Matt Biolos sounds like a Whiney bitch

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Following his instagram it seemed like at first it was covid = just like the flu. Then it was we are shutting down production to protect everyone #america #patriot. He complained about how pissed he was that Mammoth closing, boo hoo. Then he wanted trestles closed to non-locals, for everyone's safety I'm sure. Now it's a dem hoax or something? I can't keep up.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
He's always been a moody guy.

He's always been pretty biased to his own interests.

Recently I had to unfollow. I'm not super hyped on hearing him complain and spot off about fascism and tyranny from his lovely neighborhood in San Clemente in between his trips to go snowboarding. No, your business is not essential. Yes you should be able to go back to work. You will be fine.
This.

He's just another baby tantrum thrower who likes to indulge in libertarian fantasies and doesn't like rules or has respect for people he shares this society with, many of whom are his customers.

Reactions: live4swell
May 10, 2018
Following his instagram it seemed like at first it was covid = just like the flu. Then it was we are shutting down production to protect everyone #america #patriot. He complained about how pissed he was that Mammoth closing, boo hoo. Then he wanted trestles closed to non-locals, for everyone's safety I'm sure. Now it's a dem hoax or something? I can't keep up.
He often whinges about Kolohe not getting scores. Maybe that will become the government / covid-19's fault too?

He whinges a lot.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Nailed it. It might be my perception, but it seems like boards got more expensive when Grubby Clark closed-up citing a bunch of regulatory harassment and high cost of doing business in CA. Lots of fools said Clark was whiny, that he "wanted to go out on a soapbox," that they didn't like him for this or that reason. Seems to me that guys like Clark and Biolos know what they're talking about since they have skin in the game and have and are the men in the arena.

What would it be like if guys like Biolos went out of business? Would boards get more expensive? Would newbies be able to step-up in this astronomically-expensive state? Would we have to ride Chinese pop-outs?

This is asinine.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Nailed it. It might be my perception, but it seems like boards got more expensive when Grubby Clark closed-up citing a bunch of regulatory harassment and high cost of doing business in CA. Lots of fools said Clark was whiny, that he "wanted to go out on a soapbox," that they didn't like him for this or that reason. Seems to me that guys like Clark and Biolos know what they're talking about since they have skin in the game and have and are the men in the arena.
Clark was a manufacturer of toxic materials in Laguna Niguel. As the neighborhood become more and more affluent and more OC trackhomers moved into his backyard, his business felt increased pressure. He could have tried to update his facility, he could have moved it, and he could have sold off equipment to other businesses willing to take on the costs. He didn't. California has high environmental standards compared to other states/countries which is why some of your favorite boards have been from blanks blown in Mexico, then trucked in to California.

None of that has to do with why he was a dick, necessarily. People had conflict with Grubby before he went out of business. His soapbox was established long before his departure and he was not fun to work with by many accounts from people that had to. Others got along with him fine. You can be a dick and good at business. It can be quite beneficial. YOu can even be a dick sometimes, and really nice other times.

What would it be like if guys like Biolos went out of business? Would boards get more expensive? Would newbies be able to step-up in this astronomically-expensive state? Would we have to ride Chinese pop-outs?
Biolos is not a supplier for other brands. His company does not impact how I get boards from my shapers. He doesn't drive costs down. I could name 10 "newbies" that have become good shapers in the last 10 years.

Would Lost going under cost some jobs? Yeah, definitely. Lost being "successful" has cost some people some jobs, although I've heard they've gotten better at paying their glass shops more recently, but many of them were dedicating their time and energy into satisfying their orders, then not getting paid on time. CI has pulled it before too.

Also, it's funny how his models that he was bringing from Vietnam have been scrubbed from the history books.

Matt "knows surfboards". Matt "knows surfboard design and software". Matt doesn't know sh!t about communicable viruses, fascism, or being oppressed. He has a struggling business. That sucks, but get in line, homie.

But yeah. Bow to your Martyrs.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'll never buy a mayhem cause he's supported (and encouraged) Ward in the past, but if I was in his shoes I would flow Ward a couple boards a year. He wouldn't be on the team and wouldn't get a paycheck or customs, but I would at least flow him a few boards - the guy built your brand and moved A LOT of boards for you, that has to mean something.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
this is all the breakdown I needed.

thank you, sir.

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
Matt "knows surfboards". Matt "knows surfboard design and software". Matt doesn't know sh!t about communicable viruses, fascism, or being oppressed. He has a struggling business. That sucks, but get in line, homie.
I’ll tell you one thing he doesn’t know; that cubic liters don’t exist. Does anyone know if he’s still writing “cL” next to his volume numbers? I emailed him about this 7 or 8 years ago because I’m a nerd and it bugged me. I remember checking 3-4 years later and he was still calling them cubic liters.

Anyways, some of my best boards I’ve ever owned have been Losts. Props, my “unit” ignorant dude.

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
I’ll tell you one thing he doesn’t know; that cubic liters don’t exist. Does anyone know if he’s still writing “cL” next to his volume numbers? I emailed him about this 7 or 8 years ago because I’m a nerd and it bugged me. I remember checking 3-4 years later and he was still calling them cubic liters.

Anyways, some of my best boards I’ve ever owned have been Losts. Props, my “unit” ignorant dude.
Update: searched google to make sure I wasn’t imagining things, because he did update his website. Except for...

More about GF (Guild Factor)

GF measures the ratio between the surfers body weight and the volume (in Cubic Liters) of a surfboard. The GF number is...”

He missed one ;)

Honestly, don’t really care though. His boards are sick. And I’m glad to see he has finally moved past cubic liters. I wonder who convinced him.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Clark was a manufacturer of toxic materials in Laguna Niguel. As the neighborhood become more and more affluent and more OC trackhomers moved into his backyard, his business felt increased pressure. He could have tried to update his facility, he could have moved it, and he could have sold off equipment to other businesses willing to take on the costs. He didn't. California has high environmental standards compared to other states/countries which is why some of your favorite boards have been from blanks blown in Mexico, then trucked in to California.
You sound like you understand his finances and whether he could've afforded all this. How do you know this? Are you in a similar business? Has anyone else done this in the United States and succeeded, or has all the pollution just been moved to Mexico where the blanks are now made?

None of that has to do with why he was a dick, necessarily. People had conflict with Grubby before he went out of business. His soapbox was established long before his departure and he was not fun to work with by many accounts from people that had to. Others got along with him fine. You can be a dick and good at business. It can be quite beneficial. YOu can even be a dick sometimes, and really nice other times.
You worked with him, or is this hearsay?

Biolos is not a supplier for other brands. His company does not impact how I get boards from my shapers. He doesn't drive costs down. I could name 10 "newbies" that have become good shapers in the last 10 years.
Do you own a surf shop and buy a lot of boards from different shapers? I said, "guys like Biolos" meaning, "Shapers with a significant brand who supply a lot of boards to various shops and surfers." If the supply shrinks, the price goes up. You sound like you know more so educate me.

But yeah. Bow to your Martyrs.
Who's bowing to anyone? I made a pretty simple statement that I've heard from many business owners who are now permanently laying people off in a time when the state's unemployment rate is around 20%. Is your business suffering?

Reactions: Ifallalot

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
His boards are pretty easy to ride and the stock dims are generous. His willingness to work with any tech is another plus. He is opinionated, no doubt.

When Grubby Clark closed, the erBB said Clarked for like four months instead of farked. That might have even pre-dated stock. I'm pretty sure Curren meant God at that time but can't speak to techno's place along its sexual evolution at that time as recognized by the erBB.

It sounded like it caused a supply headache and a half, and now, it seems like a tech blessing. I can tell you Matt Biolos probably turned a dollar or two in the time between Clark and the financial snafu ended and Covid-19 started making surfboards in Orange County (and elsewhere).