Road Trip

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I retired last week.

A couple friends and I decided to do a road trip to celebrate. Goal was to leave last week and come back tomorrow. The weather changed our plans.

We left Wed morning early from Santa Cruz. Our goal was mid Nevada, north of Tonopah in the Humbolt Toiyabe mountains. Approx 9 hours if all went well.

Got through the Bay Area early for a weekday morning. No rush hour traffic. Then out 580 towards Tracy/Mantica/Yosemite Gateway. Still in the dark, we missed the HWY 120 turnoff to Yosemite, which actually turned out to be a good thing and ended up going over Sonora Pass. 25% grades on the east side. I'd never been past Strawberry/Dodge Ridge so it was all new. That is steep.

Down to Hwy 395 and south to Lee Vining. Then back on 120 from Lee Vining over to Benton. I thought it might make a good stop to
do an OHV road south of Mono Lake - Panum crater. Wrong. Deep ash, not sand. Bottomless. I got stuck and it took us two hours to get back out to the pavement. It was an adventure. Then to Benton, Hwy 6 out to 95 and Tonopah. Gas in Tonopah. Gas is the major commodity in Tonopah to get you to someplace else. Then up Hwy 376 to our destination. Let us just say it was remote.

More to follow.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
How many years did you put in?

STERS or PERS

PRCD hates you.

A great time to get out.

I have co workers who have worked as long as I have but they are older and they bailed.

I'm getting the hang of Zoom teaching.

It's terrible but I'm getting the hang of it.

I'm going to really appreciate getting back in the classroom again.

I always loved it.

But to not do it really made me miss it.

Last edited:

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
May the stock be with you! Sounds epic.

Not even close, is what I used to say until this pandemic. Now I'll probably try to make it happen earlier. Or maybe just part time something. Who knows, and privileged to have options so far. Wife was born in Aus and got our daughter dual-citizen status, so there's that. I could teach little ones for a while too, seeing how this pandemic changes education.

Reactions: the janitor

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It was epic.

STERS or PERS

PRCD hates you.

A great time to get out.

I have co workers who have worked as long as I have but they are older and they bailed.

I always loved it.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
16+ years in CalPERS. I joined CalPERS when it was 2% at 55. Since 2013 its 2% @ 60.

CalSTRS is different. Membership prior to 2013, 2% @ 60. After 2013, 2% @ 62.

A great road trip. Home now since Saturday morning.

Wed was great. High 70's that afternoon, 30's at night. Thursday was the same during the day. Mid 70's. No wind, just a pleasant day to hike and explore.

Thursday night it changed. I brought a 20 degree bag and a larger, Bib Agnes 0 degree bag. Thursday night I needed to snuggle down inside both of them. Temp in the canyon dropped into the teens. Cold. Butt Ass Cold. Being in a canyon it took till 9:00 AM before sunlight hit camp. And it was windy. 20 - 30 Mph gusts coming down the canyon off the ridges.

I packed up. Not a pleasurable to spend a day in, let alone another night.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: the janitor

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
May the stock be with you! Sounds epic.

Not even close, is what I used to say until this pandemic. Now I'll probably try to make it happen earlier. Or maybe just part time something. Who knows, and privileged to have options so far. Wife was born in Aus and got our daughter dual-citizen status, so there's that. I could teach little ones for a while too, seeing how this pandemic changes education.

What triggered me was a Huge Retirement incentive.

For me????? $36,000.00.

Fvck this sh!t. I have a limited amount of time left on this Earth to be and do something. I took it.

It may have backfired for the Powers That Be. Five other long timers in our office chose to do the same.

Six out of thirteen. A whole new World at my Community College. L8.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal

STERS or PERS

PRCD hates you.

A great time to get out.

I always loved it.

Dude.... Are you tenured? If not. Retire. The CalSTRS annual Retiree wage limit is like $50,000 dollars. That means you can work as a retiree teacher and earn up to $50,000 plus your retirement and be Golden.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Dude.... Are you tenured? If not. Retire. The CalSTRS annual Retiree wage limit is like $50,000 dollars. That means you can work as a retiree teacher and earn up to $50,000 plus your retirement and be Golden.
No, I'm a contract worker.

But I got 23 years in CalPERS

I can teach 3 classes per year retired.

I was just trying to work to 65 but I don't think I'm going to make it.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The Cold.

That is what made me pack up and Bail in the long run. 30 MPH cold wind. No campfires. I packed up and retreated to Tonopah.

Decided to head Home. Over to Benton. Then Lee Vining.

Tioga Pass.

Rolled up. "Do You Have a Reservation" No.... "I just want to go home to Santa Cruz" "You need a reservation, Covid..." "Nut Me Up" $35.00
"

Do the CalPERS website and plug your #s in.

To me, CalPERS is just a portion. I have i

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal

CalPERS till 65. Can you backfill your income with retirement plus Adjunct/Overload???? If so. At 65 you get Social Security/Medicare on top.

I just retired. Already have a a half dozen projects I am NEEDED for.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Going Back.

All of you should know about Going Back. It's a slice of life. You need to nut up and Deal with it.... I learned this on Friday Morning. 11 degrees, 30 MPH winds through the canyon. Like minus 11 . Time to Go Home...