America's workers still struggle despite strong jobs reports....

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
This one interests me. Someone who understands economics, could you chime in?

Is this an inflation thing?
People too deep in debt?
People have jobs but they're not paying enough? Wage stagnation?
Housing costs too high?
People spend too much money?
Childcare costs?
Healthcare costs?

What gives?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
The people that build, teach, protect and serve America are not paid enough. Wages and salaries have not kept pace with rising costs of all those things you mentioned.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
People spend beyond their means....

People complain all the time about how much they’re struggling.

Have cable TV and internet.
Have iphone.
Have a car payment or two or three.
Eat out almost daily.
Drink booze.
Smoke weed.
Some smoke cigarettes at $8-10 per pack. Pack a day or more. Add it up.
Travel.

Dude on this forum has a bank ”suing“ him because he “can’t“ pay his bills yet he has a car some sort of device to post his thread here and says he can’t work because he just enrolled in college.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
There is also the crushing tax burden. Take a look at your pay stub next week and imagine if all that money your employer pays you wasn’t confiscated from you by the government. Add to that property taxes, sales taxes, fuel taxes and every other tax that sucks you dry. It’s insane the amount of taxes taken from a family’s income to support the bloated government.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
There is also the crushing tax burden. Take a look at your pay stub next week and imagine if all that money your employer pays you wasn’t confiscated from you by the government. Add to that property taxes, sales taxes, fuel taxes and every other tax that sucks you dry. It’s insane the amount of taxes taken from a family’s income to support the bloated government.

That's how much has been taken from me to date this year. There are 3 more paychecks.for all the government entities to take from me. And obviously this isn't counting all of the other fees and taxes that aren't income tax. I mean fuck, I have to pay around $7k in property taxes too

Imagine how much more I could do with that money. I'd have no debt besides mortgage if I had that money back; and that's just from 11 months of this year

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

That's how much has been taken from me to date this year. There are 3 more paychecks.for all the government entities to take from me. And obviously this isn't counting all of the other fees and taxes that aren't income tax. I mean fook, I have to pay around $7k in property taxes too

Imagine how much more I could do with that money. I'd have no debt besides mortgage if I had that money back; and that's just from 11 months of this year
Yep. It’s insane. The summer job I had in college involved a ton of driving and I got sick of listening to music in the car 30 hours a week. I came across a radio show where the host was a big proponent of small government and the injustice of the income tax. Every Friday he would close out his show with a simple statement: “Have you looked at your paycheck lately?!” That has always stuck with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

That's how much has been taken from me to date this year. There are 3 more paychecks.for all the government entities to take from me. And obviously this isn't counting all of the other fees and taxes that aren't income tax. I mean fook, I have to pay around $7k in property taxes too

Imagine a life with no taxes.

Now imagine living in Somalia.

Reactions: gbg

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Why are wages stagnant in the greatest economy in history?
“Even so, more recent data suggest that Americans are seeing stronger income growth. The typical household saw its annual income rise from $60,973 in January 2017 — when Mr. Trump was inaugurated — to $65,976 in August 2019, according to recent research from Sentier Research. That's a gain of about $5,000 during the past two and a half years.“

7D9DFA23-A345-4AAF-8548-E12F5B377B5B.png

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
One of the issues we're still dealing with, is catching up with overall inflation not counted in typical reporting.

The stagnating wage growth from 2000 to 2016 was pretty brutal. We went thru more than a decade without much for raises, unless you were a bottom rung employee moving up. Many with more senior positions saw little in wage increases during those 16 years. Granted "basic" inflation was not off the charts either, but other taxes and fees were NOT curbed at all (Obamacare being one huge chunk out of small business). Only recently are we seeing any real semblance of wage growth, but we still have a lot of catching up for the previous 16 years of stagnation. It will take years of wage growth to get back to anything resembling "normal".