Hess Surfboards

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Well my attempt to order a Hess, was frustrating to say the least. I tried to order a Kunkel twin from him back in April, and was assured he was building boards through the pandemic, so I was given a 8 week wait time, and I put down my $200 deposit. I put down another $600 at the beginning of May, and went over the order again with him. Fast forward to July, he said the board was shaped and being glassed, last week I sent him an email explaining, that after 6 months I'd like a full refund of my $800, or my board? He responded by apologizing, and that it's been challenging over the last few months, and that he would send back my deposit, which he's only refunded $200 so far. Yeah, to say I'm a little pissed is to put it mildly, I started the process with the CC company to recover my remaining $600. The thing that really pisses me off, is he told me the board was shaped and being glassed, the first week of July, instead he just completely blew me off. Anyway I hope I recover my remaining $600, I just put another order in with Stretch for 2winfish, they know how to treat a customer.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Just got in touch with Danny about a custom Traveler gun. He invited me to his shop to talk boards and look at some of his personal guns for reference. He ended up encouraging me to borrow a couple of boards, paddle em around and surf em in summer slop. I couldn't fit more than one in my Prius, so I ended up taking his full wood 9'4 Traveler gun home. :p

Also handled a 8'0 Traveler gun that was lighter than my 6'0 Traveler. Felt insane.

Said he could have a EPS/ Wood Deck board built for me by September. Super nice guy with a personal approach to custom board building. Fingers crossed everything else goes as planned.

Last edited:

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Just got in touch with Danny about a custom Traveler gun. He invited me to his shop to talk boards and look at some of his personal guns for reference. He ended up encouraging me to borrow a couple of boards, paddle em around and surf em in summer slop. I couldn't fit more than one in my Prius, so I ended up taking his full wood 9'4 Traveler gun home. :p

Also handled a 8'0 Traveler gun that was lighter than my 6'0 Traveler. Felt insane.

Said he could have a EPS/ Wood Deck board built for me by September. Super nice guy with a personal approach to custom board building. Fingers crossed everything else goes as planned.
How much did he quote? Trying to sort out a board order for winter and have always been intrigued by his boards

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
View attachment 120851

The eagle has landed! 8'6, 21.25, 3? Traveler Gun. EPS with old growth redwood salvaged from an old water tower.

Going to grab her tomorrow.
is that the carbon rail style? I glassed a bunch of those while moonlighting at Stretch’s years ago and always thought they looked legit. Not to mention the woods were beautiful when wetted out.

classy looking board!

Reactions: bluengreen

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Shame to wax it. Think I'll just go with full deck pad in neon.
is that the carbon rail style? I glassed a bunch of those while moonlighting at Stretch’s years ago and always thought they looked legit. Not to mention the woods were beautiful when wetted out.

classy looking board!
Yes. EPS with wood deck and carbon rails. By far the most durable construction I've ever seen. I have a 6'0 Traveler in this construction that I've riding for two years. Not even a pressure on the deck.

Reactions: Maz and twinzerfan

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Shame to wax it. Think I'll just go with full deck pad in neon.

Yes. EPS with wood deck and carbon rails. By far the most durable construction I've ever seen. I have a 6'0 Traveler in this construction that I've riding for two years. Not even a pressure on the deck.
So sick! When did you order? I put mine in late July/August so I hope I'm next up in the queue haha

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
View attachment 120851

The eagle has landed! 8'6, 21.25, 3? Traveler Gun. EPS with old growth redwood salvaged from an old water tower.

Going to grab her tomorrow.
I wouldn't surf that one leashless at Lunada.

Does Danny mill his own veneers? Do you get to choose wha wood species you want?

What is the length and weight? Looks like the perfect board for head high Swamis, yeah?

Walking o the beach with that under your arm would be like having a perfect 10 fashion model on your arm. :bowdown:

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Between Hess and Drew, I have always liked the wood plus tech builds. seems like a perfect combo. Surprised how neutral the weight is on the Hess boards too.

Dan seems like a solid guy too.