Mexican Food

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Taco Stand in Encinitas always has a huge line for so so food...remember when the first Robertos and then Albertos first opened in San Diego? Early 80's? Back then they made real carne asada...real marinated steak...then I saw the big can of "cubed beef"...the days were gone...

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Taco Stand in Encinitas always has a huge line for so so food...remember when the first Robertos and then Albertos first opened in San Diego? Early 80's? Back then they made real carne asada...real marinated steak...then I saw the big can of "cubed beef"...the days were gone...
there's one in downtown that I tried (no wait), pretty good tacos, wouldn't wait in line for 30min for em though. the one in la jolla always seems packed, there's better mexican in close proximity too

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The best chorizo outside of Toluca:
Pendejo. El mejor chorizo del Edo de Mexico es de La Marquesa. Quizás lo qué vendan rumbo al Popo. De La Marquesa la verde. Del otro lado el rojo.

O para ti, un verdadero afecciondo del chorizo, el chorizo qué te meta al fundió tú macho. Con mucha crema.

• Haha
Reactions: colimasurf

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Sour cream is acceptable for taquitos and sometimes enchiladas

Yeah - meat only and corn or flour tortilla you know it’s the real deal.

El burrito junior is absolute dogshit. I lmao when people rave about it. Tarasco not much better. South Bay sucks ass for mexican food. El amigo is ok but it ain’t tj tacos. Rauls casa sombrero has the best menudo I’ve ever had. They switched to weekends only and $16 for large bowl. You can feed a family for that much if you bring a pot to ruebens in Compton. Isaacs in Wilmington has a good verde burrito the asada was good too but forgettable if you have the chile verde

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
LA has the most amazingly cheap and delicious Mexican food on practically every other street corner. I have tried a lot of them, and none of them have any lettuce nor sour cream.

Reactions: Kento

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Still super bummed they closed all Baja Fresh stores in San Diego. Unauthentic SoCalexican fast food yes I know, but damn their Burrito Especial and salsa bar was bomb IMO.

Reactions: gbg

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Sour cream is acceptable for taquitos and sometimes enchiladas

Yeah - meat only and corn or flour tortilla you know it’s the real deal.

El burrito junior is absolute dogshit. I lmao when people rave about it. Tarasco not much better. South Bay sucks ass for mexican food. El amigo is ok but it ain’t tj tacos. Rauls casa sombrero has the best menudo I’ve ever had. They switched to weekends only and $16 for large bowl. You can feed a family for that much if you bring a pot to ruebens in Compton. Isaacs in Wilmington has a good verde burrito the asada was good too but forgettable if you have the chile verde
How about Ticos? Still good?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Can you say LA SUPERICA on Milpas?
Also, there's this gas station just outside Gilroy that we hit leaving Moss Landing, and this little old Mexican lady sells home made burritos and tamales out of a playmate cooler, OMG!
The station manager lets her sell there and said she sells out within an hour.

Reactions: keenfish

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
IMO-
best California burrito, Ortiz's in Point Loma or Rudy's in Solana
best adobada or asada street style tacos, Tacos El Gordo for sure

Reactions: Ifallalot and gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Still super bummed they closed all Baja Fresh stores in San Diego. Unauthentic SoCalexican fast food yes I know, but damn their Burrito Especial and salsa bar was bomb IMO.
Damn right.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Can you say LA SUPERICA on Milpas?
Also, there's this gas station just outside Gilroy that we hit leaving Moss Landing, and this little old Mexican lady sells home made burritos and tamales out of a playmate cooler, OMG!
The station manager lets her sell there and said she sells out within an hour.
La Superica is great indeed, but the best is El Sitio on Salinas Street. There's also one on Fairview by Surf Country which is just as good if the good land is your hood.