10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
did kb workout yesterday. swings cleans snatches presses squats rows n pushuos. felt need to go almost to failure. miss barbell training. will dl tomoro. need to get a rack asap.

dynamic nature of kb is fun. but barbell is king imho

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What lifting brought numbness? You have to lift around that.
Spasming/tightness in almost any of those muscles down there can cause subjective numbness, particularly the piriformis and gluteus medius and minimus. I've had this myself.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Spasming/tightness in almost any of those muscles down there can cause subjective numbness, particularly the piriformis and gluteus medius and minimus. I've had this myself.
Two MRIs within months of each other showed bulged disc in L2-3 had about doubled in size. Doubt its simply tightness. Numbness on the inside of my leg (ankle and calf) is permanent.

Should I deadlift and see if that fixes it?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Initially it was a leg workout. It's returned when doing exercises like shoulder presses. I avoid going heavy these days.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Two MRIs within months of each other showed bulged disc in L2-3 had about doubled in size. Doubt its simply tightness. Numbness on the inside of my leg (ankle and calf) is permanent.

There used to be a PT on here named Psykophant who has a modern understanding of pain. He was very skeptical of imaging and cited numerous studies about MRIs and bulging discs (they're not actually discs in the first place) being uncorrelated with pain and resolving spontaneously. He also said that MRIs were notorious for 'false positives' - generally you're going to see something on one the older a person gets and the findings might be the same as someone with no symptoms.

That said, I'm not a doctor and I don't have any recommendations for you.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Tightness doesn't cause numbing. Muscular or soft tissue swelling can cause temporary tingling sensation...but not numbing.

Bulged discs usually resolve on their own and getting two MRI's was probably two too many. As you've experienced..they haven't fixed anything and now you feel like your broken and are feeling random numbing sensations.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
anyone recommend Bands to use at home while gyms are closed? Dont want to go all in and get weights at this time and looking for a replacement.

Or any other recommendations, thanks

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Bodylastics or the pink and orange JC Predator bands:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
anyone recommend Bands to use at home while gyms are closed? Dont want to go all in and get weights at this time and looking for a replacement.

Or any other recommendations, thanks
My home stuff consists of 3 pairs of dumbbells, pull up bar mounted permanently in my bedroom door (would be a problem for a very tall person), rubber tubing from previous physio visits, plus …

The item I would choose if I could only pick one from my collection - the inflatable exercise ball. Cheap, although a little bulky when inflated which is how I leave it. There are so many things that can be done with this - PRCD posted some and after a while you might find yourself making some up once a feel for how it can exercise the core is achieved. What I like about the exercise ball is that it is a body weight exercise, so can place a decent load on the muscles being exercised without the need for additional weights. Introduces some wobble, which is good for sharpening up the reflexes that operate the core - something which weights won't do so well. Can introduce rotational load on the core with some asymmetric type planking positions.

I am in my shack down the coast at the moment and all I have is my lightest pair of dumbbells - posterior shoulder stability, bent reverse flies done slowly - so not a heavy exercise . Plus some rubber tubing - rotator cuff and hip flexor. However this is specific to me - not everyone has shoulder stability concerns or want to build some tendon strength for hip flexors (skimboarding). Not enough resistance for a bands workout and I am only using it for those two isolated situations.

In place of my exercise ball I am using a rolled up self inflating camping mattress which isn't giving me the same wobble so I am doing more asymmetric work on it - eg. I can get a bit of roll towards me effect for the slow jackknife I do, but won't get the side to side wobble so I am doing them with just one foot on the floor to get extra rotational load.

I expect to be living down the coast for a few weeks due to the C-19 situation, so intend to head back to the city to collect some more things. I will get my other two dumbbells and possibly swap the camping mattress for my exercise ball - not much room in my shack. I have done 3 sessions of pull ups on the climbing frame near me, its not getting much use by others at the moment, but I feel the need to wash my hands after use lol.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
So after two days rest my butt still hurt, so I'm thinking- rest is not a cure. So today I did a run, stairs, the pull up push up to failure routine, planks, deadlifts and did the squats with empty bar. I'd been doing them with the 10 lb dumbbells so it's a step up.

I get dizzy when I do the valsalva during the deadlift, like when you stand up too fast from sitting or lying down. VM, is that a common occurrence for beginners, or might this have to do with my heart condition? My cardiologist told me the valsalva was not dangerous, but he did warn me against lifting really heavy weights. I would not consider 65 lbs heavy.

I also tried to do some pop ups on the beach today. No way. Very painful. Fuk!
How are you going Llilibel? Any updates on your symptoms, has your training evolved. On the plus side you would be well on your way to getting a fairly solid core, better than prior to your back problem, just need to find a way of resolving that pain - or maybe its just time that is needed.

I'm treading carefully with all the extra physical stresses from adding skimboarding to my surf sessions. Currently operating on a one day on, one day rest cycle, I can get in the sea every other day now. Today is a rest day - yesterday surfed/skimmed twice and at the end of the day did some of my home training - I've introduced light dumbbell lunges now - that definitely does some flexor work for me.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
There used to be a PT on here named Psykophant who has a modern understanding of pain. He was very skeptical of imaging and cited numerous studies about MRIs and bulging discs (they're not actually discs in the first place) being uncorrelated with pain and resolving spontaneously. He also said that MRIs were notorious for 'false positives' - generally you're going to see something on one the older a person gets and the findings might be the same as someone with no symptoms.

That said, I'm not a doctor and I don't have any recommendations for you.
I've read the same things. The fact that some people have bulged discs and no symptoms doesn't really prove much other than people can have bulged discs without any problems. I am not in pain. I just have numbness is different parts of the lower extremities. I didn't have back pain. The pain was in the outside of my shin and wrapped around to the inside ankle. That is one of the areas that is now permanently numb and has been for more than 3 years.