Sprinter Van Owners

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
When did you decide that public property was your private property? I counted 11 sprinter vans near the stairway to a break in Carlsbad taking up most of the public parking for families and other people who want to use the beach during the day. I realize you need space to figure your 20s out, so pay for it. Rent someone's driveway. Pay for a parking structure. I understand the views won't be as good for you to edit your YouTube videos and snicker at the parents hauling their kids up and down the bluffs. Too bad, that's life. Thanks to you abusing the privilege of public parking, I be we're going to see more local ordinances for everyone.

Kooks.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
let me guess: terriblemar?
Pretty much everywhere in coastal areas.

My favorites are the ones in the Encinitas area. Super hardcore, built to plunge deep into Baja for weeks, with big knobby tires and not a scratch or nick on the paint.

Pro tip: I don't know anyone who owns one that can actually afford it. I'm sensing future buying opportunities.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

My favorites are the ones in the Encinitas area. Super hardcore, built to plunge deep into Baja for weeks, with big knobby tires and not a scratch or nick on the paint.

Pro tip: I don't know anyone who owns one that can actually afford it. I'm sensing future buying opportunities.
Nailed it. I told my wife I'd buy her one used for pennies on the dollar when the current crop of sprinter van Millennials get tired of living in less than 100 square feet (IOW, a soft "no").

seems like it's better to rent than own, like the dinghy in my garage.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

this and the built out trd pro pavement princesses charging up and down ca-1 north. decked out with shiny new shovels high lift jacks winches rotopaks and rooftop tents. busting it get to their wine tasting before closing

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
Shits not changing! Entitlement is rampant along the coast in Southern California. It's a hard pill to swallow! I think about moving daily, but it's just a thought. I've grown to accept it and am happier. Same go's for surfing, it will never revert back to the 80s and 90s. Everyone (and thier kids) are doing it. It's bittersweet to say, Localism lost! Accept it now and live a happier life!

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
So many vehicles with these colored tanks mounted on the side..what do they keep in those things
Screenshot_20200913-184508_Brave.jpg

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So how was the surf?
Tide window was really windy with passing squalls, side-on howler, had about 10 minutes of just blocking the rain from blasting my eyes. Lucked into a set about shoulder with connectors that ran all the way across; four really nice bowly sections where you kind of roll into the sidewave, bottom turn as the wall stands up, gouge it, redirect, setup, roll-in, bottom turn...

High tide sandbars are just not what they need to be.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
So many vehicles with these colored tanks mounted on the side..what do they keep in those things
View attachment 97705
Fuel and water for offroading. The company that came out with these are making a fortune. Nearly every offroader I pass in the Sierras has one now, except me :D

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Ahh...essential for trips to trader joes
Seen these on a ton of vans too, and ATVs, Polaris', and motorcycles as well. Which I always wonder, how much 'offroading' you really doing in the van? But hey, maybe they go to Baja or Alaska where such items do come in quite handy.

The flat interlocking design of them is absolutely brilliant. They really thought things out before going to production and it has quickly become the new standard for travelers with a need to carry extra fuel and water.

Last edited:
Reactions: laidback

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Fuel and water for offroading. The company that came out with these are making a fortune. Nearly every offroader I pass in the Sierras has one now, except me :D

Aren't the black ones for shiit?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Aren't the black ones for shiit?
I suppose you could use 'em for that, but the black ones I've seen are for fuel or storage. The fuel ones are clearly labeled for safety reasons.

They have a ton of mounting options.