bay to Cabrillo back in the 50's and 60's.

It basically turned the bottom dwelling sea life into a cemetary for decades. South PV became an underwater wasteland, where even the kelp took decades to come back.

I surfed it in the 70's and you could still tell there was something wrong with the lack of sea life out there.