Are you grabbing takeout or only eating at home?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
We’ve been supporting our favorite restaurants by grabbing takeout a couple times a week. All of our places seem to know us now even more than they did before. Are a lot of people only eating at home and are we outliers?

or is it just my smiling face?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Sweet chili panko pork. Garlic mash. Salad with basil vinaigrette, strawberries and crushed pistachios. The Blaufrankisch is A+. Nahe Riesling. 20200508_181030.jpg

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Our county has been pretty strict. Both of my nephews were in the food service business working with really good, established restaurants. California Grill in Watsonville, Aptos BBQ in Aptos. Both got laid off. Don't hear much of anything about curbside service around here being allowed until Gavin just kicked in Phase 2.

The plus side is we only have 140 cases compared to 2000+ in surrounding counties.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
my cooking skills are definitely on point now. I don't plan meals anymore, just buy staple ingredients and have the ability to cook what we want.

When we go out, we pick one of the local mom and pop places for takeout. Well, except for chik filet cause the kids love that chit

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Cooking mostly at home and ordering delivery once a week or so.

Pretty much business as usual.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I treat my team to take out lunch about twice a week
about $200-$300 a week for 10+ people twice a week. (used to be my new board stash cash)
sometimes my boss or one of the senior management committee picks up a meal.
sometimes we buy lunch for all the other people working on our floor
Its to thank them for coming in since inception and working insanely hard compared the rest of the 80% working from home "non-essential" employees.
you're only as good as the people who support you especially when they are risking covid exposure with each and everyday

We try and always pick a new restaurant to support, a customer preferably but sometimes there just aren't enough customers still open. Today it was Tanioka's bento's for 50.
Been thinking of maybe just setting up some weekly standing orders to rotate through which would be better for the restaurants so they could count on regular business but we'll see. Our cafe is still doing their thing so we need to support them as well.

We tried to do the same on weekends but it seems like allot of people where I live don't know how to cook so it's been packed trying to pick up your meal and you have to wait which usually never happens even when the restaurant is full. Most people sit in their cars or wait outside until people come out with their orders. I don't see the same consideration in Longs or other stores. Maybe cause its food. I haven't stepped into a safeway or foodland since the lockdown just seems crazy out there.

Thinking of subscribing to KauKau Box or one of these new high-end chef made food home delivery options that are popping up. But it seems a little expensive at $150 a meal. At home spam/vienna sausage or can tuna/salmon and rice with a salad or fruits is just fine. I could eat sashimi and rice or daikon everyday if allowed. Miss my ahi/limu poke, pipikaula and poi. Haven't had that since way before covid.
Maybe we need to hit Highway Inn for lunch soon love their pipikaula.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Our county has been pretty strict. Both of my nephews were in the food service business working with really good, established restaurants. California Grill in Watsonville, Aptos BBQ in Aptos. Both got laid off. Don't hear much of anything about curbside service around here being allowed until Gavin just kicked in Phase 2.

The plus side is we only have 140 cases compared to 2000+ in surrounding counties.
I miss Aptos BBQ

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I treat my team to take out lunch about twice a week
about $200-$300 a week for 10+ people twice a week. (used to be my new board stash cash)
sometimes my boss or one of the senior management committee picks up a meal.
sometimes we buy lunch for all the other people working on our floor
Its to thank them for coming in since inception and working insanely hard compared the rest of the 80% working from home "non-essential" employees.
you're only as good as the people who support you especially when they are risking covid exposure with each and everyday

We try and always pick a new restaurant to support, a customer preferably but sometimes there just aren't enough customers still open. Today it was Tanioka's bento's for 50.
Been thinking of maybe just setting up some weekly standing orders to rotate through which would be better for the restaurants so they could count on regular business but we'll see. Our cafe is still doing their thing so we need to support them as well.

We tried to do the same on weekends but it seems like allot of people where I live don't know how to cook so it's been packed trying to pick up your meal and you have to wait which usually never happens even when the restaurant is full. Most people sit in their cars or wait outside until people come out with their orders. I don't see the same consideration in Longs or other stores. Maybe cause its food. I haven't stepped into a safeway or foodland since the lockdown just seems crazy out there.

Thinking of subscribing to KauKau Box or one of these new high-end chef made food home delivery options that are popping up. But it seems a little expensive at $150 a meal. At home spam/vienna sausage or can tuna/salmon and rice with a salad or fruits is just fine. I could eat sashimi and rice or daikon everyday if allowed. Miss my ahi/limu poke, pipikaula and poi. Haven't had that since way before covid.
Maybe we need to hit Highway Inn for lunch soon love their pipikaula.
I do payroll. I may work from home now, all of our office works from home now, but without me, nobody gets paid. Pretty fvcking essential. You can work your ass off in a Covid environment but if you don't have a paycheck at the end of the day...

Essential has many shapes and forms.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Both. I am supporting the restaurants I sell wine to, somewhat for selfish reasons, obviously. We get takeout once a week, twice max, and cook the rest of the time, but usually enough for leftovers for a day or two. Many sauces are better the next day anyway. Three of the restaurants we sell wine to in LA have permanently closed, two were James Beard award nominees this year.

Upscale casual fine dining is DONE.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'd say 70% cooking at home and 30% getting take out.
Trying to support all my favorite places and friends restaurants.
The busiest takeout seems to be the plant based cafe.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I've only prepared food at home for the last 7 weeks with one exception.

I go once a week to Beach Pit BBQ for a half rack of ribs. I can feed on that for two days and it seems pretty safe and it's really good too.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
s
I do payroll. I may work from home now, all of our office works from home now, but without me, nobody gets paid. Pretty fvcking essential. You can work your ass off in a Covid environment but if you don't have a paycheck at the end of the day...

Essential has many shapes and forms.
sorry should've clarified
yes you are right, essential is essential no matter the location

In our DR plan if tagged essential you have to come in to work no matter what the disaster
those not tagged as essential were to just to stay home as your job wasn't deemed neccessary to the day to day operations of the company. But with VPN they've allowed everyone not tagged essential to just continue to work from home like nothing is out of the ordinary and that has created more work for those still left behind.

Like the whole hawaii tourism hatred thing this pandemic has been creating a growing negative fissure between those still working on the front lines or back offices and those sitting at home trying to be 100% efficient while the kids are running around, tv on, or squeezing in a shopping/laundry run. You hear it on the conference calls, and via the dumb social media posts employees make bragging about things they shouldn't be doing when they should be working.

That's why I'm buying lunch. To try and break up some of the negativity and resentment that's been boiling around me daily.
I wonder if it's like this elsewhere?

And yes payrolls critical, your payroll file along with thousands of others are being sent to backoffices like mine and we're responsible to sure it gets processed so everyone gets paid and made happy. Just like the PPP, CARES and the unemployment payouts. If we don't do our thing and our stuff doesn't work seamlessly every single day then no one gets paid. Unless its a check but then again that still has to be deposited or cashed or its a no go if your remote deposit, teller or ATM isn't operational. If a mass Covid spread takes out the back office payment infrastructure of the US like it's doing to the meat packing plants, everyone will be impacted when they can't access their funds of funny money. That's is unless you are like most immigrants and stash all your assets in your mattress. My stash is being used for lunches these days instead of another board.

Side note
I saw a video today of some guy who pulled up to a fast food window and gave everyone of the 6 fast food workers 10 grand cash a piece as a thank you for their service. Don't know if it was staged but I'm amazed of the good you see here and there.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Baking no knead bread, using proteins from once every ten days shop, frozen veg... Mostly home cook, 1-2maybe nights a week to support local business. Donated a bunch to local HI plate lunch place in Central Oregon for free meals, first responders, etc..

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
We've been cooking at home for the most part, but, tonight, it's Pepe del Gado's in Carp!
3-way combo's with shredded beef tacos, green chicken enchiladas, chille rellenos, rice and beans and home made margaritas!
Pick-up only.
Stay safe everyone! :)

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Doing takeout at least twice a week to support our favorite locally owned restaurants. Wife and I are very fortunate to still be working so we feel it's our civic duty.

The downside is I've put on 4 pounds in the last 2 months.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
2 times since this started, which is probably a little more than we would typically do. Wings from the pizza place around the corner.
My wife cooks what we like, the way we like it, exactly when we want, and it’s every night. I’m spoiled and take it for granted, but now that i never leave the house, I’m trying to do the clean up more

Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot