Predictions for Return to Normalcy

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I agree with this, despite having no real qualifications to comment on the specifics as it pertains to the viability of a vaccine(s). Which this scenario depends on.

The vaccine(s) that is approved and accepted to be viable will become required for travel. It will be a sticker or book in your passport that lists the vaccine and date of vaccination, kind of like yellow fever, that ties into a database that customs and immigration agencies worldwide can access. It'll be another layer of big brother that will never go away.
Will the antimask idiots refuse to take the Vaccine?

Reactions: Havoc

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I'm starting to seriously consider GTFO of New York, and "retiring" to central florida east coast. I was approaching burn out after 13 years in my current career, and that was when i was making a boatload of money. I'll be making a canoe-load of money for the foreseeable future, so maybe now really IS the time to just cast off. Suburban homes are flying off the shelves right now, we could probably net out a couple hundo after paying off mortgage if we sold, and use that to buy a nice modest comfortable home in full, no mortgage, leaving maybe 500k in savings. Find other part time enjoyable non stressful income streams, my wife's yoga instruction etc, perhaps rental units etc, and just GTFO. or am i just crazy?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I'm starting to seriously consider GTFO of New York, and "retiring" to central florida east coast. I was approaching burn out after 13 years in my current career, and that was when i was making a boatload of money. I'll be making a canoe-load of money for the foreseeable future, so maybe now really IS the time to just cast off. Suburban homes are flying off the shelves right now, we could probably net out a couple hundo after paying off mortgage if we sold, and use that to buy a nice modest comfortable home in full, no mortgage, leaving maybe 500k in savings. Find other part time enjoyable non stressful income streams, my wife's yoga instruction etc, perhaps rental units etc, and just GTFO. or am i just crazy?
Florida? Why not Bahamas or someplace else in the Carib?

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
liked your Puerto Rico idea better

Reactions: test_article

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Am I wrong to be skeptical they will vaccinate billions of people with a fast tracked vaccine?

That seems incredibly risky.

I would be the first time in history.

Influenza jab was developed in 1938. First large scale vaccination was US military in the 1940s. No public use til 1945.

I would imagine they did it that way for a reason.

Reactions: mundus

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
early 2021 i hope/think. We've at least shown that even in a megalopolis like NY we can crush the numbers, and many (not all) businesses are at least operating at some level. Gyms are being put out of business with that particular extension, along with some other businesses like bars/restaurants, live theater etc. that stuff? no clue when that recovery happens
Look at it this way, when things start to normalize there will be plenty of exercise and restaurant/bar equipment available to survivors for pennies on the dollar and theater rentals should start off cheap.

Reactions: bubbs and Havoc

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I've been ready for this for the past 5 or so years.

The events of the Trump era have me asking myself why didn't I leave when I could've?

Might be too late now.
Reminder: you may not have voted for him but you publicly defended him for the past three years. It’s never too late to admit you were wrong. But we all know that will never happen.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I hope it goes back to normal soon, my little Nj beach town is as packed as it has ever been with some of worst behavior possible, Drama over masks, illegal parking, leaving trash everywhere, trespassing and general D bag behavior.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Met with the president of one of the larger coastal real estate company in Northern NJ a few weeks back and they can't get enough inventory due to all the people abandoning city life.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A lot of people are thinking the same thing. No point in busting yer ass if forces outside your control are going to scuttle your entire project.

FL and those places you can even get a cheap houseboat if you need to. There was a reason pirates loved that area so much in the 1500s.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Why the fook not? You will still have transferable skills that you can utilize wherever you go.

Reactions: CutnSnip

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
A lot of people are thinking the same thing. No point in busting yer ass if forces outside your control are going to scuttle your entire project.

FL and those places you can even get a cheap houseboat if you need to. There was a reason pirates loved that area so much in the 1500s.
You meant sailboat, right? :)

Reactions: potato-nator

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Reminder: you may not have voted for him but you publicly defended him for the past three years. It’s never too late to admit you were wrong. But we all know that will never happen.
I understand you think it's wrong to be a voice of sanity.

You do not understand people who think with reason in an era in which you think it's time to instead embrace slimy, underhanded inner inclinations for the cause.

You're Trump deranged; just like the Trumpists you are disconnected from reality. It's impossible for you to even attempt to view things from outside your bias. You are what you hate.

You're into bandwagons, feels, and have an "end justifies the means" approach to life.

We're polar opposites.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You meant sailboat, right? :)
Possibly. There's a million cheap boats down there. Burnt-out guys in NY decide they're going to sell everything and live on a sailboat. They make it to FL and decide the life is not for them and sell it.

But I heard you can also do houseboating on some of those inland waterways.

The West Coast is a lot more sketchy for that lifestyle: no inland waterway, cold water, ports are few and far between, the Mexican coast, etc.

Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Possibly. There's a million cheap boats down there. Burnt-out guys in NY decide they're going to sell everything and live on a sailboat. They make it to FL and decide the life is not for them and sell it.

But I heard you can also do houseboating on some of those inland waterways.

The West Coast is a lot more sketchy for that lifestyle: no inland waterway, cold water, ports are few and far between, the Mexican coast, etc.
That's my understanding as well. Although I've never sailed the gulf, my research had lead me to believe there are lots of places to drop a hook and hang out for free until your water runs out or a hurricane chases you into port to pay for a secure slip or a mooring. But the surfing sucks. Oh well. Can't have it all on my budget.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Things will get back to a new normal when we have both vaccine and treatment, maybe sometime next year. I'm optimistic.