Huntington Beach - Massive Protest - Surfers Revolt!!!

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
As has been mentioned before here, I co-own a restaurant. One that currently has customers pilling up at the gate waiting to come back, purchasing gift cards for the future, and trying to make reservations that I cannot guarantee. Plenty of people want to come back to life, not just reckless young people. It's cute that you think most businesses are open, and that the ones who aren't just need to "get a grip".

So, if you're asking me personally, I'm complaining that the government has deemed my business unnecessary and shut down my industry indefinitely and with insufficient reasoning to do so, and followed that up by doubling down on "do what we say because we said so" with no relation to or mere mention of tangible goals.

The police are at odds with the governor, who is at odds with the mayors, all are at odds with the president.

Still we get people like you. Every thread. "Stop talking about things I don't want you to talk about in the talking about things place" if you don't want to hear the complaints, DON'T OPEN THE THREAD.

Is it a fondue restaurant?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The actual numbers in South Korea are over 2% and that is with it asymptoting. You may not like it but the math doesn't lie and they are a good test case.

I was kind by calling the Stanford study half-assed apparently. Curious what others thought and found this right off the bat. This is a decent breakdown on the flaws in that study. And it's pretty galling.

BTW, your link showed a Case Fatality Rate range of 0.82% to 9.64% worldwide with the US at 5.75% - 5.84% for 95% Confidence Interval. That's substantially higher than 2%. South Korea is at 2.09% - 2.60%, right in line with the worldometers link.

As far as IFR, we'll need more antibody testing to truly determine it. Those are all extremely small sample sizes.
I think you're just looking for negative remarks on the Stanford study that you don't really understand. In your own words, what was that author saying?

At the same website, another guy estimated different infection rates, but only about half what the authors of the Stanford study quoted. Even at that the number of infected is much higher than the positive tests in Santa Clara county:
Then they looked at the revised study:

Uh oh, another antibody study from Denmark showing an IFR for those younger than 70 of .082%:

You're just looking for ways of finding bad news which are not based on science.

Reactions: stringcheese

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Biden. After he gets rid of his teeny boppers. He must have a council of experts to tell him what to do regarding Covid?

Trump2020

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 26, 2020

that is a green light and those fvcktards are blocking traffic. According to Gdaddy and some others in these parts I believe vehicular homicide would be justifiable.
the cars are just more protestors finding parking.

if they aren’t protestors then the liberals shouldn’t be out in public anyway, they shud be at home quarantining and collecting govt checks.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
No. The data has been clear from the beginning that working-age people are not at risk from this. I'd rather get it now and get on with my life. Flu is far more deadly to people my age. Flu kills people of all ages. This kills overwhelmingly the very old with comorbidities.

Medical progress is not advancing quickly anymore, at least not compared to the 19th and 20th centuries. They've already been working on a coronavirus vaccine for 10 years before his one came along.
Yeah, people seem to forget the cliche "there's no cure for the common cold"

The common cold is a coronavirus

I feel better if the people in charge showed more competance.
If they were competent they wouldn't be working in government, they'd be making more money on a corporate board

Reactions: stringcheese

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
<iframe width="727" height="409" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
The closures and social distancing were as a result of information learned from the 1918 pandemic. Historians noted lower rates of infection in cities that cancelled parades, etc. It’s not science, really. It’s crude, but better than nothing.
The protests are partisan and fomented by right wing talk radio and Fox News related organizations.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The closures and social distancing were as a result of information learned from the 1918 pandemic. Historians noted lower rates of infection in cities that cancelled parades, etc. It’s not science, really. It’s crude, but better than nothing.
The protests are partisan and fomented by right wing talk radio and Fox News related organizations.
And rightwing billionaires who care nothing about those protesting.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Politicizing this seems like a really bad idea. From your perspective, if you want to keep everything shut down for safety safety and more safety, and the economy is in the shitter at election time, you have provided cover for the Trumpies.

"We tried to open things back up to save our economy, but the left wouldn't have it"

Now the left has ownership re the in-the-crapper economy.

I don't think it's a good move.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah, people seem to forget the cliche "there's no cure for the common cold"

The common cold is a coronavirus

If they were competent they wouldn't be working in government, they'd be making more money on a corporate board
Our elected officials and bureaucrats very accurately represent the voters. People are struggling to accept that we live in a banana republic. Every democracy ends the way ours is ending right now. About the best we can hope is that whoever declares themselves dictator for lyfe is competent with some real-world experience and more of a Lew Kuan Yew than a Stalin.

Reactions: Ifallalot

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Politicizing this seems like a really bad idea. From your perspective, if you want to keep everything shut down for safety safety and more safety, and the economy is in the shitter at election time, you have provided cover for the Trumpies.

"We tried to open things back up to save our economy, but the left wouldn't have it"

Now the left has ownership re the in-the-crapper economy.

I don't think it's a good move.
I just stated facts.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Personally, I think we should completely “open” the economy. When people get sick and die, so be it. I’m almost as liberal and progressive as a person could be. It is obvious to me that this current situation is not sustainable. We’ll have to accept a lot of deaths.