Have you ever surfed in a contest?

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Hiya Boneroni!
what's fun is that there will only be a few other dudes out in the water with ya!
so you probably wanna keep on advancing!

pressure is on,
but you only got a few minutes to catch thee required amount of waves needed.
Show a variety of repetoire every wave, don't do thee same manuever 3, 4, 5 times a wave...

advice?
catch your required wave count early, then wait,
do not catch other waves unless they will advance your scorez...
have fun!
randy

ps ~ last time i wore a jersey,
surfed in a heat, in '89, before thee 1/4 finals,
i had Christian Fletcher, Richie Rudolf, Paul Barr, at fun Lower's.
got third, lost, but pulled in 'bout $800 smackies, helped me further pay off my chickz new Passat i had bought her...
BUT thee important part was this: ONLY 3 other dudes in fun waves at Trestles???
Sign me up!

HAVE FUN
@ Rincon!!!
:drowning:

Reactions: Boneroni

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Did a few regular contests in high school 13-14 years ago, waves sucked for every one and I never made a heat. Past few years I’ve done the Surfside 70s contest and have made a few heats a couple of the times—but that’s a total mellow goof-around contest. Still is stressful and not relaxing to me, kind of antithetical to the point of surfing for me.

Reactions: Mr J

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Arent heats in RC 15 minutes? I was gonna try it at one point but decided its not worth it. Save myself the embarrassment too.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
2004 USA kneeboard championships at Pleasure Point.

Won heat #1.

Made it to the semi finals. Caught the flu. Abosluteley sucked against the contest keelos from SoCal. These guys don't surf, they do heats.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
Contests are easy, catch the required amount of waves,
thee best waves that show up in a certain amount of time,
surf well, to your experience, do not fall, + you will advance.
time + time again...

AND, And, and, + then, + Then, + THEN!:
You, Boneroni, get to paddle back out,
+ do it again,
1 more time!

With only a few other dudes in the water!!!
Best Wishes for some heat winz, bro,
@ Rincon, Thee Queen of The Coast!

Last edited:
Reactions: Oakleys_N_Zinka

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Good luck and hope you advance through heats to get empty Rincon as long as possible.

Oh and don't get the "They're all gonna laugh at you!" line from Carrie stuck in your head.

• Haha

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
In the late 70's and early 80's, high school surf team, NSSA, WSA, and whatever events I could get. I desired to be a PRO surfer and finally got my "break". The epic swell photo that is used , or was used for the Katin Pro-Am, was my first (and last) pro event. It was macking HB and I drew 2 top 16 pros and a top 33 pro. Needless to say, I was seriously outclassed, and was completely out of my element!

That being said, when I surfed any event after that, I was pretty at ease. I knew that I wasn't going to make it as a pro, and the comps were chosen to surf empty waves at a particular location.

That's what you have done. You chose an awesome wave to surf with just a few individuals out. Go have fun. If you advance, try and calculate how much each wave is costing you. Sounds kind of stupid, but the last event I surfed was an NSSA explorer division at salt creek. I made it to the finals and my wave cost was about $1.50 each! Completely worth it!!

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
This is awesome let us know how it goes

it was already answered, and I know this not from surf contests.repechage is a losers round - chance to get back in the tournament

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Any advice would be appreciated.
I've done plenty, won some money.
Best advice if you are serious about advancing, is to not catch crappy waves. Once you have the minimum wave count, that cruddy wave you're eyeing won't be able to raise your score, don't bother with it. Put yourself in position to catch the good set.
Remember, you're surfing to please the judges, they're bored, be exciting.
If all else fails, use Sharkbiscuits's strategy.

I was probably there on this day. Those contests were gnarly, the lineup was NOT cleared and regulars were always pissed about the contest. Beach start, 6 man heats, 15 minutes, top 4 waves scoring. We knew how to scramble and catch waves back then
I surfed about a half a season of NSSA when I was in college. Then, during one contest at Blacks the waves were just going off so at the end of my heat I didn't paddle in but just kept surfing and I got booted off the team.

This is excellent advice if you know your chances at advancement are done. Note, there may be possible repercussions on the beach.
My advice is, if you're not going to advance, and some guy you don't like or who you owe a burnback is lining up a gem, torch his sh!t and bag yourself a runner.

2surf obviously has some expertise in this department! I note the Topper board, SDSU? If so, you were probably there for llilibel03's heat also.
1979 ... 1999
~rwright also has good advice, his heat experience also is prominent.
Hiya Boneroni!
what's fun is that there will only be a few other dudes out in the water with ya!
so you probably wanna keep on advancing!

pressure is on,
but you only got a few minutes to catch thee required amount of waves needed.
Show a variety of repetoire every wave, don't do thee same manuever 3, 4, 5 times a wave...

advice?
catch your required wave count early, then wait,
do not catch other waves unless they will advance your scorez...
have fun!
randy

ps ~ last time i wore a jersey,
surfed in a heat, in '89, before thee 1/4 finals,
i had Christian Fletcher, Richie Rudolf, Paul Barr, at fun Lower's.
got third, lost, but pulled in 'bout $800 smackies, helped me further pay off my chickz new Passat i had bought her...
BUT thee important part was this: ONLY 3 other dudes in fun waves at Trestles???
Sign me up!

Reactions: Mr J and Boneroni

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don’t even really grasp the concept of surfing as a competition.

Getting waves in crowded lineup?

That’s the contest.

Riding a wave is the prize.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
i used to surf contests back in the day, it was a fun way to surf random places you might not surf and only 6 guys out, the sdsu team i was on won the national champs late 80s, i wasn't a top guy, that team was stacked, but we surfed and partied hard, good times.,
my favorite contest used to be the sundt memorial at blacks, one year i had quite a run and got through a bunch of heats, it was glassy six foot and all to ourselves, every heat was firing, so fun. i never won a contest until i entered the grandview 4th of july open beer open, my friends house had stairs to the beach and you had to chug a pint before and after your heat, i won my third heat and got to skip a round and go straight to the finals with one other guy while the rest of the guys did a repercharge heat which meant 2 more pints for them, my wife/ girlfriend at the time swam out during the final and a wave ripped her top off, and everyone got distracted but me (seen them plenty), and i got a set and snagged a little barrel to win the contest and get my name on the perpetual trophy. my greatest competition achievement with names like Alan Johnson, Trent Lunford, Dave Pillsbury dough boy and b.r. on the trophy, thanks honey..

so what i'm saying boneroni is have your gal in the shorebreak topless, make sure to post the pics...

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Happily I was always smart enough to not fvck surfing up by competing.
Competed at other things I liked a lot, competed emotionally, and in the end when you do that there are only two outcomes: be a champion, or fail and be sad. A hundred broken hockey sticks and few retired pairs of 4oz gloves later, I'm 31 with several concussions and zero anything championships:LOL:

Losing sucks. Competing is mostly losing, at least the parts that matter. Do you want to lose at surfing? Or just go surfing?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Proud (not really) member of the Delaware ESA mid to late 80s. Got 3rd in a heat once. Name printed in an old Surfer Mag.

Reactions: Mr J

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Happily I was always smart enough to not fvck surfing up by competing.
Competed at other things I liked a lot, competed emotionally, and in the end when you do that there are only two outcomes: be a champion, or fail and be sad. A hundred broken hockey sticks and few retired pairs of 4oz gloves later, I'm 31 with several concussions and zero anything championships:LOL:

Losing sucks. Competing is mostly losing, at least the parts that matter. Do you want to lose at surfing? Or just go surfing?
The guy is buying six people out at Rincrowd. He doesn't give half a wet sh!t about winning beyond advancing for another 20 minutes of six people out.

It's not about the competition. It's about the recreation. It's like a really, really low budget version of Slater's wave but the sh!t is in the river, not the adjacent real estate. Honestly I'd rather have one to myself at Rincon like in the Bobby Martinez video than one at Lemoore any day.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
30 years ago I did a small kind contest. Somehow I made it out of my first heat and in the second heat I was in the perfect spot for a nice one but a kid who was slightly outside and wide was interested so I just sat there. At the last second I whipped around and took off behind him and immediately felt like a complete ass. I felt better when he made it through and I didn't.