Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
My garden is going great! carrots and basil poppin up! tomatoes looking strong!

Going to plant a Clementine Mandarin tree in the backyard tomorrow for Earth Day:shaka::shaka:

Reactions: Aruka

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
you people flaunting your sun privilege should be shamed, I demand reparations!

Did you ever try growing mushrooms?

Didn't you move in the last year or so? What kinda land you got where you are now?

PS
Harvested a bunch of horseradish this winter. Makes the reconstituted wasabi powder taste about as good a freeze-dried Folgers as compared to a cup of freshly made Pee'ts Mocha Sanani arabica beans. The problem is that a little horseradish goes a long way and I have a about a pound of the stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: kawika and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Did ya'll know brassica's are in the mustard family? My girlfriend the botanist learned me that one.

If anyone likes collard greens or kale I highly recommend getting a few Purple Tree Collards. They will grow for years, produce lots of tasty greens year round, are very pest resistant and you can easily clone them to expand or share your bounty. I have a pretty big garden and it's one of my favorite new plants of the past couple years. I made about 30 clones this spring to pass around to friends and family. I usually cook them in the instant pot with butter, red pepper flake, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and occasionally bacon or ham, etc.

Another great one I ran last year is Fioretta 60 sprouting cauliflower. I'm not a big fan of cauliflower normally. I mean I'll eat it, it's fine but it never exactly blows me away if you can believe it. This variety however is super sweet and delicious. I usually roast them on my traeger and it's one of my favorites. Start in spring indoors and plant out once danger of frost has passed.

Last up is the purple sprouting broccoli. These are an overwintering plant so you start the seeds in Jul/Aug, plant in the fall and then they grow all winter and produce tasty broccoli sprouts in march/april depending on the variety. I think they are far superior in taste to a regular broccoli. These also go into the traeger or oven depending on the weather. I like to do an early and a later variety of sprouting broccoli so I have a solid two months of harvesting. When you harvest the tops in the spring they sprout more floretes so you can keep cutting on them like 4-5x. In my climate these make a lot of sense because I can take a bed where I grew something that finishes in the fall and throw a bunch of little starts in and then I hardly have to do anything once the rain starts. Spring time comes and they are the first food to come out of my garden.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Did ya'll know brassica's are in the mustard family? My girlfriend the botanist learned me that one.

If anyone likes collard greens or kale I highly recommend getting a few Purple Tree Collards. They will grow for years, produce lots of tasty greens year round, are very pest resistant and you can easily clone them to expand or share your bounty. I have a pretty big garden and it's one of my favorite new plants of the past couple years. I made about 30 clones this spring to pass around to friends and family. I usually cook them in the instant pot with butter, red pepper flake, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and occasionally bacon or ham, etc.

Another great one I ran last year is Fioretta 60 sprouting cauliflower. I'm not a big fan of cauliflower normally. I mean I'll eat it, it's fine but it never exactly blows me away if you can believe it. This variety however is super sweet and delicious. I usually roast them on my traeger and it's one of my favorites. Start in spring indoors and plant out once danger of frost has passed.

Last up is the purple sprouting broccoli. These are an overwintering plant so you start the seeds in Jul/Aug, plant in the fall and then they grow all winter and produce tasty broccoli sprouts in march/april depending on the variety. I think they are far superior in taste to a regular broccoli. These also go into the traeger or oven depending on the weather. I like to do an early and a later variety of sprouting broccoli so I have a solid two months of harvesting. When you harvest the tops in the spring they sprout more floretes so you can keep cutting on them like 4-5x. In my climate these make a lot of sense because I can take a bed where I grew something that finishes in the fall and throw a bunch of little starts in and then I hardly have to do anything once the rain starts. Spring time comes and they are the first food to come out of my garden.
I just bought a potted collard after seeing an 8' tall one absolutely flush with greens
at the nursery. I am thinking about adding a couple more as thy don't take up too
much space and I like to eat a lot of greens.

I really wish I had more space to garden.

I miss having fruiting trees...

Reactions: FecalFace and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I just bought a potted collard after seeing an 8' tall one absolutely flush with greens
at the nursery. I am thinking about adding a couple more as thy don't take up too
much space and I like to eat a lot of greens.

I really wish I had more space to garden.

I miss having fruiting trees...
Nice, yeah they produce a lot for how much space they take up, kind of like kale but rather than bolting in the late summer they just kind of keep chugging along.

I planted a small orchard three years ago and got my first little apple harvest last fall. The peaches and pears still have yet to produce anything of note. I plugged in six different plum varieties and a few more apples(honeycrisp!)/pears/cherries this winter. I love plums so I'm really hoping at least one of the types does well eventually. I have 16 trees now and a bit more room for later additions. I want to get to the point when the trees are big enough that I can remove the fence and let the deer come in. Let them gorge on the fallen apples for a few weeks and then drop the fattest one for the freezer. That's the fantasy anyways. I've never killed a deer and I don't even own a gun.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Nice, yeah they produce a lot for how much space they take up, kind of like kale but rather than bolting in the late summer they just kind of keep chugging along.

I planted a small orchard three years ago and got my first little apple harvest last fall. The peaches and pears still have yet to produce anything of note. I plugged in six different plum varieties and a few more apples(honeycrisp!)/pears/cherries this winter. I love plums so I'm really hoping at least one of the types does well eventually. I have 16 trees now and a bit more room for later additions. I want to get to the point when the trees are big enough that I can remove the fence and let the deer come in. Let them gorge on the fallen apples for a few weeks and then drop the fattest one for the freezer. That's the fantasy anyways. I've never killed a deer and I don't even own a gun.
1587587904005.png

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

you're living the dream

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Did you ever try growing mushrooms?

Didn't you move in the last year or so? What kinda land you got where you are now?

PS
Harvested a bunch of horseradish this winter. Makes the reconstituted wasabi powder taste about as good a freeze-dried Folgers as compared to a cup of freshly made Pee'ts Mocha Sanani arabica beans. The problem is that a little horseradish goes a long way and I have a about a pound of the stuff.
re: mushrooms - not yet, get a few growing naturally, but unfortunately not the kind I want
re: move - yes, moved roughly 1/4 mile
re: land - even LESS SUN, in the middle of a redwood grove on a sloping lot
re: ps - maybe add it to your concrete mix for the sidewalk :bricks:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I have a few serrano & reaper chili plants, and herbs that either survived last Summer heat, this Winter cold, or didn't get blown to San Miguel Island these past few nights.
Found a new motherload chanterelle spot.
The tree I didn't know was a fruit tree on the slope fruited for the first time - loquats, stocked.
The other 2 trees below it I didn't know were fruit trees started flowering for the first time - haas avocados, I can't explain how stocked that makes me and my wallet.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
So I was all excited about my black figs popping up after the rain.

I wake up one morning and they're all gone overnight.

Every single one. They were not even ripe.

I don't get it. I can't find a culprit.

I quit feeding birds so I stop attracting rabbits, squirrels and rats.

Don't get it. :cry:

March 31st:

1587630674129.jpeg

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
That sucks..
I had something completely eat all my cucumbers , I'm not sure if its rabbits or ground squirrels

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
That sucks..
I had something completely eat all my cucumbers , I'm not sure if its rabbits or ground squirrels
we have a big problem with deer, squirrels etc where i live...on an island with no predators, my neighborhood is like one big buffet for them. have tried all kinds of crazy pest repellent recipes over the years but found that spraying fish emulsion works better than anything and is great for the plants as well. just don't be downwind when you spray it.

Reactions: laidback

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
we have a big problem with deer, squirrels etc where i live...on an island with no predators, my neighborhood is like one big buffet for them. have tried all kinds of crazy pest repellent recipes over the years but found that spraying fish emulsion works better than anything and is great for the plants as well. just don't be downwind when you spray it.
I've heard tell rifles are epic at repelling deer.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I've heard tell rifles are epic at repelling deer.
yeah, but the neighbors get a little fussy about that technique - especially the ones with kids. have thought about buying a wrist rocket from Harbor Freight Tools and a bag of ball bearings....you're not going to rid yourself of the pests so the trick is to make your garden less appetizing and/or more challenging than your neighbors, so they go elsewhere. and they do.

from this year's raised bed assortment:

IMG_20200423_111330839.jpg

IMG_20200423_111447130_HDR (Small).jpg

IMG_20200423_111413277 (Small).jpg

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Word up homie but poached venison don't start with a pot of boiling water. If you can't punch everyone within a 3 mile radius in the ears until they're deaf, get you one of those hi-grade crossbows.

This will aid you so you can git ta killin'-n-grillin'.

I am not sure if maybe with this gear at this range the head shot might be where it's at. You might want to have like a castnet and a baseball bat at the ready in case it makes a stumbly run for it. You want to get that thing back onto your property and start braining it while screaming "I hate coyotes! Mr. Flufflesworth was my bestest dear friend and he was a good kitty kat, my favorite from the colony" and then they'll all think you're a cat lady and give you a wide birth.

Reactions: the janitor

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
We bought our land in Southern Humboldt in the '70s and planted fruit trees then, meanwhile have been gardening too for years. Bought the land during the 'back to the land' movement, thought it would be a great place to raise our kids (it was--they gained something that's all to uncommon--common sense), and would be the best place to be should the sh*t hit the fan. Turns out that was a good move, having been validated by recent events. We bought the original logged-off 60 acres for $250/acre and have bought up other land that was part of a ranch that surrounded us. All down in the canyon where the water is, good move too because this year is shaping up to be the lowest rainfall total since I've been keeping records. Have apples, pears, plums, peaches, nectarines, cherries, and even a fig tree that really produced last year. The almond tree has been a real slow starter but this year it looks like it's loaded. Oh, and cannabis too...DSC00446.JPG