Any Other Martial Artists Out There?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This thread is weird. I would hesitate to give too much information out about your training. A long time ago I trained with a guy that went down south and got into a bar fight when some rube made some stupid comment to his girlfriend about wearing her like a pair of glasses. Rube broke a bottle and came at him. Rube initiated the violence. The broken bottle got turned around into rube's throat. They charged the guy I had trained with. They went through his house and dug out all the martial arts certificates, training weapons, the library of MA books, they had records of how long he had trained, they had video of him training. Long story shorter, they made him sound like a MA killer in court. A loose cannon who was just waiting for a chance to kill. He lured that poor southern boy into attacking him. Set it up. Anyway, he went to prison and disappeared. Don't know what happened to him. There are a number of lessons in there. I'll let you figure them out.

Yesterday I worked out in the garage. After I was done it felt like I'd smoked a carton of cigarettes. There is more smoke in that air than it appears if you start breathing heavy.
Yep. Karen the DA is going to try to prosecute anyone involved in social violence such as what goes on at bars and parties. Whoever wins the fight is going to remind Karen of all the Chads who pumped her and dumped her in college or who wouldn't give her the time of day. She studied hard and took the LSAT to get into a third tier lawschool and work sh1tlaw (prosecution) and is going to take it out on you.

I worked door security at a bar. I can assure you that the people who start fights in social settings are not worth your time. They're either rich entitled kids whom daddy always cleaned-up after or else these midgets that are so beaten down by everyone that they pick fights to lose to punish themselves for being who they are. Neither of these classes of people have any honor nor can they take what they dish-out.

If someone says something to your wife/girlfriend at a bar, just reply, "She's mine" and walk off with her. Then get the guy at the door to remove him because he's starting problems with paying customers.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
jiujitsu is good for one on one, but when you're rolling w/ some guy, his buddy could be kicking you in the head.

my oldest son is super flexible (and lefty). we put him in bjj when he was 6-7 for self defense. when he competed, he started to jump on kids, start a triangle choke while his opponent was still standing, and pull them down on top of him. worked on a padded mat, but that wouldn't work on the hard concrete or asphalt. we were taking him 4 days/week and his coaches wanted him there more b/c he was becoming the prodigal son. we realized that this wasn't our lifestyle, like it was theirs, and we pulled him.

I think jiu jitsu would be awesome for women to prevent getting raped.
Nelson (paraphrased) “the jiu jitsu is the best for the girls who no wanna get raped. Is the guy goin to stay standing and try and bang them? No he gonna get on top of her so she need to know heversals to be able to escape and run away”.

The jump to triangle is fine in a tournament where slams are illegal (they shouldn’t be, hook the leg or take the ride).

If BJJ made you invincible in a real fight Damien Maia would be undefeated UFC champ.

The whole BJJ/anything is life is weird to me

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Nelson (paraphrased) “the jiu jitsu is the best for the girls who no wanna get raped. Is the guy goin to stay standing and try and bang them? No he gonna get on top of her so she need to know heversals to be able to escape and run away”.

The jump to triangle is fine in a tournament where slams are illegal (they shouldn’t be, hook the leg or take the ride).

If BJJ made you invincible in a real fight Damien Maia would be undefeated UFC champ.

There's some advantages a level of BJJ skill will get you in a street fight...especially if it's against someone who is just swinging at you.....but there's a reason guys that came up grappling, freestyle wrestling and Sambo are dominating. Joint locks are all well and good against a compliant competitor...but what are you going to do when someone with an equal amount of training in body leverage that will not hesitate to stick his thumbs in your eyes or bounce your head off the concrete. High level freestyle wrestlers and grapplers are monsters when there are no rules.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There's some advantages a level of BJJ skill will get you in a street fight...especially if it's against someone who is just swinging at you.....but there's a reason guys that came up grappling, freestyle wrestling and Sambo are dominating. Joint locks are all well and good against a compliant competitor...but what are you going to do when someone with an equal amount of training in body leverage that will not hesitate to stick his thumbs in your eyes or bounce your head off the concrete. High level freestyle wrestlers and grapplers are monsters when there are no rules.
In street violence, should you fail to avoid it, the best thing is to stay on your feet because you're being assaulted usually by 2-3 guys, one of whom probably has a tool. This is where guys who are good at footwork are better, whether they're basketball players, boxers, wrestlers, judo players, etc.

If you end up on the ground the best thing you can hope to do is pull one of the guys down on top of you to use as a shield from the other guys kicking/bricking you.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Legit grapplers are gnarly for a bunch of reasons. If they were in an organized competitive environment they had to earn and fight to keep their spot on the team/in the club. Then there’s the fact that b/c of their unique training regimens they’re imo the best conditioned athletes period along with the work ethic that’s instilled.

I didn’t try out for but “looked into” wrestling freshman year HS b/c my best friend was on the team. The kid in my weight class wrecked me with a big smile on his face all like “you really think you could take my spot lol”. They’ve been doing it forever and can be mean when they want to be.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

You do realize everyone in the UFC trains BJJ and not just Maia?

Royce won 1 and 2 because he was the only one who knew BJJ.

That being said, boxing, wrestling, judo and Jiu jitsu all together makes you very difficult to deal with in a one on one fight with no weapons.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
This thread is weird. I would hesitate to give too much information out about your training. A long time ago I trained with a guy that went down south and got into a bar fight when some rube made some stupid comment to his girlfriend about wearing her like a pair of glasses. Rube broke a bottle and came at him. Rube initiated the violence. The broken bottle got turned around into rube's throat. They charged the guy I had trained with. They went through his house and dug out all the martial arts certificates, training weapons, the library of MA books, they had records of how long he had trained, they had video of him training. Long story shorter, they made him sound like a MA killer in court. A loose cannon who was just waiting for a chance to kill. He lured that poor southern boy into attacking him. Set it up. Anyway, he went to prison and disappeared. Don't know what happened to him. There are a number of lessons in there. I'll let you figure them out.

Yesterday I worked out in the garage. After I was done it felt like I'd smoked a carton of cigarettes. There is more smoke in that air than it appears if you start breathing heavy.
"a guy you trained with"?

So the legends are true and fecal was right all along.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Judo tournaments were a much faster pace than bjj. I’d be fuvking gassed after a five minute match but could breeze through the ten minute bjj matches.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Judo always seems underrated for self defense, those throws would be devastating on the street.

Reactions: Chocki

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Judo always seems underrated for self defense, those throws would be devastating on the street.
A very good self preservation technique is to be able to recognize a judoka’s stance (the hands give it away). When you’re about to scrap with a judoka just sit your ass on the ground or run away.

Reactions: the janitor