A whole new world of California surfing has opened up to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Mugu security is notorious for harassing people surfing. The new law gives service connected disabled vets MWR access so the cottages at San Onofre, Barbers Point, and of course the beach at Mugu should be open.
Kind of. MWR access does not mean a free for all for the beaches unless the base CO agrees to it. Base access does not mean someone that does not have a military ID can go wherever they want.

One of the more well known beaches on the East Side of Oahu that is on a military base is strictly Military only. No military ID and they will ticket you. And yes, they do check for Military ID regularly because it is so popular. They go from person to person and car to car looking at passes and IDs when they do a check.

Mugu will probably be ok. It depends on how overwhelmed the beach becomes with non military.

Last edited:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I'm from a small college town. As surfers we felt the pressure change only slightly when school was in. The locals on the island reigned superior, then other surfers from the general area and then students, summer locals, tourists, etc. It could get pretty hectic at times BUT, I can only imagine having a full time mega military base(or bases) right in the middle of the coastal area being a bad mix of surfers and young hard-nosed would be soldiers blowing off steam wherever they may be.
I occasionally read stories in the surf mags growing up written by/about these very locales.
Must get pretty good there sometimes, I would probably do anything to avoid that scene.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
MPs have yelled at me and friends from shore and we have flipped them off, said ok, I'll be out after this one, oh one more, ooh no it's too good I can't get out now the barrels, or we were cool and they were cool, etc. But I'm no longer a night shift bartender in my early 20s who can chance getting chased and arrested by MPs, and things got way, way more locked down after 911. Plus, if you have time to check Arnolds to McGrath enough you'll know where good drama free and uncrowded sand is anyway.
Ive been wanting to check Arnolds for a while now. Is it worth it?

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Ahhh the good ole high school trips to base on da east side. Got hassled sometimes but not often, maybe because of the times we pulled in marines who were drowning or getting sucked out to sea.
i lived just off base
when we got busted
depending on the mood of the MP's
we would get locked in the cage
they had in the main station
until our parents came to pick us up

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Ahhh the good ole high school trips to base on da east side. Got hassled sometimes but not often, maybe because of the times we pulled in marines who were drowning or getting sucked out to sea.
Had some fun surfs at that base when I was out there.
I'm service connected. Might be time for a trip.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Had some fun surfs at that base when I was out there.
I'm service connected. Might be time for a trip.
Unless you're retired, one of the beaches is restricted to Military only and they seem to be heavily enforcing it at the moment due to complaints from residents.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Your car will get broken into.
Have seen lots of broken glass in that lot.
As for checking it, surfysurfy1476 knock yourself out if you've go the time. Besides Strand, Arnolds to McGrath have periods of time in different spots that go through long dogshit phases (trenches along the shore, shitty sand, etc). I really don't know how much more on the radar that spot is currently.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
i lived just off base
when we got busted
depending on the mood of the MP's
we would get locked in the cage
they had in the main station
until our parents came to pick us up
Same with when I grew up. Always looking over your shoulder every time you surf because of the MP boogie man waiting to catch people.

At one point, MPs were confiscating boards and telling you to come back in 6 months to pick it up. Thankfully I avoided that fate.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What's the problem if it is the whitest crowd?
I dunno. Last couple weeks I surfed a lot at a few different spots, none of them mugs. I really wasn’t paying attention but a cant recall seeing anything but white people in the water.

I don’t really know how the base could be “more” white.

And again, the surfer in question was not hassled because of his skin color.

He was hassled because he’s not a base regular.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Been on bases all my life, it is my perception that I get hassled more than others but I only have my anecdotal evidence.

I would guess that MP's will have new protocol for this "service connected" change in access and will be more than willing to hassle everybody.

Post 9/11 was definitely a big change in security. Sometimes I'd have to wait a half hour to get on base when I used to drive right through.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I dunno. Last couple weeks I surfed a lot at a few different spots, none of them mugs. I really wasn’t paying attention but a cant recall seeing anything but white people in the water.

I don’t really know how the base could be “more” white.

And again, the surfer in question was not hassled because of his skin color.

He was hassled because he’s not a base regular.
Thats what Im getting at. Lame to blame race for getting hassled in Ca. If it was HI or something it could make sense.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Thats what Im getting at. Lame to blame race for getting hassled in Ca. If it was HI or something it could make sense.

CA base, Hawaii base, doesn't matter. I used to get hassled a lot (this was 15-20 years ago). 9 times out of 10 I would get stopped and asked for ID when surfing on base, either walking to or from my car, or in process of going/leaving. I often would get stopped at the gate leaving the base, which I never see anybody else get stopped.

Mugu specifically, I would sometimes get asked for ID multiple times at the beach.

I understand it, I'm not white and I don't look like military people of color.

Last edited: