So it’s official. ‘Public health officials’ need to be ignored....

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
guidance changed so that makes the original guidance void?

is that the point of this dirty diaper thread?

the fact that we know more about contagiousness and lethality compounded
by the perceived need to physically support the emergent social movement
has nothing to do with it....we're just going to dismiss everything out of hand?

I mean, if we're (you're) so sure the protests are potentiated by the shelter in place
orders and number of people unemployed...why can't the inverse be true - that the
guidance from the medical community is tempered by the need to give people a
sense that they can express themselves politically while also maintaining some
semblance of safety?

all the calls to protest include requests to wear masks and stay home if you are
symptomatic or in an at risk demo.
this was already known weeks ago

but at least it was a catalyst to update the restrictions

Reactions: Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
this was already known weeks ago

but at least it was a catalyst to update the restrictions
fair point, but are restrictions formally being changed, though?

I'm fine if my waitress doesn't have to wear a mask...I may prefer it.

that may be foolish of me...

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Do you think the threat of the virus now and the level of uncertainty is the same as it was 8 weeks ago?

Could that influence their decision making?

Does the opinion of these handfull of people justify a generalization about people who called for social distancing?

But yeah, they seem like hypocrites to me too.

I cringe when I see all those people protesting and hope the virus doesn't make a kick ass rebound.
I think it’s way past time to have a full and complete opening of businesses nationwide allowing them operate just as they did pre-house arrest.

If each individual establishment want to enact their own protocols (masks, limited numbers, etc.) then that is their choice.

It amazes me, and I thought I’ve seen everything, that the same people who less than 3 weeks ago threatened to arrest people (and in some cases did) for opening their businesses to feed their families spent last weekend looking the other way or outright supporting the looting and destruction of the very same businesses they forced to close.

It’s sickening really.

And they are still restricting businesses. Gyms are still in forced closure in CA. Open a gym today and you will get arrested. Loot a gym and burn it to the ground right in front of police and nothing will happen to you.

madness.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I think it’s way past time to have a full and complete opening of businesses nationwide allowing them operate just as they did pre-house arrest.

If each individual establishment want to enact their own protocols (masks, limited numbers, etc.) then that is their choice.

It amazes me, and I thought I’ve seen everything, that the same people who less than 3 weeks ago threatened to arrest people (and in some cases did) for opening their businesses to feed their families spent last weekend looking the other way or outright supporting the looting and destruction of the very same businesses they forced to close.

It’s sickening really.

And they are still restricting businesses. Gyms are still in forced closure in CA. Open a gym today and you will get arrested. Loot a gym and burn it to the ground right in front of police and nothing will happen to you.

madness.
Before doing that, maybe they should have a plan for what to do when covid positive old people need to be discharged from hospitals in order to make food for more patients. Even if they don’t end up in that situation, it would be irresponsible to end up in a situation where those old people have nowhere to go
It can happen, so I hope there’s a plan

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
fair point, but are restrictions formally being changed, though?

I'm fine if my waitress doesn't have to wear a mask...I may prefer it.

that may be foolish of me...

Depends how hot she is.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
It's weird is the different conclusions to the social distancing.

Depending on your bias, it was an over reaction to a non threat or the variable that thwarted the threat.

I don't know who is right.
Maybe the same people who dreamed up the “Bill Gates is using vaccines to microchip teh worldz don’t wear masks or take vaccines!” movement are also behind the current protests. They knew they could get SJW’s to break with lockdown orders if they had a chance for mass public virtue signaling?

My fellow “Russia Russia” conspirators have in fact been “Russia Russia'd”.

Off for another layer of tinfoil on my hat. Does anyone else hear helicopters?

• Love

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Before doing that, maybe they should have a plan for what to do when covid positive old people need to be discharged from hospitals in order to make food for more patients. Even if they don’t end up in that situation, it would be irresponsible to end up in a situation where those old people have nowhere to go
It can happen, so I hope there’s a plan
Hospitals are by and large practically empty all across the nation.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Maybe the same people who dreamed up the “Bill Gates is using vaccines to microchip teh worldz don’t wear masks or take vaccines!” movement are also behind the current protests. They knew they could get SJW’s to break with lockdown orders if they had a chance for mass public virtue signaling?

My fellow “Russia Russia” conspirators have in fact been “Russia Russia'd”.

Off for another layer of tinfoil on my hat. Does anyone else hear helicopters?
Wow. A conspiracy theory that makes fun of conspiracy theorists.

you win.

• Love
Reactions: Phi1

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Yeah, but in case there’s an increase, you know, the whole flatten the curve thing
If it happened in NY and the outlying suburbs, there should be a plan in case it happens other places
I’ve posted this before, but I don’t expect anyone to remember. My wife is a discharge planner at a hospital that needed to turn over beds because they were at capacity, and that included trying to find somewhere to discharge covid patients to. And my son works in a nursing home dealing with admissions and the requirements not to turn down patients due to being covid positive
It led to some heated dinner conversation, by both trying to do their jobs with compassion while Living within the reality of the situation and the regulations in place at the time

Not planning for that scenario, knowing that it’s happened before, while opening up, seems negligent

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Here's the Result of Sweden testing the theory that remaining open would give Swedes "herd immunity':

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-cases-per-million-three-day-avg?tab=chart&country=ITA~KOR~ESP~SWE~GBR~USA

"But squidley, Sweden probably just ramped up testing, and that's why the statistics increased."

Wrong.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-cumulative-total-tests-per-thousand?country=CAN~DNK~IND~IDN~ITA~NZL~ZAF~KOR~SWE~USA

I wish there were more hospitalization numbers being reported
Deaths lead to “they were going to die anyway” tangents
Positive tests are interesting but doesn’t take into account who’s getting tested and why
Hospitalization seems important especially if we’re trying to flatten that fvcking curve

Reactions: Duffy LaCoronilla

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Wow. A conspiracy theory that makes fun of conspiracy theorists.

you win.
I’ll throw another log on the conspiracy pile...

BLM has historically protested police brutality by taking a knee and a man was just killed under a cop’s knee who’se name is synonymous with “chauvinism” aka extreme patriotism.

Does Amazon same day tinfoil? We’re asking for a friend.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento and afoaf

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017

It’s sickening really.

madness.
I generally agree but i want to keep working from home so let’s not let this whole thing go too quickly

• Love
Reactions: afoaf and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I’ll throw another log on the conspiracy pile...

BLM has historically protested police brutality by taking a knee and a man was just killed under a cop’s knee who’se name is synonymous with “chauvinism” aka extreme patriotism.

Does Amazon same day tinfoil? We’re asking for a friend.
First Rudy Gobert single-handedly cancelling the NBA and subsequently all sports by fondling microphones and now this Chauvin guy Making America Burn Again.

Two Frenchmen advancing instead of retreating and this is what we get.

I hope this doesn't come in threes.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I just saw pics of a gym in rural New Hampshire that was set up as a makeshift hospital

they never had a single patient

lts great we prepared for the worst case scenario but it didn’t happen

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Here's the Result of Sweden testing the theory that remaining open would give Swedes "herd immunity':

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-cases-per-million-three-day-avg?tab=chart&country=ITA~KOR~ESP~SWE~GBR~USA

"But squidley, Sweden probably just ramped up testing, and that's why the statistics increased."

Wrong.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-cumulative-total-tests-per-thousand?country=CAN~DNK~IND~IDN~ITA~NZL~ZAF~KOR~SWE~USA

That data is at odds with Sweden's own case/day data. They can't both be right. I think two days were combined then averaged. There's something wrong with the calculation:

1591395914247.png