So what now? erBB's ?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
What's going to happen to this stupid forum?
I've been here for 15+ years (my first post was... How is a Santa Monica Surf Case going to be easy going to Tahiti?)
Well.. here I am 15 years later.
What have you to say BFF as well as PPK as well as Timayee down in BCS?
It's been a hell of a good time guys, (even you Gromsdad) Maybe one of us can start up a new erBB on our own.
I'm up for it.

Reactions: diro and Aruka

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
its easy to start a forum, or we can all go to reddit
even though it sucks and its full of sjws

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Easy to start.

Much harder to gain users/followers these days for a forum, than most people realize.

And you have to manage it. Domain and webhosting cost money.

And good luck to whoever moderates. You'll find out quickly how hard it is to maintain order. Good luck dealing with 1000's of spam bot registrations and posts, hacker attacks on your weak security, etc.

After about 6 months of grinding, you'll come to realize it's a huge waste of your time and that you're never going to make a dime on it, nor will you even achieve a 100 regular users. You'll be frustrated, you will stop maintaining it, the forum will die a quick death, and you will have realized you wasted a ton of your time when you could have been doing something more fun like surfing, reading, watching movies, or spending time with friends and family.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Whoa, so after everything else in 2020, we really ARE losing the erBB? I have been reading these posts not actually thinking they would shut down the website too

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Surprised it is still up, has to be some monetary value to this place?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Whoa, so after everything else in 2020, we really ARE losing the erBB? I have been reading these posts not actually thinking they would shut down the website too
Nobody has said the forum is going away. But print-mag based companies have been hurting for profits since the internet came about. No surprise there.

The forum produces a lot of page hits and traffic for their media stats. They need those numbers to sell advertising. Or they may dump everything and we get back to our roots, which would be ok by me.

Last edited:

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
Easy to start.

Much harder to gain users/followers these days for a forum, than most people realize.

And you have to manage it. Domain and webhosting cost money.

And good luck to whoever moderates. You'll find out quickly how hard it is to maintain order. Good luck dealing with 1000's of spam bot registrations and posts, hacker attacks on your weak security, etc.

After about 6 months of grinding, you'll come to realize it's a huge waste of your time and that you're never going to make a dime on it, nor will you even achieve a 100 regular users. You'll be frustrated, you will stop maintaining it and the forum will die a quick death.
Jeez dude, you can still moderate on the new site.

No need to get all territorial.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Hope we can all stay in touch.
Believe it or not, I really enjoy coming here.
I never thought I would be a part of a social media site, and, I still have nothing to do with Twatter, Farcebook or linked Dim or any other social media bullshit, for some reason, I like this place.
C-Ya!

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Times are changing and this feels like the end of an amazing era.

If I had one crew to paddle out with one last time, it would be the erBB crew for sure. There would be 100 of us in the water, and the other 30 standing in the parking lot arguing about politics. Afterwards we can go out for beer and pizza, share stories one last time, and then disappear into the void of this ever changing world of chaos and wonder.

For anyone that hasn't read the article.

The WSL will be the next major entity to fold. How many more years of losses can they sustain before the billionaire gets bored and sells it? Could they even find a buyer for it?

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Times are changing, and this feels like the end of an amazing era.

If I had one crew to paddle out with one last time, it would be the erBB crew for sure. There would be 100 of us in the water, and the other 30 standing in the parking lot arguing about politics. Afterwards we can go out for beer and pizza, share stories one last time, and then disappear into the void of this ever changing world of chaos and wonder.

For anyone that hasn't read the article.

Pizza?
So this will be an east coast event?

Do you thinks we’ll be given any warning before shutdown so we can make a plan?
Like when families have a fire plan - in case of fire, meet at the tree across the street, or something like that

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Pizza?
So this will be an east coast event?

Do you thinks we’ll be given any warning before shutdown so we can make a plan?
Like when families have a fire plan - in case of fire, meet at the tree across the street, or something like that
I've contacted some higher ups and will report back. Some may have already lost their jobs, so they might not have access to their emails anymore. Don't be surprised if things just turn off one day. Corporations move fast when they are bleeding money.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I’ve been posting on a now defunct record label’s message board since around 1993. Since the label went under someone kept the forum going on an unsearchable link. It’s pretty much off the grid, about a dozen existing users know the url and still come by and post. Never have to deal with bots or spammers. Movement is a lot slower than this place but it’s pretty civil as everyone knows eachother for over twenty years. It is possible to pull it off under the radar. Especially if it’s password protected and invite only.

Reactions: johnson7

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I've contacted some higher ups and will report back. Some may have already lost their jobs, so they might not have access to their emails anymore. Don't be surprised if things just turn off one day. Corporations move fast when they are bleeding money.
Noooooo
Saltwaterdreams.com is available

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
we created this a while back to prepare for this moment

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
probably just me but Reddit does not have a forum look or feel....conducive to comment but not discussion. could move to another surf forum and attack like a virus. i think SwellInfo forum is still chugging away with a handful of members and is probably ripe for a takeover.