Booties and gloves thread

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I didn't mold, they fit my feet really well without it.

You have the 6mm version I take it? I got the heat booster socks against my better judgement but there wasn't room for them to fit inside the already snug boots. I'm surprised to hear they are warm enough for you since you have even colder water temps over there. Our lowest temps are like 45F but usually it's like 48-52F.
Are you supposed to mold with the socks on or off?

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
My Solites are very warm. I'm in Maine. I haven't tried the sock in the boot yet, and actually haven't even molded them yet. They fit so well without the mold. Friends that surf very well and have been using the solites longer say the sock is great. It seems weird to wear a sock in a boot for an activity that relies so heavily on feel but I'll report back once I've tried it myself.
Do you have the newest ones? Did they update them?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
good question. probably with them on? maybe I should try that but it just seems like there is in no way enough room to fit them in there. I wore the socks with other boots and haven't noticed much in the way of improved warmth. there's no way these would take you from a 3 to a 5mm IMO.

it's cool to see they released a new 8mm. $110 though, yikes.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Has anyone here tried Vissla's booties and gloves?
Yes, 3mm booties. I had the drylocks for ages, like Aruka they were too tight, and I cut the plastic molding on the split toe etc. to try to free up more room.

So I went to a shop with a really hefty inventory and tried on no lie like 8-10 different booties, and the Vissla fit the best.

They seem fine for me; we had a cold snap last winter so we got some upper 20s/upper 40s and I was more just hating a hood than anything. They do leak some; I've had them 2 years and I dry them inside out so that might be on me. No balloon issues though.

I'd rather the fancy RipQuikBongCelGlove fit me better because I think their booties are probably a little better but for someone who at worst spends 4 months dealing with water under 60 they're fine.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
good question. probably with them on? maybe I should try that but it just seems like there is in no way enough room to fit them in there. I wore the socks with other boots and haven't noticed much in the way of improved warmth. there's no way these would take you from a 3 to a 5mm IMO.

it's cool to see they released a new 8mm. $110 though, yikes.
I'll stick with my Drylocks

Apr 4, 2013
Jamie, founder of Solite checking in here. A bunch of questions/comments on here so I'll try to address them as best as possible. You can also always e-mail me at: info@soliteboots.com

1. Warmth: our boots are pretty similar in warmth to other brands when you compare the same thickness. The difference is ours our substantially lighter weight and therefore feel closer to barefoot and more nimble. For example, our 6mm boots weigh about the same as everybody else's 3mm boots. The other great thing is ours STAY light during a session. The entire lower portion (the heat moldable portion) doesn't absorb any water so the boots don't get heavier as you go. They also don't "balloon" if they get flushed because the lower portion isn't super-stretch neoprene like other boots.

2. Socks: all of our boots come with the knit split-toe "Heat Booster" socks in the box. Some people swear by 'em, some people don't use them at all. The benefits:
*a little extra comfort​
*a little extra warmth​
*boots go on/off easier with the socks​
*boots stink less because the socks absorb the bacteria​
*they can be machine washed/dried to keep them smelling fresh​
*they create a little extra room when heat-molding.​
3. Durability: if you follow basic care procedures, our boots typically outlast others by a significant margin. Rinse with fresh water after every surf. Dry in a shady place. Be reasonably careful putting them on/taking them off. Also, for those who bought the Body Glove versions or our older versions, our new velcro strap design is MUCH more durable so no more issues on that front.

4. Fit: We are the only heat-moldable surf boots. So if you have any fit issues, we can usually solve them: narrow feet? Size down and heat mold, this will stretch the length while narrowing the width. Wide feet: buy your shoe-size and heat-mold will stretch the width. In-between sizes? By the smaller one and heat-mold stretch to fit. Nice thing is we will except returns/exchanges even if you heat-mold the boots. Just don't take them outside/get them dirty before you request an exchange.

We are a small company founded/run by cold-water surfers and we are 100% focused on boots (ok, gloves in the works). Any feedback just contact me any time at info@soliteboots.com

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
You can mold with the socks on or off. The cool thing is that you can mold the boots as many times as you want. Right Jaime? I had that same question as socks would seem to change the mold so you would really have to pick if you are wearing the socks or not but that isn't the case. You can mold with no socks. Then when it is time to add the socks mold them again with the socks. I believe I have the new versions. As I said, I haven't even molded yet because they are so much better than any other boot I've ever had right off the shelf. As I said I'm between a 9 and a 10. I went with the 10 and they are perfect. I love that 60% of the boot doesn't even absorb water. The most stocked I have been about a surf product in a long time. I'll report back on the durability and on the thicker versions by the end of the Spring.

Reactions: emmohl80
Apr 4, 2013
You can mold with the socks on or off. The cool thing is that you can mold the boots as many times as you want. Right Jaime? I had that same question as socks would seem to change the mold so you would really have to pick if you are wearing the socks or not but that isn't the case. You can mold with no socks. Then when it is time to add the socks mold them again with the socks. I believe I have the new versions. As I said, I haven't even molded yet because they are so much better than any other boot I've ever had right off the shelf. As I said I'm between a 9 and a 10. I went with the 10 and they are perfect. I love that 60% of the boot doesn't even absorb water. The most stocked I have been about a surf product in a long time. I'll report back on the durability and on the thicker versions by the end of the Spring.
Yes, Trevor. You can mold as many times as you want. Heat molding will make the boots larger in any dimension, but won't shrink them. That said, there is a trick to shrink the boots: just heat mold them, but don't put your foot in when you pour out the hot water. As the boots cool, without a foot inside them to keep the shape, they will shrink slightly. Then you can heat mold again.

Reactions: trevorbc

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
For no smell booties, fill them with water once, tip out then put in a little laundry powder. It doesn't seem to be an exact science I use about a level teaspoon. Fill again and give them a shake. Don't use the laundry powder that claims to be good for the environment and good for sensitive skin. Instead get the most serious stuff you can find - enzymes, super stain removing, works in cold water etc.

Stand them aside full of the soapy water while washing the wettie. Then flush them out with fresh water a few times. I do this after every surf - even when surfing twice in a day - it adds a negligible amount of time to the procedure. No more smell.

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
Can anyone report on the Billabong Furnace Comp bootie? I felt one up in the store, I liked how light and flexible it was. But, weird sizing... S M L XL. And does the lack of a rubber sole cause issues?

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
A season or two ago I picked up 8mil Xcel booties, also have 7mil Drylock, yes 8mil they are not on Xcel website either? Maybe a Chinese knock off, not sure if they are Drylock and 5mil lobster claw gloves. I may try mittens, but seems like getting the last lobster claw glove on snuggly is always an exercise in frustration.

How much harder/frustrating is the last mitten fitting?

I also have a pair of the Billabong Furnace, they are decent, no sole issue for me, and they work for the standard amount of time in the New England winter sessions, which for me, regardless of 7mil or 8 mil is roughly 2-2.5 hours before I start to lose my ability to pop up like normal and my bones start to get cold.

Reading the above about Solite, just ordered the 8mil booties, look forward to testing them out!

Last edited:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Mittens not much more frustrating than lobster claw but much, much warmer.

Always tough to get the sleeve to roll over the glove smoothly at the end. One thing is I used to put my weaker (left) hand on first just out of habit and recently (30+ years into surfing) started putting my stronger hand on first and made it much easier to get the second glove/mitten on correctly.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Just picked up the Billabong 7 mil with new fuzzy lining, loving them so far.

Apr 20, 2010
East Coast Armpit
Has anyone checked out the new Xcel drylock boots made out of the Channel Flex neoprene? Supposed to be similar to technobutter. I have an old pair still going strong but wouldn't mind something lighter and more flexy.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Had for 2 socal winters. Molded per instructions. Leaks, not warm and strap came loose.
I hope not, again just ordered 8mils at $100+, I will provide a full review as the water gets colder here in New England. Water temp this morning is still a balmy 50...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Has anyone checked out the new Xcel drylock boots made out of the Channel Flex neoprene? Supposed to be similar to technobutter. I have an old pair still going strong but wouldn't mind something lighter and more flexy.
I have some of the newest 7mm round toes. They're warmer than the 7mm split toe billabong but they're still pretty new. The main material is different looking than the old ones but I will be surprised if they don't start soaking up water and get heavy as they age. I don't notice any added flexibility but they're 7mm so they're pretty beefy regardless. I'm stoked on the half sizing. 10.5 fits snug the first few sessions but now is perfect.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It's honestly not that different than 3 mils, which I always wear down in Baja this time of year. The big adjustment is going from no booties. It's much easier once you've adjusted to thin ones to just go thicker.
Yeah I actually trip out at first when I go somewhere warm enough to go bootie-less. Up here a person could get away with 5mm but they won't keep you warm as long, especially once they start to wear in and leak a little. Nothing hinders my surfing worse than numb feet so I er on the thicker side.

Reactions: JTS