Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
If you want to try that construction out I say go for it

If you want a MORE durable eps epoxy and still have Tim build it in-house then you could ask for so e 6oz S cloth
6 s + 4s deck
6 s bottom
Board will see you into your senior years

If you think your Eps banjo is lacking in the durability department I recommend asking Tim for some ideas to make the GX stronger ... He has tried just about everything and is always ready to try something new

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My EPS Banjo is 4x4+4x4oz.

I've dinked it a couple times but otherwise it's holding up well.

If you can get 5 years out of a PU I'd just stick with that TBH.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Those are great suggestions. My banjo is doing pretty well but I''m a little surprised at the golfballing on the deck compared to what you guys have said. I am definitely curious about the future flex but I've been really impressed with Tim's in shop glassing. Is S cloth noticeably more stiff?

As far as the GX, I think it has 6 oz on the deck at least. It was for Tim's friend who is a bigger dude than I and there is some noticeable heft to the board. The deck is in the same shape as my 4 oz spearfish which is ~1.5 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I have a Gx in FutureFlex that I really like. I don’t think the up charge was close to $180 but it depends on what PureGlass is charging and passing along. So I would just ask Tim. Wait was long....

Reactions: retodd and jkb

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I ended up going 4+6/4 e. The dims are a slightly slimmed down version of the GX I bought used. Old one is 5'10" x 20" x 2.63" and had great low end but could be a bit boaty and took some effort to keep on rail. The new one is 5'10" x 19.75" x 2.63" with more slightly more refined rails. I'm 6' x 190 or so. The last one was total magic for me from day one, I still remember how epic it was my first surf, so I didn't want to stray too far.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Oh, not to worry, I'm feeling very comfortable. I basically told Tim the magic boards dims and file number, and what I wanted to feel different and let him make all the suggestions from there. I should not be allowed too much power in the design process. haha

Jul 21, 2015
someone talk me out of picking up a second hand Flare. Lookf promising for a South OC shred stick based on what I read on this thread. I ride a puddle jumper and an SS2 SWS also an SD2 when the waves are good. Looking to try to some of the stamps magic. Thoughts opinions talk me off the ledge or push me off

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
someone talk me out of picking up a second hand Flare. Lookf promising for a South OC shred stick based on what I read on this thread. I ride a puddle jumper and an SS2 SWS also an SD2 when the waves are good. Looking to try to some of the stamps magic. Thoughts opinions talk me off the ledge or push me off
if you're looking for someone to talk you out of buying a surfboard, you've come to the wrong place my dude. Flare is pretty universally loved 'round these parts. If dims are good, do it.