Any Other Martial Artists Out There?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You do realize everyone in the UFC trains BJJ and not just Maia?

Royce won 1 and 2 because he was the only one who knew BJJ.

That being said, boxing, wrestling, judo and Jiu jitsu all together makes you very difficult to deal with in a one on one fight with no weapons.
If I had to pick attributes to go into mma with it would be wrestling followed by Thai striking. The bjj that works in mma is white belt self stuff. Americana, mata leon, straight arm bar thumbs up like fonzie lol, etc.

Royce won those first UFCs b/c this guy wasn’t invited yet. They protected the brand until they could establish it.

1601300344937.jpeg

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If I had to pick attributes to go into mma with it would be wrestling followed by Thai striking. The bjj that works in mma is white belt self stuff. Americana, mata leon, straight arm bar thumbs up like fonzie lol, etc.

Royce won those first UFCs b/c this guy wasn’t invited yet. They protected the brand until they could establish it.

View attachment 98392
Depends on the rule set. 5 min rounds with a reset back to standing neutral at the start of each favors the wrestler/striker combo.

No time limit, no stand ups, bigger cage favors jiu jitsu and Luta Livre. Also keep in mind that most of today’s jiu jitsu is sport jiu jitsu.

We are training to get better at doing jiu jitsu against guys that are good at jiu jitsu. 90% of the techniques would get you killed in a fight.

Royce won because they set it up for him to win from the rules they used to who they invited.

If they invited Marco they wouldn’t have used Royce. They would have used Rickson. They used Royce because he’s smaller and skinny. UFC 1 was nothing more than an advertisement for Gracie jiu jitsu.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Uhhhh....that looks pretty right wing. And was that an Israeli ((Meyer)) running the training? His accent didn't sound Chicagoan or even American. He can always go home if things get bad here. These ladies/gentlemen??? are probably better off working on their 40 yard dash time and something like this:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Judo always seems underrated for self defense, those throws would be devastating on the street.
I never got good at throws but when you executed one properly it was insane how the person instantly became weightless. Instead I got really good at trips after tying up and landing on top.

Reactions: mundus

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
No, that's for pussies.

Former Cobra Kai orange belt, out!
I took Karate for a few years when I was in elementary/middle school. Our teacher said the point of marital arts was to avoid violence and the first step was your attitude. With the proper attitude, he said, you should never get in fights. If you are confronted, you apologize. If that doesn't work you run. If you get cornered you apologize again. If that still doesn't work you take a defensive stance. You never throw the first punch. You take a defensive stance, block and then strike to disable or kill. All our training and practice started at that point. Wait, block, disable.

I took my black belt test when I was 11. I had to spar against an adult, I hoped he would take it easy on me, since I was a skinny little kid. He didn't. He pummeled me. I didn't pass the test. I wonder if he passed ? Soon after, I discovered surfing and was never interested in any other sports after that.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Depends on the rule set. 5 min rounds with a reset back to standing neutral at the start of each favors the wrestler/striker combo.

No time limit, no stand ups, bigger cage favors jiu jitsu and Luta Livre. Also keep in mind that most of today’s jiu jitsu is sport jiu jitsu.

We are training to get better at doing jiu jitsu against guys that are good at jiu jitsu. 90% of the techniques would get you killed in a fight.

Royce won because they set it up for him to win from the rules they used to who they invited.

If they invited Marco they wouldn’t have used Royce. They would have used Rickson. They used Royce because he’s smaller and skinny. UFC 1 was nothing more than an advertisement for Gracie jiu jitsu.
I’m the hugest Rickson fan but the older I get the more I think Ruas would’ve taken it. He was an incredibly well rounded fighter and a bad man. Way more athletic than Rickson.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
UFC 3, Royce beats a roided out Kimo from Hawaii.

When hairpulling, head butting, and knees to the groin were allowed, and no weight classes.

Reactions: Joshua2415

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’m the hugest Rickson fan but the older I get the more I think Ruas would’ve taken it. He was an incredibly well rounded fighter and a bad man. Way more athletic than Rickson.
Rickson had an open invitation and Ruas wanted no part of it.

We’ll just never know...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I took Karate for a few years when I was in elementary/middle school. Our teacher said the point of marital arts was to avoid violence and the first step was your attitude. With the proper attitude, he said, you should never get in fights. If you are confronted, you apologize. If that doesn't work you run. If you get cornered you apologize again. If that still doesn't work you take a defensive stance. You never throw the first punch. You take a defensive stance, block and then strike to disable or kill. All our training and practice started at that point. Wait, block, disable.

I took my black belt test when I was 11. I had to spar against an adult, I hoped he would take it easy on me, since I was a skinny little kid. He didn't. He pummeled me. I didn't pass the test. I wonder if he passed ? Soon after, I discovered surfing and was never interested in any other sports after that.
Traditional martial arts always teach you to avoid fighting for a couple reasons.

One is that karate type training gives people a sense of invincibility which might have them go looking for an excuse.

The other is that TMAs don’t work for sh!t in a real fight and getting in a fight would expose the uselessness of it.

People who do martial arts where live sparring against an uncooperative opponents is an integral part of training (wrestling judo Muay Thai boxing BJJ) are all very good to prepare you for a fight.

Also in those arts we are not told not to fight outside the gym. It isn’t necessary to push that narrative for a couple reasons.

The sh!t works.

And getting your ass beat every time you train makes people realize exactly how vulnerable they really are.

The more I train BJJ and kick boxing the less I want to get into a fight.

It also makes it easier to avoid them.

Reactions: Chocki and mundus

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I didnt like the Gi.

Was a total turnoff to training BJJ.

Its hot, its unrealistic, and boring in a gi.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I don't mind the gi, good to learn chokes and throws with gi and especially nogi. I got tired of getting my nuts smashed and chronic acid reflux while playing guard. The thing about modern ufc is it really does show how sports bjj has become too highly refined. No top rated bjj athlete competes in mma anymore. Damian Maia is done. He's like a stubborn mule that will not evolve beyond his stellar bjj ground game, which just isn't cutting it anymore. There are allot of really cool things to learn in bjj, and nothing else out there compares with pressure testing oneself in a relatively safe environment. But as soon as your step out of the polite rules boundary, like no nut smashing, or neck cranks, or small joint locks, or kneeing to the head etc... it becomes nothing more than good exercise. I mean you're not even allowed to do knee bars until brown belt, which takes like 10 years to get unless your a total suckup to the instructors or live on the mat non stop. Sambo kids in the old country learn knee bars the first day they step on the mat. Plus, there are stupid ass rules like no knee reaping. The list is of stupid ass rules only grows longer as more helicopter parents get involved. It will turn into tae-kwon-do in a few more years.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Why don't parents put their kids in judo, wrestling or football instead? This Cobra Kai/McDojo thing is gay.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
used to do muay thai and jiu jitsu for many many years. after numerous injuries realized i'd rather surf than roll with a bunch of sweaty smelly du's. all the guys i know who stuck it out have neck and back injuries. fk dat chit. that being said, if i was to train again it would be with eric paulson. better for self defense.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
BJJ has basically replaced Judo. Judo has it's own rule set problems, which is why it is dying a slow death. Wrestling is also dying a slow death because of crappy rules too. At the moment BJJ is the best option in my opinion with kick boxing mixed in. Just keep in mind with kick boxing you are basically signing up to be someone punching bag unless you have competitive career ambitions.