The October surprise will be a “vaccine”

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
can any of you suggest a good tequila that’s not a rip off?
im not sure my taste buds are developed enough to know the difference
and alcohol isn’t really my drug of choice anyway

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
can any of you suggest a good tequila that’s not a rip off?

Not as bad a rip off as Patron. Once rappers start talking something up, it's over.
Once you see it on the side of a truck or a billboard, it's over. You're paying their marketing budget.

Go to a "GOOD" liquor store and TALK TO THE SPIRITS BUYER. If you live in LA go to K & L Hollywood and ASK FOR THE SPIRITS BUYER. He knows more than anyone on the west coast about spirits. No joke.

My personal knowledge:

Siete Leguas - The Patron Family, sold the Patron label, still make the original deal under this label.
Cimarron
Fortaleza
Don Fulano
Any Tequila from NOM 1146
Any Tequila from NOM 1579

Tapatio. Trust me, the bottles are ugly but the Tequila is :shaka:. The son of the famed Camarena family. They also make Ocho and El Tesoro.

There's more.

Don't buy anything that is a label with a celebrity attached: E Cuarenta, Casamigos (though they sold, Clooney no longer owns it). They have nothing to do with the product and they charge you more. For example, Casamigos (George Clooney) was made by the distillery that makes Avion, which costs less. They sold and found a new distillery to make it, or bought one. Basically, nearly every distillery in Mexico making Tequila is like a MGP and whiskey. You want a private label? They'll make one for you.

Wine is where you really get ripped off./
Depends. California? You're being ripped off, FOR SURE. Or rather, you're paying someone's mortgage on the winery and their vacation home(s). Spain, France, Italy, Portugal. Best values in wine. Period. Wine is more complicated than spirits, which seems counterintuitive, but it's true. CRAFT BEER is where you REALLY get ripped off. $30 for a 750ml bottle of an industrial product that takes a week or 4 weeks to make. Good wine takes minimum 8 months to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My girl friend yells at me for buying expensive wine.

Then she drinks some and says, "oh this is nice."

Calzadores is what I drink when I am trying to be frugal.

I will try those other brands.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Once you see it on the side of a truck or a billboard, it's over. You're paying their marketing budget.

Go to a "GOOD" liquor store and TALK TO THE SPIRITS BUYER. If you live in LA go to K & L Hollywood and ASK FOR THE SPIRITS BUYER. He knows more than anyone on the west coast about spirits. No joke.
K&L is great.
And then there's the bourbon/scotch guy at Wades Wine in Westlake Village. Go to him for that stuff, and maybe tequila. He's an encyclopedia.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
K&L is great.
And then there's the bourbon/scotch guy at Wades Wine in Westlake Village. Go to him for that stuff, and maybe tequila. He's an encyclopedia.
Wades is good. Also Wally's, one in Santa Monica, one in Beverly Hills. Wine House in Culver City. Vendome in Toluca Lake or Studio City. Flask in Sherman Oaks, but watch your wallet there. They do mark-up a LOT.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Wades is good. Also Wally's, one in Santa Monica, one in Beverly Hills. Wine House in Culver City. Vendome in Toluca Lake or Studio City. Flask in Sherman Oaks, but watch your wallet there. They do mark-up a LOT.
Damn you're on it. Vendome in Toluca is a stone's throw from where I do xmas eve dinner, and I've bought gifts from Flask. They're a freaking rip off but they have some nearly impossible to find stuff for that premium (no thanks).

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Depends. California? You're being ripped off, FOR SURE. Or rather, you're paying someone's mortgage on the winery and their vacation home(s). Spain, France, Italy, Portugal. Best values in wine. Period. Wine is more complicated than spirits, which seems counterintuitive, but it's true. CRAFT BEER is where you REALLY get ripped off. $30 for a 750ml bottle of an industrial product that takes a week or 4 weeks to make. Good wine takes minimum 8 months to make.
Mostly agree. You will always get better value with Euro wines. California whites are fair priced, although when it comes to reds there are only a handful of labels where I don't have buyers remorse afterwards. Ridge and Beckmen never disappoint, as even their lower tier stuff is still a great value.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Wait, weed isn't legal there? :roflmao:

Dude, your move is getting crazier and crazier.

erBB poll time: Over/under on how long it takes ifallalot to fully complete his transition to this:

I go with 4 years.
They're like 5 years behind

It's legal for "medicinal' use. There's dispensaries all over

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
CA not looking so bad by comparison now, is it? You should do a Smokey and the Bandit reenactment, trucking cheap legal weed from CA to AZ.
Oh, CA is much, much worse in comparison.

But yeah, I'll drive the truck, you run interference

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
IF you like caffeine you'll love Ritalin!

Such a better speed.

Cocaine is even better!

I'm a lazy bum but you give me some ADD medicine and I can compete with the naturally high-industrious types.

They don't like it.

They are all CHEATER! :roflmao:
Way to ruin Coke, opioids!

:foreheadslap:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink