Looking for a camera-surfing injury downtime

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Had an injury and figured I may as well get a camera to take some pics of my friends and family. Surfing shots primarily. Auto focus, ease of uploading pics, wifi capable, stuff like that.
Any recommendations? Looking to stay under $500 $600

Thanks

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Had an injury and figured I may as well get a camera to take some pics of my friends and family. Surfing shots primarily. Auto focus, ease of uploading pics, wifi capable, stuff like that.

Thanks
Add another zero to your budget and I can point you in the right direction.

Reactions: PeederNorteRips

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
I’m in the same injury boat.

A6000 / a6500 is suprisingly good

i just picked up a mavic mini drone fly more kit... pretty dope for $500, flying camera is more fun for a shitty photog (me)

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
KEH has been a great gear resource for years. Scored lots of used equipment at a decent price, and their grading system is legit. Been buying from them since they did a newsprint catalog every month.
It truly is a gem. I've bought a lot of used film equipment on there. It is nice being able to have confidence when buying that type of stuff online and shipping has always been quick too.

Reactions: xmesa

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

Thanks
I have one of these and it fits your budget and features you ask for. Its gives reasonably good results shooting surfing. Mine is the prior version of the same camera that had a 16mp sensor. I assume this new version is even better.

I've had point and shoot ZOOM cameras like this for probably 20 years starting with a Kodak 10mp with a 12X zoom many years ago.

I'd say the biggest drawbacks with these cameras is their light weight in your hand and the fact that they shoot jpeg format which limits your editing abilities.

Sample shots:

Shot in perfect light. This is about as good of a shot as I ever got out of this type of camera.

Shot taken into afternoon glare. Jordy.

From there, much like you, after a shoulder injury I wanted to get some good camera equipment and I also had a limited budget. My goal was to get close to professional results. I did a lot of research and consulted with some legit pro photographers. Based on my budget the best tools for the job were to get a used Canon 7D and a used Canon 100-400L IS USM lens. You can get yourself into a set-up like this right now for about $1,300 buying from reputable sources. The difference between this rig and anything new under $500 is ridiculous.

With the 7D and immersing myself in learning the camera I was getting shots like this fairly quickly. These pictures are a few years old now.

The addition of Lightroom for editing has taken my shots to a whole nother level. Shooting in Raw and editing in Lightroom I can now take shots from less than perfect conditions and turn them into very good pictures very quickly.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
A fiend bought this exact set up and I have played with it. It does a reasonably good job with the 75-300 kit lens. Combine that body with the 100-400L and it actually performs pretty well. The shooting speed sucks though if you want to shoot sequences. They claim it shoots 3 frames per second but its more like 2. Feels like a real turtle compared to buying a used 7D for $350. Image quality on what you do get isn't bad though.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
A fiend bought this exact set up and I have played with it. It does a reasonably good job with the 75-300 kit lens. Combine that body with the 100-400L and it actually performs pretty well. The shooting speed sucks though if you want to shoot sequences. They claim it shoots 3 frames per second but its more like 2. Feels like a real turtle compared to buying a used 7D for $350. Image quality on what you do get isn't bad though.

Thanks
You need a DSLR

Here’s a good choice and it’s only $300 bucks on amazon. You could be shooting surf pix or video by Monday afternoon.

Panasonic Lumix FZ80 4K Digital Camera, 18.1 Megapixel Video Camera, 60X Zoom DC VARIO 20-1200mm Lens, F2.8-5.9 Aperture, Power O.I.S. Stabilization, Touch Enabled 3-Inch LCD, Wi-Fi, DC-FZ80K (Black)

With the money you saved you could include a nice tripod too.

Reactions: Belchfire1

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
If you're going to go the Canon route, might as well get a 5D, MK2-3 is still a great full frame camera and it's dirt cheap. Way better than a Rebel.

Also to consider, lenses for mirror cameras will become cheaper with time. There's some great glass to be had at the moment for low prices as everybody is switching to mirrorless.

Reactions: Belchfire1