Snorkeling spots

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Seems in any case when you surface you'd want to look up and aim for the light.

Does wearing a weight belt make treading water or cruising at the surface more of an effort?
I was diving for abalones in Mendocino, forgot my weight belt and didn't want to go hike back to my truck. First drop with a 5mm, I floated up super fast horizontally underneath a bunch of bull kelp. It was stupid. Years ago on a boat trip to SRI, I borrowed a belt loaded with way too much weight and ditched it after feeling like I was about to hyperventilate from trying to stay on the surface. That was also pretty dumb.

There are some online resources for how much weight to wear vs how much you weigh, and at what depth you'll be neutrally/negatively buoyant, something like the one below, but your dive shop will set you up, or you can do it in shallow water, adding one 3lb weight at a time. You probably want to float on the surface.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
there's so many empty stretches...between upper ind and lunada is empty...

getting in and out is a little dicey, but with water socks it would be easy

Laguna. Much fun snorkeling and jump off that rock also fun.
I want to know about the jump rocks...I fkn love jumping off things in to water

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018

Me to. youtube tablerock laguna

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

You'd like Liguria, in Italy. Everywhere I went there it was like, pick your height. I was always going feet first.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
we were looking at places around there...we didn't have the time to swing it though

that spot in laguna looks good...my kid would eat that up

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
anyone have any recs for SD county? we've got a few spots around my local stretch that my kids like, but any other recs would be appreciated.
la jolla cove. one of my best shore dives there: as soon as we dropped down in the kelp, we were circled by 6' soupfin sharks. a harbor seal followed us the entire dive (and played w/ our fins). lots of leopard sharks to see on the bottom during the summer.

Reactions: sushipop

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
la jolla cove. one of my best shore dives there: as soon as we dropped down in the kelp, we were circled by 6' soupfin sharks. a harbor seal followed us the entire dive (and played w/ our fins). lots of leopard sharks to see on the bottom during the summer.
swim from shores to cove....so much to see all through there...the caves are gold

shoots...you could go from shores clear around to marine street

we used to spend all day dorking around that zone

I miss jumping the clam

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep

Loved jumping off things as well. Couldn't have been more fortunate to be born in da 808! Get planny!

Jun 22, 2020
anyone have any recs for SD county? we've got a few spots around my local stretch that my kids like, but any other recs would be appreciated.
I did a lot of spearfishing in N. County.
Fun little intro dive (if there's very little swell) is Seaside Reef, Cardiff. Inside bowl has a couple rockpiles with lots of lobster and bold/curious Sheepshead. Outside bowl has some neat table top reefs with more of same, some aggressive Garibaldi too.
Slightly South and further out a good ways, Table Tops. Lot's of bedrock with pits and seams in it covered in grass. Both these spots are shallow. Further out past outside bowl at Seaside are some nice large table top reefs at about 20 feet to 40.
Swamis outside has some even better features at that depth, but inside where the wave breaks can be interesting. Water clarity is main issue in N. County.

But with La Jolla cove so close save your time, GREAT place for all levels.

Don't miss the opportunity to go night snorkeling on a red tide when it's really glowing. One of the most trippy things I've ever seen. So beautiful.

Edit: Both my parents graduated from San Dieguito HS in 60 and 61. I was told by them there was this older beach bum guy who would dive somewhere off George's and come back with Spanish coins now and then. Rumor?

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Diving is scary as fvck. I'll probably never do it here in California unless I'm with other people doing it and don't want to feel like a wuss. Not trying to get eaten.