Board goes frontside but doesn't go backside

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I have never experienced this with a board but hear it often enough around here to pose the question.

Can someone who's experienced this explain?

When you go frontside, aren't you engaging both toeside and heelside rails and same going backside? So if your board goes frontside, shouldn't it be able to go backside?

What's also interesting is I've never heard the opposite......that a board goes backside, but doesn't go frontside.

Last edited:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
HAd that problem with quads, when you pivot off the bottom turn backside it can slip out.
If I had akura time and money I could fix it but I just went back 2 thrustar

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and Havoc

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
HAd that problem with quads, when you pivot off the bottom turn backside it can slip out.
If I had akura time and money I could fix it but I just went back 2 thrustar
I aspire to spending all my time and money on surfing. Aruka’s got life figured out!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sometimes on my quads I feel like I can't do anything right backside. I put this down to, I would probably be fine with a bit more aggressive design because the grovel-ness of the board is wide/flat for the surf in question.

I've never had a board that I liked frontside that I didn't eventually find some condition set where it lit up backside as well.

But if it's rights up the beach and lefts against the grain (I'm goofy foot) and it's not too racy on the rights, I'm grabbing a thruster, because if I'm not getting repeatedly outrun, the thruster will go great backside for me.

Reactions: Bman76

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've had trouble with wide tailed boards on my back hand. I think it's easier to overpower a fat tail with my heels whereas on my frontside I have a bit of a softer touch. Like a wide tailed groveler that feels great frontside might want to wash out when I bottom turn on my backhand. I was talking to retodd about this a while ago, saying that my stubby twin fish felt great frontside but I was overpowering it on the back hand and he said it sounded like a wide-tail problem, not a twin-fin problem. Sure enough about a month later I got a Rusty twin which is more of a HP outline with a narrow tail and it goes great back side. My favorite board/fin setups for backhand surfing probably feel just a little stiff on the forehand. Like a setup that feels drivey but a little hard to pivot on the forehand (some quads) will likely feel great on my backhand. Most good thrusters will feel pretty equal going both directions which is why despite enjoying all sorts of different boards and fin setups I usually come back around to the tri-fin's when there are actual waves.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've had trouble with wide tailed boards on my back hand. I think it's easier to overpower a fat tail with my heels whereas on my frontside I have a bit of a softer touch. Like a wide tailed groveler that feels great frontside might want to wash out when I bottom turn on my backhand. I was talking to retodd about this a while ago, saying that my stubby twin fish felt great frontside but I was overpowering it on the back hand and he said it sounded like a wide-tail problem, not a twin-fin problem. Sure enough about a month later I got a Rusty twin which is more of a HP outline with a narrow tail and it goes great back side. My favorite board/fin setups for backhand surfing probably feel just a little stiff on the forehand. Like a setup that feels drivey but a little hard to pivot on the forehand (some quads) will likely feel great on my backhand. Most good thrusters will feel pretty equal going both directions which is why despite enjoying all sorts of different boards and fin setups I usually come back around to the tri-fin's when there are actual waves.
Yeah I've never had a problem backside with a more HP shape. Just the wider tailed stuff when it's a little tighter and faster transitions top/bottom.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I had a Slater Designs' Sci-Fi for a very short while, due to the fact I couldn't get the thing to work backside. It was marginal at best for me frontside, but backside, I was so off my game I just had to laugh. It wasn't a "couldn't get it square enough off the bottom to really blow the fins out" kind of thing, it was a "I think I look better surfing switch stance than I do right now". I gave it about a week and the nail in the coffin was me taking it out to Lowers to give it its best chance to shine. I actually got a few nice forehand turns but even just pumping backside, it felt like there was this weird lift making things feel really unstable. It was having big Jacuzzi bubbles constantly coming to the surface under the tail backside.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
My opinion on backside surfing as a reg footer who surfs 75% lefts: lots of tail rocker feels great backside on most types of waves - not so much frontside (needs to be hollower).

Reactions: Waterlogged05