Satellite offices

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Someone tell me why anyone would order a board from a shaper's satellite (Pyzel in Oceanside, DHD in Costa Mesa eg.) when you can work with the main shapers in town (Marcio at Sharp Eye, Xanadu, Stamps, TP etc.)? Is marketing that effective or are surfers just dumb?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Because someone may want a model that the local brand/shaper isn't doing. Either they've demo'd, borrowed, felt up, or just think it'll work well for them. Marcio, Timmy and Xanadu are using machines. Do you think they're scrubbing every board going through their shop? Do you think the same Sharp Eye model that goes through The Glass lab in Australia has any less of Marcio's design intent as opposed to one that's made in SD? What about TP's through XTR?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Someone tell me why anyone would order a board from a shaper's satellite (Pyzel in Oceanside, DHD in Costa Mesa eg.) when you can work with the main shapers in town (Marcio at Sharp Eye, Xanadu, Stamps, TP etc.)? Is marketing that effective or are surfers just dumb?
I think you may be the dumb one.

Tim Stamps makes boards for Simon in the US. Do you think he forgets how to shape when he makes a Simon board?

Marcio doesn't finish every Sharp Eye etc etc.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
the files are the same, thats good enough for me
u can get the same thing jjf rides, made elsewhere, if that turns u on
I've heard the files are easily passed on to those in the know, easily duplicated at a fraction of the big label prices

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Because it’s the design that counts imo. And this is not to discount the work of the shapers you mentioned but I’d rather have a Maurice Cole made to his specs by robots and know it’s gonna work for me based off my understanding of his design philosophy and what I’m looking for in a board .

Tom Curren rode his boards for a reason(with CI logos on them lol).
JJF rides Pyzel for a reason.
All those pros have their Bonzers for a reason.
Etc

Last edited:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
File is probably the most important part for the average Joe, most wouldn't be able to tell the difference in where the sharp edge starts,as long as it's finned correctly.
rubbing grooves off isn't hard, I heard that there is a high definition cut option with shape3d that puts the finish cut very close to complete(but that could be bs)

Reactions: JDJ

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I've heard the files are easily passed on to those in the know, easily duplicated at a fraction of the big label prices
This is unfortunately true. I actually know who one of the main culprits is, as I was able to get a Medina DFK file in 2013 and pretty much could have gotten any of the main domestic players' files as well. In hindsight, it's lame any way you look at it and I wouldn't do it again. Johnny Cabianca didn't see €1 from me effectively riding one of his boards for over a year and that's wasn't cool. I ended up buying a Pukas/Cabianca in late 2014 that I keep at my EU office near Espinho, Portugal, which eased my conscience a little.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I have to say that the thought you have is valid to a point. If you can walk in and get Timmy, Marcio, whoever to design and shape you a custom board that is great and you should do it just for the experience alone.
What happens to most shapers that have a decent size biz is that they have one or more trusted and experienced backshapers (ghosts) working for them to help keep up with demand. If you do it right -and I hope that I have- you first have your design files dialed in as close to the desired finished board as you can so that all the main characteristics of the designs are already in the cut blank. Then you work very closely with your shapers to teach them how you want your boards to come out. The rocker and bottom contours are very difficult to screw up, but the biggest part of the boards that they are tuning in is the rail, so that is what we really focus on perfecting. In our Oceanside factory I have a "Master Shaper" who looks over any other backshapers' work and makes sure to keep them tuned in and on track to what I want. We don't hire just anyone to shape for us- my guys are all amazingly talented in their own right, and I am lucky to have them making our boards.
I regularly check out our boards at shops and in the factory to make sure they feel like my own shapes.
To make it clear how much I trust my crew (not just Oceanside, but around the world) I get them to make my own personal boards whenever I am traveling so that I am riding exactly what our customers are riding too.
As for our files being used by other shapers - We have our own shaping machines and keep things in-house to avoid that sort of thing, and I will only work with people that I trust anyway. I am sure someone has managed to get their hands on my files before, but I can't get all worked up and worried about a couple of boards here and there. We also can pass-lock our files so that they can't be used by people outside our groups.
Hope this sheds some light on the topic...

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
To make it clear how much I trust my crew (not just Oceanside, but around the world) I get them to make my own personal boards whenever I am traveling so that I am riding exactly what our customers are riding too.
But do they know its for you? Not disputing your employees skill and loyalty but they are going to go the extra miles for the Boss.

Always good to see your posts on here!

Reactions: urchined

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Interesting post. I remember seeing an interview with Mayhem where he talked about using OTR Lost boards so he knows what the customers are buying.

Reactions: Chocki and grg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I have to say that the thought you have is valid to a point. If you can walk in and get Timmy, Marcio, whoever to design and shape you a custom board that is great and you should do it just for the experience alone.
What happens to most shapers that have a decent size biz is that they have one or more trusted and experienced backshapers (ghosts) working for them to help keep up with demand. If you do it right -and I hope that I have- you first have your design files dialed in as close to the desired finished board as you can so that all the main characteristics of the designs are already in the cut blank. Then you work very closely with your shapers to teach them how you want your boards to come out. The rocker and bottom contours are very difficult to screw up, but the biggest part of the boards that they are tuning in is the rail, so that is what we really focus on perfecting. In our Oceanside factory I have a "Master Shaper" who looks over any other backshapers' work and makes sure to keep them tuned in and on track to what I want. We don't hire just anyone to shape for us- my guys are all amazingly talented in their own right, and I am lucky to have them making our boards.
I regularly check out our boards at shops and in the factory to make sure they feel like my own shapes.
As for our files being used by other shapers - We have our own shaping machines and keep things in-house to avoid that sort of thing, and I will only work with people that I trust anyway. I am sure someone has managed to get their hands on my files before, but I can't get all worked up and worried about a couple of boards here and there. We also can pass-lock our files so that they can't be used by people outside our groups.
Hope this sheds some light on the topic...
I’d have bet a bunch of money that rockers and contours would be the hard part. I understand how wings/foils work,etc but I don’t pretend to have a clue when it comes to surfboards

Respect

Last edited: