Watch out! Cyclist coming through

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
aluminum frame with carbon forks vs full carbon

I want to ride a fkn dirt bike so bad. we used to whomp around on 3 wheelers as a kid

I should get a motorcycle license

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
aluminum frame with carbon forks vs full carbon

I want to ride a fkn dirt bike so bad. we used to whomp around on 3 wheelers as a kid

I should get a motorcycle license
I have the ALR5...

B1098118-7111-4C44-8E30-BC1C35FF86DA.jpeg

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
There is a Trek shop a block away from my shop. It would be super convenient. I was kind of interested in the isospeed frame decoupler on a hard tail cross country bike with 29" wheels.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Aruka and afoaf

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
would you buy it again?

what else were you considering?
It depends what you're looking for. When I bought this bike I was primarily looking for a commuter/road bike that I could take off the beaten path. At the time I had a 10 mile commute with a bunch of gravel and fire road options along the way. I already had a hard tail mountain bike and wasn't looking to break the bank.

I have to say I've been very happy with it for what I'm looking for. It's all stock aside for the wheels&tires, saddle, seat post and pedals. It's got adjustable chain stays so you can change the ride from a longer wheelbase for touring/distance or make it a lil livelier by shortening them. The 105 drivetrain is heavy but it works. One day I'll probably upgrade to GRX

If you have a quiver and are looking for a more trail worthy gravel/adventure bike I think you can do better. But if you're looking for something that will spend 80% of the time on pavement but can handle getting off the beaten path without breaking the bank then I'd recommend this bike. Other bikes I looked at were the Kona Rove NRB DL which seems more skewed toward trail than road.

Reactions: Aruka

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
honestly, it's all for road riding. I don't really have trails or gravel
around here that I'm aware of.

I think my guy at the shop is recommending a graveler because
I'm hammering my current bike and I've been waffling on getting
something geared.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
honestly, it's all for road riding. I don't really have trails or gravel
around here that I'm aware of.

I think my guy at the shop is recommending a graveler because
I'm hammering my current bike and I've been waffling on getting
something geared.
Canyon Endurace all day.

Has room for 35c tires if you get a gravel itch but it's a rocket on the road with slicks.

There's Canyon store in Carlsbad, they'll fit you and you can test ride.

Love that bike.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
this looks hot and is in price point

what's an "endurance" bike vs. graveler?

is that Canyon comparable to the Checkpoint or the Boone in Trek?

my local guy is Trek and I prefer to do business with him....where does Canyon manufacture?

it seems like cyclo-cross geometry may be better for my riding style than gravel

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
this looks hot and is in price point

what's an "endurance" bike vs. graveler?

is that Canyon comparable to the Checkpoint or the Boone in Trek?

'Endurance' genre is basically a road bike but with a little more relaxed geometry. It has a shorter reach, which helps you sit a bit more upright than a racy lancer bike.

They also have more tire clearance so you can run higher volume slicks or CX tires.

A lot of people run them as cyclocross bikes, my compadre Miki Vučković for example.

http://instagr.am/p/B84f_iCFkvW/
Canyon is really amazing value for money, since they do online only they can afford to give you better components. They do have stores though, where you can touch and try the bikes. Unless you want to buy American only, Canyon wins on value and ride.

And to answer you question: steel and carbon!

Ritchey Outback :love:

1589749014115.jpeg

Reactions: Aruka

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
'Endurance' genre is basically a road bike but with a little more relaxed geometry. It has a shorter reach, which helps you sit a bit more upright than a racy lancer bike.

They also have more tire clearance so you can run higher volume slicks or CX tires.

A lot of people run them as cyclocross bikes, my compadre Miki Vučković for example.

http://instagr.am/p/B84f_iCFkvW/
Canyon is really amazing value for money, since they do online only they can afford to give you better components. They do have stores though, where you can touch and try the bikes. Unless you want to buy American only, Canyon wins on value and ride.

And to answer you question: steel and carbon!

Ritchey Outback :love:

View attachment 91143

I bet he can squat more than Doug. And has higher T-levels to boot.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Seems kind of lame to buy a Canyon and have my shop service it, no? Like... If he's a Trek dealer it seems more legit to stay on brand...or am I overthinking it?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Seems kind of lame to buy a Canyon and have my shop service it, no? Like... If he's a Trek dealer it seems more legit to stay on brand...or am I overthinking it?
I can't talk sh!t about Trek, I've never ridden one so I don't know about the ride but like cars, taking your bike to the dealer for service is probably not a good necessary and it's more expensive. Unless you have a problem with the frame, which is unlikely. All brands source components from either Shimano or SRAM so it's not really dealer specific.

You will literally not have to do anything to it other than wash and lube occasionally, especially with road bikes.

If you go with something like Shimano Ultegra gruppo, you will never have to touch it.

But yeah, I was hiding my Canyons from my grouchy LBS guy, though that's probably more me than him. :p
Miki goes to the same guy and the grouch made peace with it.

I was hesitant as it's a German designed bike and online only but the value is amazing and both Canyons I have are my favorite bikes.

I'd take both Trek and Canyon out for a test ride, I think it will immediately become apparent what you like better.

Personally, I'd rather go with the cheapest carbon frame option rather than aluminium.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I have a steel cross bike that is basically set up as a road bike with Specialized Roubaix 32's. I ride a bunch of dirt roads and it's killer. Keep toying with the idea of a carbon bike but I don't know. Wish I could afford a custom steel. Not interested in aluminum at all.

20190316_121058.jpg20180201_064853.jpg

Reactions: plasticbertrand