A few ???s regarding the state of Washington

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
look around and take note of how many people some cigs in
their car with the windows rolled up in Seattle.

that always trips me out.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
lived there 74-89
beautiful place back then
still is
just way more crowded
get away from the city for the best NW experience
but the city has tons of distractions
from sports affairs in chinatown to pioneer square to lake union and the park above it to take it all in
deemed as one of the most over priced cities in the US because of all the transplant activities from the 90's on
pick strawberries or wild blackberries
eat scones, scallops, oysters and dungeness crab.
fried razor clams and chowder
too much traffic, yuppies and millenials wilding about
check out some of the local surfshops

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Seattle native however spent my wonder years on the eastside of oahu. I just remember when I moved back how gritty blue collar seattle was run by it seemily by the machinist union. now its all gone wiped out by the fortunes of tech industry if the sound and the mountains weren’t there seattle would be just be another non descript overpopulated, overpriced yuppie rat cage. the fortunate thing about the state is the sparsely populated coastal areas are pretty much left alone in its natural state. My take is that its great place for 9 months of the year but dec-feb time to go somewheres else

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
oneula said:
lived there 74-89
beautiful place back then
still is
just way more crowded
get away from the city for the best NW experience
but the city has tons of distractions
from sports affairs in chinatown to pioneer square to lake union and the park above it to take it all in
deemed as one of the most over priced cities in the US because of all the transplant activities from the 90's on
pick strawberries or wild blackberries
eat scones, scallops, oysters and dungeness crab.
fried razor clams and chowder
too much traffic, yuppies and millenials wilding about
check out some of the local surfshops

Did you ever get over to JR during that time period?

I was there from '75 to '87 more or less so we could have met.

Anyway,

Take care.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
casa_mugrienta said:
Wife and I are heading up for about 2 weeks in early August. Going to spend 5 or 6 days backpacking in the Cascades. Figure we'll spend the last 2 days in Seattle. We'll also have about 2.5 days in the middle to screw around doing stuff on the relaxing end of things. Not sure where.

So a few ?s for the trusted erBB knowledge basin:

- Recommendations for good seafood, anywhere in the state. Fish, crab, oysters.

- Anywhere we can pick up some squaw candy?

- Best island to ferry to?

- Any reason to drive out along the strait to the tip of the Olympic Peninsula?

- Other cool stuff you guys can recommend (not beer related)?
I'd be happy to row you in the Tyee Pool should you come to Vancouver Island via ferry.

It's just over a three hour drive from Victoria to here in Campbell River and there's lots else on the island to see and do but you'd be welcome in my rowboat anytime.

Take care.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
Great food all over, We really like to eat at Anthonys in Pt Defiance. It's a loud place that has great food. I always seem to end up there when I we are in the area. With kids we are always looking for stupid stuff to do so here are some of our favs. Pt Defiance area is cool but you guys will have already seen some really cool country so maybe not for you, This is where the zoo is and a nice drive through the pt park which has a fort (personally I would skip the fort tour) but the area is beautiful. If you end up there and want to eat an Anthonys go on low tide and go under the pier for a walk in the squirting clams! Its a blast, you take 3 steps and the clams squirt a blast of water like 5 ft into the air. You try and make it all the way without getting wet!

I would pick a Ferry route that interests you, a good longer one where you can chill with some coffee or hot chocolate and just go for the boat ride.

The fish ladders and bridges that are in the area are really cool to see. One that I remember really digging was one of the ones that goes to Lake Washington but I dont recall the details. There is a museum attached to it and there are locks that people kayak/ canoe through. One off my bucket list items is to paddle my OC-1 through those locks. Maybe there are tours that you can do where you can yak through the lock system. Pretty cool!

In the Seattle area proper, we do all the silly tourist stufff too like Pikes Market. There is a great magic store down in the bowels of the place and they have some good stuff. Make sure to buy a fake poop. Have the guy give you the box so you can pick out the right one! They have the best! You will get years of fun out of that! From there we walk a bit south and make our way down to the water and eat at Ivars on the wharf. It's just a greasy fish stick chain but its dang good and great chowder too, get something with fries so you can feed the birds. You order at a widow and eat inside an attached room. Outside there is a sign that says please feed the gulls and that is a spectacle! You can get some entertainment out of that. Also our kids love to go into Ye Olde Curiosity shoppe a couple doors down. It's pretty touristy but they still have cool stuff to look at from the old days.

If I think of anything else I will pop it in here. Have a great trip!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
In Seattle, there is a clown bar, Shorty's. I like playing pinball and having beer, so, if you do to....it was still there in the late 90s.

Perhaps worthy looking into, if you are into that sort of thing.

Creepy clown dive bar... In the best way possible.”
5 of 5 starsReviewed February 9, 2015 via mobile
Creepy clown dive bar... In the best way possible. We happened upon this place by accident and had so much fun that we came back the next day. Totally unique dive bar with creepy clowns everywhere and awesome pinball machines. Pretty good selection of beer. Interesting assortment of clientele. I'd suggest eating elsewhere before coming here, unless you're kinda brave and you're craving hotdogs. Next time I'm in Seattle, I'm going to save a day for pinball and beer at Shorty's.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
Oh Doof just made me remember! For pinball I like Ground Kontrol Arcade in....Portland! So here is a wild thing to suggest. My family loves to do this. How about taking the Amtrak Coastal Starlight from Seattle or Tacoma down to Portland and walking a couple blocks from the train station to the arcade! That train rocks with an observation car that has people on microphones providing history of what is going by the windows. It's 3 hours of comfort in the train and some adventure and 3 hours back! You could even walk to VooDoo donuts and back to the station. Have a sub par meal on the train just for the experience. Charge all your electronics as you travel since trains have plugs everywhere! Full on first class reclining seats for everyone...it's nuts. Maybe tough to squeeze in but it's such a unique experience, at least to us, that i had to chuck it in here.

Coastal Starlight

Ground Kontrol

• Love
Reactions: Boneroni

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
last time we were up we got on ShiverMeTimber's boat and had a gas of a day

late summer is the best...they get that indian summer

we may go up in August and are going up near Bellingham to the Taylor Shellfish farm
to grind down on oysters.

river float on the sammamish river....there's a crazy train trestle you can jump off in
to the river above where the float outfit puts you in. it was HAIRY, but my little brother
was sending it so I had to nut up

salmon la sac is a great spot for a day trip....killer swimming hole and jumping spot
with a fun scene

it's nice to visit during fair months, but the seasonal affect will make you fat, sad, and
pale eventually

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Always loved the san juans and olympic national forest

you can always identify the lost hawaiian in the crowd
like jo koy said "slipah"

early 70's UW quad
ksbe intermediate school hui shirt
finally able to grow my hair long after being asked to leave Navy ROTC for wanting to be an Oceanographer and not an engineering or business major. Like they told me, son, we hire civilians to do that sht.

70's Summer School-2.jpg

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
it'll seem great until you get one of those years where it rains for 9-10 months of the year and people get the no sun gloom doom. Been through many of those cold and dreary drizzly years as well as major snow storms where the whole city of seattle has to shut down due to the lack of snow plows. Plus the whole place is just waiting to sink into into puget sound with a big enough and long enough shake.

just saying what it was like
not trying to be a debbie downer for you'all
places like this are always nice to visit
harder to live at

just like country, I was lucky enough to enjoy the place before the crowds came.
been back about a half dozen times since 89' to see friends and family
it makes me sad and angry just like when i drive to the north shore on oahu.